Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D Hodges

Legend

User Info Menu

D Hodges

Gotta say I am impressed with Hodges. Guy is smooth in the pocket, throws with great touch and accuracy. Yeah, it was against 3rd and 4th stringers. But what was really noticeable is that his eyes were always down field looking for an open guy.

This guy may end up sneaking onto the roster this year....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Agreed. He looks comfortable and has a nice line on his ball.
    However, even though you saw Landry Jones'esque lame throws by Dobbs I believe his brains and legs keep him on the roster.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

He was impressive and you could envision him being even better next year.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

i see an injury coming up for him after the 2nd or 3rd pre season game stashing him on IR for the year

Legend

User Info Menu

Dobbs should be done now imho.

Mason's got a lock on the backup job after last night.

I have high long term hope for Hodges and think he could be in the mix to start post Ben. He's got a few things to work on, but I can't remember a backup Steeler QB showing so much potential in his first PT. I'm excited to see how he progresses.

Legend

User Info Menu

Personally, I thought Hodges was careless with the football on at least 3 occasions and for someone who is touted as making good decisions that isn't a good sign. Overall, I thought he did well but wasn't crazy about the pass that should have been intentional grounding but he was fortunate an eligible receiver was in the area, the random toss to the sideline after turning his back on the field (should have been intercepted) and the play immediately following that one (or shortly after) that was just a duck and chuck.

Rudolph looked really good in my opinion, stood tall in the pocket, looked comfortable and had some real nice ball placement, not to mention 2 TDs.

After one game, my pecking order would be:
    Roethlisberger
    Rudolph
    Dobbs
    Hodges

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
    3.66 - Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    3.83 - Justin Layne, CB, MSU
    4.122 - Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
    5.141 - Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan
    6.175 - Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois
    6.192 - Isaiah Buggs, DE, Alabama
    6.207 - Ulysees Gilbert III, OLB, Akron
    7.219 - Derwin Gray, OL, Maryland

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm excited for no turnovers from the QBs. This was a big issue last year IIRC, so hope it's much better this year.

Limited reps but it looks like all 3 played pretty well.

Looking forward to seeing them play more next game.

Starter

User Info Menu

Dobbs doesn't have a strong enough arm, imo...Those out routes..The ball hangs in the air

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree about Hodges showing a lot of promise. His poise for a 1st time rookie was impressive. His performance was light years further along than what Dobbs and Rudolph showed their first time out. No way he makes the roster but IR or even practice squad is a possibility. Who knows ... we might have found a diamond that just needs a little polish.

Legend

User Info Menu

Lets see what happens the rest of the pre-season. It's way too early to tell.... but, If Hodges continues to ball out, it might be time to consider trading Dobbs.