Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Where Will It End?!?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    I don’t care about Faulk or 20 years ago. It’s a totally different game.
    That was never my argument.
    THAT IS my point Dizz. The NFL HAS changed. Paying elite backs has not won a championship this year, last year, going back TWENTY years.
    Sure many things affect wins and loses.
    But how is it that even by coincedence.....pure chance....NOT ONE RB who "got paid" got rings?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Dak is apparently looking for over $30M, and Zeke and Cooper will likely be commanding contracts approaching $15M.

That means those 3 guys will likely account for $60M per year just for the 3 of them (it might break down in something like $32M/$14.5M/$13.5M, but it will likely be in the neighborhood of $60M.

They just signed DE DeMarcus Lawrence a few months ago to a long term deal averaging $20M. That's now $80M for 4 guys.

On their OL, Zack Martin makes an average of $14M per year, Tyron Smith just over $12M, and Travis Frederick just over $9M, so those 3 guys add another $35M+ to the cap. We are now up to $115M for just SEVEN GUYS!!!

Only one of the guys mentioned so far plays defense (Lawrence), so we're be looking at $95M for 6 guys who all play on offense. Now what happens when other defenders like Byron Jones, Jaylon Smith, and Leighton Vander Esch want to get paid in the next few years?
    You shed weight. You can’t keep everyone, some guys production will slip but you keep the guys who give you the best chance to win now.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    THAT IS my point Dizz. The NFL HAS changed. Paying elite backs has not won a championship this year, last year, going back TWENTY years.
    But how is it that even by coincedence.....pure chance....NOT ONE RB who "got paid" got rings?
    The Ram's paid Gurley last season and they were in the Superbowl, sure they played a bad game and lost but I think it shows that you can pay a RB and win. Besides you only have like 6 teams with "high paid" backs and only 3 of those backs make over 10 mil per year. There are a lot more teams with low paid backs not winning rings also so I'm not sure how you can make the correlation.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    The Ram's paid Gurley last season and they were in the Superbowl, sure they played a bad game and lost but I think it shows that you can pay a RB and win. Besides you only have like 6 teams with "high paid" backs and only 3 of those backs make over 10 mil per year. There are a lot more teams with low paid backs not winning rings also so I'm not sure how you can make the correlation.
    Exactly. They also paid Cook at WR.

But since they didn’t win... lol.

It’s a silly argument and Zeke is going to get paid.

For me it doesn’t matter if you win the SB. Does it give you a better chance at making the playoffs which gives you the chance to win a SB? If so then it’s good business.

Too many random things happen in a game to point directly to one position and a contract and say it’s the reason why they won or lost.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    But you have to admit that part of that is just because the Pats don't do it and they skew all the stats.

Maybe the Rams win last year with a good QB on a rookie deal and an elite RB if they didn't have to play the best dynasty of all time in the SB.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Dak is apparently looking for over $30M, and Zeke and Cooper will likely be commanding contracts approaching $15M.

That means those 3 guys will likely account for $60M per year just for the 3 of them (it might break down in something like $32M/$14.5M/$13.5M, but it will likely be in the neighborhood of $60M.

They just signed DE DeMarcus Lawrence a few months ago to a long term deal averaging $20M. That's now $80M for 4 guys.

On their OL, Zack Martin makes an average of $14M per year, Tyron Smith just over $12M, and Travis Frederick just over $9M, so those 3 guys add another $35M+ to the cap. We are now up to $115M for just SEVEN GUYS!!!

Only one of the guys mentioned so far plays defense (Lawrence), so we're be looking at $95M for 6 guys who all play on offense. Now what happens when other defenders like Byron Jones, Jaylon Smith, and Leighton Vander Esch want to get paid in the next few years?
    They let them walk and find new guys in the draft.

I think it would be interesting to look at SB winners and %age of playing on 3rd contracts. I think players on 3rd contracts tend to get paid for past performance and don't live up to their contracts (but maybe sell season tickets).

BB seems to flip those guys for draft picks more than other teams do.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    But you have to admit that part of that is just because the Pats don't do it and they skew all the stats.

Maybe the Rams win last year with a good QB on a rookie deal and an elite RB if they didn't have to play the best dynasty of all time in the SB.
    Doesn’t matter IMO if you win the SB. If you make it to a SB it’s proof your model was successful.

Anything can happen in one game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Now what happens when other defenders like Byron Jones, Jaylon Smith, and Leighton Vander Esch want to get paid in the next few years?
    I call dibs on Vander Esch in free agency! Me likey LVE and Devin Bush in the middle of our D.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jaylon Smith agrees to extension with Cowboys

Posted by Josh Alper on August 20, 2019, 3:49 PM EDT

The Cowboys have announced a press conference covering a contract extension for a current member of the team for Tuesday afternoon.

It won’t Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott or Amari Cooper meeting the media to discuss a new pact, however.

According to multiple reports, linebacker Jaylon Smith has agreed to terms on an extension with the team. Those terms have not come to light at this point.

Smith has been mentioned as a future extension candidate throughout the offseason, but many expected his deal would take a back seat to the offensive players because Smith was under team control through the 2020 season. Smith was set to become a restricted free agent after this season as a result of missing his rookie year with a knee injury suffered while at Notre Dame.

Smith made it clear he wants to be in Dallas for the long term, though, and the sides were able to ensure that will be the case.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/20/jaylon-smith-agrees-to-extension-with-cowboys/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I call dibs on Vander Esch in free agency! Me likey LVE and Devin Bush in the middle of our D.
    Seems like a waste when Shazier will be back and league MVP.