Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Who will be our wr coach? Richard mann or hines ward

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    We need to remember he would be coaching the WRs, not the OC. August isn’t exactly a prime month to find coaching replacements.
    I hear you. Just hearing that name struck a nerve. Sherman was arguably one of the worst coaches we've had.

Yes, being a WR coach isn't the same as being an OC.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    In a similar vein...

Dick LeBeau was a better coordinator than head coach...

Mike Munchak was a better position coach than head coach...

It would appear that Ray Sherman is likely a better position coach than coordinator.

At least we have to hope so.

Or maybe instead of making Ray Sherman the WR coach and Blaine Stewart the assistant WR coach...

We make Blaine Stewart the WR coach and keep Ray Sherman around as a consultant.

(kind of like how Karl Dunbar is our DL coach but John Mitchell is still around as a consultant).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Or maybe instead of making Ray Sherman the WR coach and Blaine Stewart the assistant WR coach...

We make Blaine Stewart the WR coach and keep Ray Sherman around as a consultant.
    That is what I was figuring. It all depends on how the team likes Stewart, but promoting the young guy to keep a sense of continuity and give him a more experienced ear to bend when needed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I hear you. Just hearing that name struck a nerve. Sherman was arguably one of the worst coaches we've had.

Was he really? As I recall that era, Cowher had a habit of throwing coaches under the bus so it was their fault and not his. It was Cowher who almost mandated "Marty ball" for the offense so I'm not sure any OC really had a chance

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I've also heard Jericho Cotchery could come in

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Was he really? As I recall that era, Cowher had a habit of throwing coaches under the bus so it was their fault and not his. It was Cowher who almost mandated "Marty ball" for the offense so I'm not sure any OC really had a chance
    Not sure this is true. Chan seemed to be doing ok with Kordell and the O a year earlier. Everything was pointing up before he left.

I always thought of Sherman as a guy who tried to force his system vs adapting to the players he had.

But to your point, I never really know how much credit/blame should be credited to different coaches. The HC has an impact as do the coordinators and position coaches. I guess I'd lean toward Cowher was there when Chan was doing fine. What has Sherman accomplished in his career to lead us to believe we should give him the benefit of the doubt? Maybe there's something. I don't know. I'm just going off my gut reaction for the 1 yr he was here. So I'm sure I could be wrong? The fact that we brought him back means someone didn't think he was all bad.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    I've also heard Jericho Cotchery could come in
    What are your thoughts on this? Would this be a good thing?

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    What are your thoughts on this? Would this be a good thing?

He was a solid WR. I have no idea if he can coach

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    He was a solid WR. I have no idea if he can coach
    Ok. I knew that much just checking if you had some insight into his coaching. Thanks

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

In 2017, Cotchery joined the Carolina Panthers coaching staff as the assistant wide receiver coach.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.