Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Who will be our wr coach? Richard mann or hines ward

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I always thought of Sherman as a guy who tried to force his system vs adapting to the players he had.
    I'm trying to remember who the OC was at the time, it might have been Gilbride, who put Kordell into a system that was horrible for him and his receivers. Everything was an option based on where the defender was positioned i.e. if the defender plays the receiver on this side then break here, otherwise if he does this then receiver goes here.

Stewart was still pretty young and not much experience as a QB reading the D. On top of that, he had a young group of receivers who were also raw when it came to diagnosing the play and being on the same page as the QB. Awful system for them at that time.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I'm trying to remember who the OC was at the time, it might have been Gilbride, who put Kordell into a system that was horrible for him and his receivers. Everything was an option based on where the defender was positioned i.e. if the defender plays the receiver on this side then break here, otherwise if he does this then receiver goes here.

Stewart was still pretty young and not much experience as a QB reading the D. On top of that, he had a young group of receivers who were also raw when it came to diagnosing the play and being on the same page as the QB. Awful system for them at that time.
    You are correct sir. Gilbride's (aka 'killpride') offense was based on reads of the defense. The big problem was that QB and receiver didn't always read the same thing. Way too complex for modern day players that switch teams at the drop of a hat.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post

I thought Kordell was a big part of hiring Gilbride. Maybe I'm misremembering though.