Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Where Will It End?!?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    I really don’t think there is pressure to earn as much as possible when you are already worth X amount of dollars.

Some people have egos and want to earn every dollar they can from an org (can’t knock them) and others are content making a lot of money AND having the best chance to win.
    Also truth here. Quality of life in reality won't change EVEN IF wifey wasn't rich.

Brady is essentially the most successful football player IN HISTORY aided by not maxing out his earning potential.

"Settling" for 10s of millions annually for one of the longest careers in history in order to have unparalleled winning......not a sacrifice, it is smart.

Legend

User Info Menu

Who caught the game winning TD in the 2nd win vs the Pats? Plaxico Burress.
    You know who it WASNT?
    OBJ....Eli's best receiver ever...
    You know who the starting runningback was?
    Not the Giants all time leading rusher who played with Eli.

Speaking of SB winning catches....Ben threw one....NOT to "the best receiver of the era" he played with, Brown.
    What teammate of Ben's has the SB RECORD long run?
    Not the "best back in the league" he played with, Bell.

That same season (2005) Ben won with Willie Parker, do you know what first team all pro back had 1800 yards?
    Tiki Barber....
    Yet Ben, not Eli won that season.
    Eli would win it. AFTER Tiki was gone.

Peyton played SIX YEARS with Edgerin James....perennial HOF candidate and Colts all time leading rusher.
    He won his first SB THE YEAR AFTER EDGE WAS GONE.
    He DID have the ONLY HOF caliber receiver/back on that team.....the exception to my rule Marvin Harrison (actually it is surprising even to me that he is the only one).

But as YOU'VE stated MANY TIMES on this forum, DEFENSE led by BOB SANDERS that season CARRIED Peyton to that championship. As did defense featuring an elite secondary with Aquib Talib and Chis Harris carry an aging Peyton to his Bronco victory.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I really don’t think there is pressure to earn as much as possible when you are already worth X amount of dollars.

Some people have egos and want to earn every dollar they can from an org (can’t knock them) and others are content making a lot of money AND having the best chance to win.
    In the NFL players are pretty literally trading life expectancy for money.

If I were in that situation, I'd be selling years of my life as expensively as possible. I'd actually probably retire after my first contract. But, I also think players with that kind of attitude would probably get weeded out at lower levels because you pretty much have to be 100% in to make it to the NFL.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 08-20-2019 at 10:28 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    In the NFL players are pretty literally trading life expectancy for money.

If I were in that situation, I'd be selling years of my life as expensively as possible. I'd actually probably retire after my first contract. But, I also think players with that kind of attitude would probably get weeded out at lower levels because you pretty much have to be 100% in to make it to the NFL.
    This is somewhat true. Players know the risk. You have some guys who come from nothing who are going to try and make as much as possible and you have players who may have lived more comfortable upbringings who aren’t as concerned with being paid the highest because they prefer stability.

I’m sure Billicheat has a number he won’t pay for Brady and Brady knows he could move to a new team and get huge money but there is loyalty and stability.

Everyone has a number.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    You know who it WASNT?
    OBJ....Eli's best receiver ever...
    You know who the starting runningback was?
    Not the Giants all time leading rusher who played with Eli.

Speaking of SB winning catches....Ben threw one....NOT to "the best receiver of the era" he played with, Brown.
    What teammate of Ben's has the SB RECORD long run?
    Not the "best back in the league" he played with, Bell.

That same season (2005) Ben won with Willie Parker, do you know what first team all pro back had 1800 yards?
    Tiki Barber....
    Yet Ben, not Eli won that season.
    Eli would win it. AFTER Tiki was gone.

Peyton played SIX YEARS with Edgerin James....perennial HOF candidate and Colts all time leading rusher.
    He won his first SB THE YEAR AFTER EDGE WAS GONE.
    He DID have the ONLY HOF caliber receiver/back on that team.....the exception to my rule Marvin Harrison (actually it is surprising even to me that he is the only one).

But as YOU'VE stated MANY TIMES on this forum, DEFENSE led by BOB SANDERS that season CARRIED Peyton to that championship. As did defense featuring an elite secondary with Aquib Talib and Chis Harris carry an aging Peyton to his Bronco victory.
    You really going to use OBJ when they have no OL and Eli can barely get to his 5 step before getting hit?

I seriously doubt that Giants team will be better than the Browns this year.

You keep bringing up a totally different argument but at cool.

Only one team will win a SB every year. Multiple teams will try and most will spend money on skill positions to try and gain an advantage.

You keep yapping about who won a SB but 31 other teams donít win it every year.

Right now we have just about everything you say we need to make a serious run so letís see if you are correct.

We donít even have to win it all. If we go deep in the playoffs then I will concede you are correct.

If we miss the playoffs??
    Last edited by Oh wow; 08-20-2019 at 11:21 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

You guys arguing that Brady's taking lesser pay is the reason for Patriot success miss this point.
    True they have an advantage....but STILL they dont spend on the wrong positions.
    They can AFFORD to pay more but dont...why?

Additionally,
    I have shown PLENTY OF OTHER examples INCLUDING OUR TEAM to back my contention. Again:
    Ben has 2 ring yet NONE with arguably the best receiver and back of the era.
    Eli has 2 rings yet none with the best back and receiver in Giants history who he played with.
    Brady played with the most explosive receiver in the history of the league (not best...most explosive) Moss and has SIX rings.....none with him.
    Peyton....2 rings, none with the most prolific back in Colts history, ONE with Harrison a great player who had never reached 60 yards in a playoff game and had zero postseason TDs that year.
    Rogers/ Brees/ Wilson/ one each with no great receivers....Lynch....best back any of these elite QBs won a championship with...all pro once. Defense won that SB.

Look at secondary players on those teams. EVERY ONE SAVE FOR ELI.....elite secondary players.

It has not worked for just NE.
    They are just the only ones who are clearly DELIBERATE in those priorities, they have figured it out.

Legend

User Info Menu

You really going to use OBJ when they have no OL and Eli can barely get to his 5 step before getting hit?

I seriously doubt that Giants team will be better than the Browns this year.

You keep bringing up a totally different argument but at cool.

Only one team will win a SB every year. Multiple teams will try and most will spend money on skill positions to try and gain an advantage.

You keep yapping about who won a SB but 31 other teams don’t win it every year.
    Look at the bolded part of your quote Dizz.
    When has it worked to produce a championship since Faulk?

Dizz, we are talking a twenty year span.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Look at the bolded part of your quote Dizz.
    When has it worked to produce a championship since Faulk?

Dizz, we are talking a twenty year span.
    I donít care about Faulk or 20 years ago. Itís a totally different game.

2 years ago we were a TE micro-bobble from a number 1 seed and home field advantage.

Saints got hosed on a blatant INT no call last year.

Itís not always due to adding or subtracting a player or 2 or a contract.

But Iím done talking about this SB from 20 years ago. That was never my argument.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post

In the two years Joe played here so far with a true franchise QB in Ben, that was cancelled out by the presence of a couple of well-publicized highly-paid distractions at WR and RB.

Now that we have Haden plus Ben minus Brown and Bell we can truly put Lemming's model to the test.

If the Steelers win the Super Bowl this year with a top QB and DB in Ben and Haden and no big money diva WR's or RB's anymore, that'll clinch it.
    I dont think so. Haden "is" good, by the standard we are used to.
    Do the Google search and look for Haden in any list:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...iz.rcHYNpwyj6E

Frankly I think these list underrate him but STILL to try to make the case that he is playing at an "elite" level and EVERYBODY misses that bad?
    We are just used to HORRIBLE corners......Haden is "great" by comparison.

If we didnt have 20 million tied up in Brown....we'd get him some help beyond the 2nd tier guy we did add.

Legend

User Info Menu

Dak is apparently looking for over $30M, and Zeke and Cooper will likely be commanding contracts approaching $15M.

That means those 3 guys will likely account for $60M per year just for the 3 of them (it might break down in something like $32M/$14.5M/$13.5M, but it will likely be in the neighborhood of $60M.

They just signed DE DeMarcus Lawrence a few months ago to a long term deal averaging $20M. That's now $80M for 4 guys.

On their OL, Zack Martin makes an average of $14M per year, Tyron Smith just over $12M, and Travis Frederick just over $9M, so those 3 guys add another $35M+ to the cap. We are now up to $115M for just SEVEN GUYS!!!

Only one of the guys mentioned so far plays defense (Lawrence), so we're be looking at $95M for 6 guys who all play on offense. Now what happens when other defenders like Byron Jones, Jaylon Smith, and Leighton Vander Esch want to get paid in the next few years?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.