Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will be our wr coach? Richard mann or hines ward

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    if we're going to consider random former players like Big Play Willie Gay
    Gay is not just a random former player name being thrown out there. He is a current coaching intern who has been working with the players in Latrobe this whole time. He's not a guy we'd be calling off the street or something. It's basically a try out to see if he is a guy who we might want to hire full time or not. I know that in the past, Mark Bruener and Chidi Iwuoma parlayed scouting internships with us into roles as permanent members of our scouting staff.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Gay is not just a random former player name being thrown out there. He is a current coaching intern who has been working with the players in Latrobe this whole time. He's not a guy we'd be calling off the street or something. It's basically a try out to see if he is a guy who we might want to hire full time or not. I know that in the past, Mark Bruener and Chidi Iwuoma parlayed scouting internships with us into roles as permanent members of our scouting staff.
    I guess I'm not smart enough to figure how a former DB can help develop WRs and the skills they need

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I guess I'm not smart enough to figure how a former DB can help develop WRs and the skills they need
    Mike Tomlin played WR in college and then spent significant time coaching DBs in college and in the NFL.

Legend

User Info Menu

Gay was a smart DB. Not necessarily the most athletic dude, but he was able to learn the tricks of the trade. Perhaps he could impart upon the young WRs little hints that he picked up in all of his years covering wideouts. Maybe something like this little hitch in your step when you cut clues me in that you are running a hook route as opposed to an out route or whatever. Also give them clues about how to beat a corner who is trying to jam you or things like that.

Mike Tomlin was a WR by trade and coached WR's at VMI and Arkansas State before moving over to coaching the defensive secondary instead. Tomlin was a WR who coached DB's...maybe Gay could be a DB who coaches WR's.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Kordell. LOL
    Far better than Ben and perhaps the best Steeler QB of all time.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Gay was a smart DB. Not necessarily the most athletic dude, but he was able to learn the tricks of the trade. Perhaps he could impart upon the young WRs little hints that he picked up in all of his years covering wideouts. Maybe something like this little hitch in your step when you cut clues me in that you are running a hook route as opposed to an out route or whatever. Also give them clues about how to beat a corner who is trying to jam you or things like that.
    Thumps chest one last time on calling that about Gay... I believe it was Madden that called him camp fodder that year, and I said not only will he make the team, he'd last a decade and will remind you of Deshea (not quite athletic, but, smart enough to make plays)

Mike Tomlin was a WR by trade and coached WR's at VMI and Arkansas State before moving over to coaching the defensive secondary instead. Tomlin was a WR who coached DB's...maybe Gay could be a DB who coaches WR's.
    Interesting perspective on both Gay and Tomlin - when i read that Gay was working with WRs i thought it was odd. But, that's a really good "call-out" on both him and MikeT. Being able to give the knowledge of what it is that you're trying to beat makes a HUGE difference.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Some chat on the FAN that Jerricho Cotchery could be in the mix for the position.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Thumps chest one last time on calling that about Gay... I believe it was Madden that called him camp fodder that year, and I said not only will he make the team, he'd last a decade and will remind you of Deshea (not quite athletic, but, smart enough to make plays)

Interesting perspective on both Gay and Tomlin - when i read that Gay was working with WRs i thought it was odd. But, that's a really good "call-out" on both him and MikeT. Being able to give the knowledge of what it is that you're trying to beat makes a HUGE difference.
    I don’t even think it’s about teaching them the secrets of DB’s.

Most DB’s are former WR’s.

Anyone who has played WR in organized football was also playing DB at some point as well.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It’s not deep at all. WR’s and DB’s are damn near interchangeable. Only difference is tackling. Most DB’s were former WR’s who couldn’t catch... lol.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Blaine Stewart is the front runner, from what I've heard.