Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Tomlin Fails First Test In Challenging Plays In 2019 With Teryl Austin

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    he really sucks at this part of his job

anyone that says otherwise is blowing smoke
    I mean seriously, wtf? that might have been the worst challenge I've ever seen...

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin might win this one...Tit-tat OPI call
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Starter

User Info Menu

That challenge is a good example of the kind that has been failing. The offensive pass interfence call did not look like a good call to me. It was a significant play, so Coach does what he should do, challenge the call. And true to form, even though he had a case and a reasonable challenge, it was upheld. Referees tend to come down in favor of an upheld on calls that are remotely close. Some fans are programmed to call that dumb, but it's not a dumb challenge.

Legend

User Info Menu

Obviously Tomlin
    @Tomlin_Sense

Obviously I lost another challenge. The standard is the standard.

https://twitter.com/Tomlin_Sense?ref...hiefs-Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin On OPI Review Verdict On Johnson’s Negated TD: ‘I’ll Keep That To Myself’

By Dave Bryan
    Posted on August 18, 2019

Pittsburgh Steelers rookie wide receiver Diontae Johnson had a fine NFL preseason debut Saturday night against the Kansas City Chiefs at Heinz Field as the team’s first of two third-round draft picks this year caught 3 passes for 46 yards and a touchdown. Johnson, however, probably should have had another reception for 24 yards and a touchdown Saturday night early in the fourth quarter. Head coach Mike Tomlin likely believes that to be the case as well.

With 14:23 remaining in the fourth quarter, the Steelers offense faced a 2nd and 10 from the Chiefs 24-yard-line, Johnson ran a deep fade route down the left sideline after an outside release and quarterback Joshua Dobbs delivered a nice back shoulder throw to the rookie out of Toledo after he had undergone a nice little hand fighting battle with Chiefs cornerback D’Montre Wade. After catching the football, Johnson managed to break the plane of the goal line for a touchdown. However, a flag had been thrown on the play and Johnson was called for offensive pass interference.

With the play being ruled a touchdown on the field, it was automatically reviewed by the officials. The play was allegedly looked at to see if the penalty on Johnson warranted being overturned as part of the new rule change this past offseason that allows them to do to so. The verdict was that the call on the field stood and thus the pass interference penalty on Johnson negated the touchdown. According to the radio broadcast of the game, Tomlin wasn’t happy with the verdict of the review and you can’t blame him when you watch the replay of what transpired.

Is there more to the play than what we can see via the television angles? It’s hard to know for sure and we likely never will thanks to no all-22 tape during the preseason.

After the game was over, Tomlin was asked during his press conference to give his thoughts on the offensive pass interference review.

“I’ll keep that to myself,” Tomlin said.

While Tomlin is a member of the NFL’s competition committee that put together the details of the new rule that now allows for pass interference penalties to be subject to video review, he didn’t sound like he would be in favor of a potential rule change happening at the end of the 2018 season. He did, however, acknowledge at that time that the competition committee would likely discuss a potential rule change again during the offseason.

“I have a firm position on that,” Tomlin said back in December. “I just worry about the entertainment component of it and what it might do for fans and the viewership and what it looks like. But given some of the things that have happened, I’m sure it will be up for debate as it always is and has been in recent years because technology and the amount of coverage that our game at this level gets – not only on Sundays, but seven days a week, which allows for that type of scrutiny and review.

“It’s just part of our business today. I think we all understand that. We’re all ready to have that debate every year. I don’t think we’re ever moving away from that debate – the utilization of technology and information in different components of the game whether it’s play, strategy, officiating or otherwise.”

We’ll see how this rule plays out moving forward but based on the few times we’ve see a few plays challenged, the verdicts certainly didn’t match what most non-biased fans expected. Even the television analysts who broadcast the Chiefs games thought that the Steelers were the victim of a poor review.

“When we looked at it from our replays, we didn’t think it was offensive pass interference,” Ari Wolfe of KCTV said Saturday night after the verdict of the play review was announced.

Wolfes broadcast partner, former NFL quarterback Trent Green, agreed that he thought there was no pass interference by Johnson during the play in question.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/to...hat-to-myself/

Legend

User Info Menu

And the Red flag is out again. Holding my breath

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Whooo Hoooo he finally won one whew I can breathe again

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    Whooo Hoooo he finally won one whew I can breathe again
    5 minutes of holding your breath is s long time haha.

Legend

User Info Menu

The streak is broken! Thank you for clearly dragging that second foot, Ken Griffey III.

Did anyone else expect him to start a new streak of futility by challenging the clearly visible forced fumble without the clear evidence of recovery later on in the game?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

i'm pretty confident that HE throws the flag when he NEEDS a break... "man, we need this one right here" *flag comes out*
    the team needs someone in front of the tv monitors telling him whether to challenge or not. and if they have someone, they need to be fired.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!