Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Tomlin Fails First Test In Challenging Plays In 2019 With Teryl Austin

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Mike Tomlin Fails First Test In Challenging Plays In 2019 With Teryl Austin

Mike Tomlin Fails First Test In Challenging Plays In 2019 With Teryl Austin

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on August 10, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers and Head Coach Mike Tomlin have not successfully challenged a play literally in years. The team is something like 0 for 14 on their current run of failed challenged dating back to the 2016 season.

It reached the point in which they sought outside help this offseason, something that was confirmed earlier on with a report that the team would be hiring somebody to assist with game-day situational scenarios, including challenges.

We later learned that that role would be part of Teryl Austin’s responsibilities. Austin was hired as a senior defensive assistant, a new post on the coaching staff that had been created for him, but his emphasis is in the defensive backfield.

Said Tomlin before the game of Austin, “he’s very adept at the rules and understanding the points of emphasis from a rules standpoint. He’ll provide assistance in some of those areas as well. A lot of that will be developed over the course of the next four weeks during these preseason games”.

As it turned out, the Steelers would challenge one play during the game early in the fourth quarter following a Devlin Hodges touchdown pass to Tevin Jones. On the ensuing kickoff, first-year linebacker Robert Spillane was able to get a fist on the football, dislodging it from the returner’s grasp.

While the initial ruling on the field that the runner was down by contact was incorrect, the reality is that the play never should have been challenged based on the video evidence. Not only was there no visual evidence of a clear recovery of the football by a Steelers player, there was, in fact, clear visual evidence that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers had recovered.

It was a good play by Spillane, though he lacked awareness of the potential for a loose ball. He also made a couple of plays in coverage while on defense. But it could even be debated that there was ‘clear and obvious’ visual evidence that the ball was loose before the runner hit the ground, even though I would say there was.

It was not a good challenge. And Tomlin has had too many such challenges. You don’t have to win every play to challenge, but you can’t waste them, either. Said Tomlin prior to the game, “I want to approach it with the level of seriousness that I’m going to approach it in the regular season”.

After the game, he said, “sometimes it might be to familiarize myself” with a rule or the process. It’s unclear as to what he might have been familiarizing himself with at this time, other than, perhaps, to remember what it feels like to waste a timeout.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/mi...-teryl-austin/

Legend

User Info Menu

Yea. That was a very weak case for a challenge.

Tomlin and his gut strike again..

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Yea. That was a very weak case for a challenge.

Tomlin and his gut strike again..
    Tomlin got gut struck again

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Starter

User Info Menu

That was not a good challenge, but in the streak of 0 - 14 that were not overturned, I am sure there were some that were good challenges but just were not overturned even though it seemed as though they could have been. I can't think of every challenge, but one comes to mind where it seemed clearly that a ball a deflected off an opponents helmet and the ball should have been turned over to the Steelers. Tomlin challenged the play which he should have, but the officials upheld the initial call because they apparently deemed the deflection was not obvious enough.

I really think that for most of the challenges, there was a good reason for it but the referees are reluctant to overturn calls.

Legend

User Info Menu

I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    hahahahahahahhahahahahahaha.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

And the Red flag is out again. Holding my breath

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Awful challenge. I can’t imagine what he or his advisor saw that lead to challenging that play. We never recovered the ball.

Fail.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

he really sucks at this part of his job

anyone that says otherwise is blowing smoke

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    he really sucks at this part of his job

anyone that says otherwise is blowing smoke
    Watch it Eddie; the TBW will get after you. Hahahahahahahahahaah
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN