Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other than AB news

Legend

User Info Menu

Other than AB news

Roster moves are a constant in the NFL and the latest comes in advance of Sunday's game against the New England Patriots.

The team signed receiver Johnny Holton, who was on the practice squad, to the 53-man roster.

In the preseason Holton had seven receptions for 167 yards and a touchdown. In the preseason finale against Carolina he had three catches for 86 yards and a 31-yard touchdown reception.

Holton, who originally signed with the Steelers in May, entered the NFL as an undrafted rookie free agent, signing with the Oakland Raiders following the 2016 NFL Draft. He spent time on the Raiders active roster and practice squad. Holton had 11 receptions with the Raiders for 252 yards and three touchdowns. He also had six carries for 43 yards.

Holton played college football at the University of Cincinnati where he caught 46 passes for 892 yards and 10 touchdowns in his two years there. He added 45 kickoff returns for 902 yards.

To make room for Holton on the roster the team waived rookie linebacker Tuzar Skipper.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

I liked Skipper. Hope he can make it to our practice squad somehow.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

They always seem to sign one of our cast offs right before we play them.

Edit: I read the OP wrong. I thought NE signed him.
    Last edited by Oh wow; 09-07-2019 at 05:05 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

don't like this move at all. WR like Holton are a dime a dozen

a potential play making LB like skipper offers much more upside, imo

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Both deserved a spot on the roster. Hope they can keep Skipper around.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    Roster moves are a constant in the NFL and the latest comes in advance of Sunday's game against the New England Patriots.

The team signed receiver Johnny Holton, who was on the practice squad, to the 53-man roster.

In the preseason Holton had seven receptions for 167 yards and a touchdown. In the preseason finale against Carolina he had three catches for 86 yards and a 31-yard touchdown reception.

Holton, who originally signed with the Steelers in May, entered the NFL as an undrafted rookie free agent, signing with the Oakland Raiders following the 2016 NFL Draft. He spent time on the Raiders active roster and practice squad. Holton had 11 receptions with the Raiders for 252 yards and three touchdowns. He also had six carries for 43 yards.

Holton played college football at the University of Cincinnati where he caught 46 passes for 892 yards and 10 touchdowns in his two years there. He added 45 kickoff returns for 902 yards.

To make room for Holton on the roster the team waived rookie linebacker Tuzar Skipper.
    I'm thinking that they needed to secure Skipper on the roster to see what the outlook is for Ola. If they let him go now then they must be confident that he will be returning soon. I was hoping that both Skipper and Holton would make the squad but it is a numbers game. The only way it could happen would be at the expense of someone like Matakevich and there is no way they keep two UDFAs with zero combined games under their belts and let a seasoned vet go.

Legend

User Info Menu

Holton plays special teams. Seems like DHB 2.0 in that respect. Up until the last week of the preseason, Skipper was not participating in any special teams.

We kept Skipper through that first rush of cuts and claims when everyone had to get down to 53.

Now if someone wants to add Skipper to their roster, it would be on the eve of the first game with zero practice with his new team, so it's likely he'll be able to be signed to our P.S. now.

And, yes, it also could be a good sign that Adeniyi's rehab from meniscus surgery is going well.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Holton plays special teams. Seems like DHB 2.0 in that respect. Up until the last week of the preseason, Skipper was not participating in any special teams.

We kept Skipper through that first rush of cuts and claims when everyone had to get down to 53.

Now if someone wants to add Skipper to their roster, it would be on the eve of the first game with zero practice with his new team, so it's likely he'll be able to be signed to our P.S. now.

And, yes, it also could be a good sign that Adeniyi's rehab from meniscus surgery is going well.
    I like everything about this analysis.

Legend

User Info Menu

Or maybe this is just trolling the Raiders.

Hey, Oakland, look! We are starting the season with 2 former Raider wideouts on our 53 man roster (Switzer and Holton).

How many former Steeler wideouts are on your current 53 man roster?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Or maybe this is just trolling the Raiders.

Hey, Oakland, look! We are starting the season with 2 former Raider wideouts on our 53 man roster (Switzer and Holton).

How many former Steeler wideouts are on your current 53 man roster?
    Ummm what is 0 Alex

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.