Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where Will It End?!?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Bad comparison.
    82 games worth of money results in salaries divided by only TWELVE guys.
    What would salaries be if you only paid the starting offense......that is the NBA.
    No it isn’t. As long as a sport is making money the contracts will continue to rise regardless of the sport or a cap or no cap.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    And the more those guys get paid, the less money there is left to go around to rest of the team. That's the way it works with a salary cap. I'd love to see the Cowboys pay Dak a deal in excess of the $30 million he turned down - it would cripple that team for the duration of the contract.

Definitely. But we rarely see a skill position contracts shrink.

The cap keeps going up too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This is where you miss the boat Dizz. You never factor in the fact that you have a finite cap you need to deal with.
    It doesnt matter what piece of that pie a player thinks he "deserves". All that matters is are you better off with him or without him...AND the extra dough saved by not paying him.

QB is the most valuable position. Seahawk RIGHTLY paid a guy who is not easily replaced.

Cowboys? Dak can walk before he gets no 30 mil.....he aint getting more than 20 from me.

There are like 4 QBs that changed teams last year for far less that I rank with Dak,.
    All said and done if Zek and Dak get what they want they lock up 50 mil between the 2 of them. That means LESS for other positions.
    Dude this is some Captain Obvious stuff.

Of course more for one player means less for another.

The question was “when will it end?”

The answer is it won’t end until the NFL takes a serious financial hit. While I do think Russell Wilson is dynamic what have they won without Sherman and company and no OL? Nada

You always point to rings but they haven’t won jack since they paid Russell. I think they even missed the playoffs and had a few losing seasons since they gave him the bag the first time.
    Last edited by Oh wow; 08-12-2019 at 12:06 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

This is where you miss the boat Dizz. You never factor in the fact that you have a finite cap you need to deal with.
    It doesnt matter what piece of that pie a player thinks he "deserves". All that matters is are you better off with him or without him...AND the extra dough saved by not paying him.

QB is the most valuable position. Seahawk RIGHTLY paid a guy who is not easily replaced.

Cowboys? Dak can walk before he gets no 30 mil.....he aint getting more than 20 from me.

There are like 4 QBs that changed teams last year for far less that I rank with Dak,.
    All said and done if Zek and Dak get what they want they lock up 50 mil between the 2 of them. That means LESS for other positions.
    I agree about the worth of Prescott ($20-25M). However, the problem the Cowboys have is that they have NOTHING behind him and have spent 5 years putting all the pieces together for a Super Bowl run. Dak has lots of leverage and will get overpaid...big time

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I agree about the worth of Prescott ($20-25M). However, the problem the Cowboys have is that they have NOTHING behind him and have spent 5 years putting all the pieces together for a Super Bowl run. Dak has lots of leverage and will get overpaid...big time
    Good....let it happen to the Cowboys.

These agents are the problem....they know the game. They know how to leverage a highly sought after position.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Good....let it happen to the Cowboys.

These agents are the problem....they know the game. They know how to leverage a highly sought after position.
    Agents aren’t the problem.

They just negotiate based on the highest contract from the previous year.

Teams pay who they think will fill seats, keep fans happy and give them a chance to be competitive.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    He does have leverage. But the reality is that there are only 15-16 guys who can really play the QB position. The rest are just "guys". Dak isn't one of those guys. Trade Dak to the Titans for Mariota..straight up. Bum for Bum. Let the Titans give him the money. lol
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Zeke sitting out mitigates the exposure for overpaying Dak. If the team loses while he sits then Jones is able to lower the bar for Dak, which is the extra he will have to pay for Zeke. If the Cowboys fare well then Zeke will have to take a bit less as he sees that he is not as important as he thinks. Of course this isn't how it will work.

However, to put a Steeler lens on this, we should be hoping that if anything, Dak is overpaid and Zeke has to settle for less. We won't have a QB approaching the pay window for at least another three years or so (Rudolph, who will probably not have much of a resume at that point as he continues to back up Ben) and will not be in for a huge deal even then - barring unforeseen circumstances.

We have James Conner, coming off at least one pro bowl nod, only under contract through 2020. The chances of him asking for a market value big time deal beginning in 2021 is greater than that of Rudolph, who is already signed for the 2021 season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Definitely. But we rarely see a skill position contracts shrink.

The cap keeps going up too.
    Right, you don't see the salary paid to any position decrease. So if you pay your QB $30 or $40 million, there is less money to go around.

As an example, f Ben had a cap hit of $30 million instead of $26 million, you probably wouldn't see Steven Nelson on the team this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jones is 76 yrs old. Likely getting desperate for one more SB before he meets his maker.
    Desperate owners make desperate choices. The 'Boys may give Dak what he wants.