Thread: Where Will It End?!?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Jerry Jones after Tony Pollard impresses: 'Zeke who?'

By Andie Hagemann
    Around The NFL Writer
    Published: Aug. 18, 2019

Dallas Cowboys rookie running back Tony Pollard once again impressed Saturday night in his second preseason start.

Pollard's back-to-back outings has Cowboys owner Jerry Jones joking to reporters that the 2019 fourth-round pick is Ezekiel Elliott's best negotiator: "Who? Now Zeke who?"

Elliott remains away from the team while the All-Pro running back seeks a new deal. In his absence, Pollard has been able to make an impact immediately for Dallas' offense.

Pollard had five carries for 42 yards and one touchdown in the Week 2 preseason matchup against the Rams.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ab-all-all-out
    Quick question:
    What RB has the ALL TIME SINGLE SEASON rushing record for the Cowboys?
    Aint Hershel, ain’t Emmitt.

Jerry “wisely” (yes it is rare) chose not to overspend on Demarco Murray THE SEASON AFTER HE SET THE FRANCHISE RUSHING RECORD.
    They let him walk.
    Replaced by Elliot....who now is “indispensable?”

Nah, he ain’t getting paid.....Jones brash statement here seals it. I wish the Cowboys would, it would be stupid.

Legend

User Info Menu

Try as they might to reset the RB market, it's not going to happen. It was really the Gurley signing that woke up a lot of GMs to the hazard of big money to the position and things not working out for the team. It's been demonstrated multiple times that good RBs are not all that difficult to find replacements.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Try as they might to reset the RB market, it's not going to happen. It was really the Gurley signing that woke up a lot of GMs to the hazard of big money to the position and things not working out for the team. It's been demonstrated multiple times that good RBs are not all that difficult to find replacements.
    That’s what I told feltdizz two years ago. There is no need to pay big money when running backs are easily replaceable. Pollard looked good against the Rams; zeke has no leverage. Neither does Gordon.

And at least three more studs are coming out of college next year.
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 08-19-2019 at 02:07 AM.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Lmao at thinking 5 carries for 42 yards..in a preseason game? Lmao

Zeke is going to get paid.

Gurley didn’t wake anyone up. It’s football. Players get hurt all the time. It’s not going to stop Zeke from cashing in.

Every year studs come out at multiple positions and it doesn’t stop the best skill positions from getting paid.

Tony Romo 2 days ago:” Zeke is going to get paid and remain a Cowboy”

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Depends what the definition of getting paid is.

Gurley reset the market. Bell was next man up - even though he wanted to be the guy who reset the market. Typically, next man up gets more than the last guy. He did not. Little by little top RBs will settle into the range of $10-13M. I also don't see guaranteed money growing like at other positions. All the while QBs, CBs, edge rushers will all continue to climb.

Legend

User Info Menu

The question is who do you pay?

Most pay QBs, but most QBs are pretty good now and there's not a huge delta and even QBs feel a little replaceable.

RBs and WRs are mostly a dime a dozen and those are positions if you're paying, you're probably not going to be that good of a team.

I think you have to figure out the best equation you can come up with to give your QB more time to make plays and hurry up the opposing team's QB. How you do that is inexact. And I'm sure everyone feels slightly different about who to pay.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The question is who do you pay?

Most pay QBs, but most QBs are pretty good now and there's not a huge delta and even QBs feel a little replaceable.

RBs and WRs are mostly a dime a dozen and those are positions if you're paying, you're probably not going to be that good of a team.

I think you have to figure out the best equation you can come up with to give your QB more time to make plays and hurry up the opposing team's QB. How you do that is inexact. And I'm sure everyone feels slightly different about who to pay.
    I think what you do is sit down with talent evaluators and number crunchers and examine the NE roster for the last 15 years with a fine tooth comb. I think that it is safe to say that their level of talent does not stand above the rest of the league. So what have they done better than everyone else? (other than cheat...lol) They have mastered the concept of player value. They know which players and which positions to put money and security into, and they know which are expendable.

In a league that is constantly referred to as a copycat league, I don't think that most people know what they are even supposed to be copying.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I think what you do is sit down with talent evaluators and number crunchers and examine the NE roster for the last 15 years with a fine tooth comb. I think that it is safe to say that their level of talent does not stand above the rest of the league. So what have they done better than everyone else? (other than cheat...lol) They have mastered the concept of player value. They know which players and which positions to put money and security into, and they know which are expendable.

In a league that is constantly referred to as a copycat league, I don't think that most people know what they are even supposed to be copying.
    Money post.
    Moneyball is what the Pats do better than ANYBODY.

80s Niners? Rice or Lott? He'd pay Lott
    90s Cowboys? Emmett or D. Sander? Deon every day.

In TODAYS NFL invest in QBs and DBs over all else.
    I am convinced that THERE IS NO RECEIVER OR BACK IN HISTORY that BB would pay elite money to.

HOF QB and elite DB on the same team?
    I cannot recall the last time THAT combo over a span of years failed to win it all.

Think about it people......it almost ALWAYS works.

"Can" you win without those? Sure, Philly did it a couple of years ago with NEITHER.

But that combo pretty much will ALWAYS work.

The Pats know this, and allocate their funds to those ends.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 08-19-2019 at 11:03 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

In the modern NFL where teams need to be able to pass and stop the pass, it makes sense that you'd want to pay your QB first and DB's second. And since you want to keep your QB vertical and get the opposing QB horizontal, the next two priorities would be OL and pass rusher.

We seem to be understanding this now. Our top cap hits right now are Ben (QB), Heyward (pass rush), DeCastro (OL), Haden (DB), Tuitt (pass rush), Dupree (pass rush), Villaneuva (OL), and Pouncey (OL).

Plus, the contract that we signed DB Steven Nelson to has a low base salary this year, but his cap hit next year would vault him up into this level as well.

Right now, all of our RB and WR appear to be young and cheap.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben /Troy....2 rings.
    Peyton.....ONLY WON SB when he had AllPro DB talent 2 rings.
    Rogers......Charles Woodson....none since, 1 ring.
    Even Drew Brees....people forget this, his best teammate, the best DB he ever played with... 1st team AllPro ...Darrin Sharper 1 Ring
    R. Wilson.....TWO all pro DBs....1 ring
    TOM BRADY?
    ZERO SB wins in seasons when he does not have at least ONE Pro Bowl DB

Add to that other non HOF caliber QBs helped by elite secondry play

J. Flacco
    B. Johnson
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 08-19-2019 at 11:42 AM.