Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Hilton to follow Alejandro Villanueva plan; seeks long-term deal not ERFA tender

Legend

User Info Menu

Mike Hilton to follow Alejandro Villanueva plan; seeks long-term deal not ERFA tender

Report: Mike Hilton won’t sign ERFA tender, wants new deal with Steelers

Posted by Josh Alper on March 20, 2019, 2:58 PM EDT

Steelers left tackle Alejandro Villanueva held off on signing his $615,000 exclusive rights free agent tender in 2017 because he wanted a contract that better represented his role on the team.

Villanueva wound up getting that contract and one of his teammates is reportedly looking for something similar to play out for him this offseason.

Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com reports that cornerback Mike Hilton has no plans to sign the $645,000 tender extended by the team. He can’t negotiate with any other teams as exclusive rights free agents are bound to their teams once tendered, but he can negotiate with the Steelers about new terms.

Villanueva practiced with the team throughout the 2017 offseason without signing the tender and Fowler reports Hilton plans to do the same thing.

Hilton has played in all but one game over the last two seasons and has 121 tackles, three interceptions and a forced fumble.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/20/report-mike-hilton-wont-sign-erfa-tender-wants-new-deal-with-steelers/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

Contract situation to watch in Pittsburgh: After two productive years, slot corner Mike Hilton plans to wait to sign his exclusive rights tender in efforts for new contract, per source. One of team's best tacklers won't miss offseason work, though. Similar approach to left tackle Al Villanueva, who got a new deal before 2017 training camp after not signing his tender. The rub: Productive players don't love playing on the minimum.

1h
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

My thoughts,

I am not even sure if he is in long term plans. He played well enough to earn an extended contract, but has he cemented his position on this D? Would Allen supplant him this year?

Risky on his part...

Backup

User Info Menu

how much is he asking for?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

AV is a starting LT who got a late start in the NFL due to his service. Hilton doesn't have the same leverage unless he's looking for a fair contract.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post

I am not even sure if he is in long term plans.

Risky on his part...
    guess we'll find out soon by the way the Steelers react to this.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He should get a fair contract. Hopefully he gets it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    AV is a starting LT who got a late start in the NFL due to his service. Hilton doesn't have the same leverage unless he's looking for a fair contract.
    AV wasn’t paid a far price for LT. We got him on the cheap of I’m not mistaken.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    AV wasn’t paid a far price for LT. We got him on the cheap of I’m not mistaken.
    We did.....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    He should get a fair contract. Hopefully he gets it.
    I'd agree with this.