Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With LeVeon and AB gone, will ‘D’ again be Steelers identity?

Legend

User Info Menu

With LeVeon and AB gone, will ‘D’ again be Steelers identity?

With LeVeon Bell, Antonio Brown gone, will ‘D’ again be Steelers identity?

CHRIS ADAMSKI | Thursday, August 8, 2019

For each of the past five seasons, the Steelers have had a better ranking in total offense than in total defense. How rare is that for a franchise far more identified for its defense? The Steelers’ ‘D’ ranked higher than its offense 58 of the previous 74 seasons, according to pro-football-reference.com.

But is the defense ready to reclaim its role? The gap seems to be beginning to close.

The Steelers ranked sixth in yards allowed last season (the offense, fourth), and by far the biggest additions to the roster were on defense: free-agent signings Mark Barron and Steven Nelson and No. 10 overall draft pick Devin Bush.

The offense lost two All-Pro talents in Antonio Brown and Le’Veon Bell.

Can the defense make a leap to one of the league’s best?

“Yeah,” outside linebacker Bud Dupree said, “because of the additions … We’ve kind of all meshed together.”

Barron and Bush add speed and playmaking to the middle of the defense. Nelson teams with Joe Haden to give the Steelers two veteran established and reliable cornerbacks for the first time in years. There are Pro Bowlers at outside linebacker and on the defensive line.

The Steelers have finished among the top six in yardage allowed the past two seasons, but they ranked 16th in points allowed last season.

“I think we’ve got a top defense,” defensive end Stephon Tuitt said. “I just think we have to do a couple more things to tweak some things, and we can be better to help us get there.”

https://triblive.com/sports/the-bell...ises-identity/

Legend

User Info Menu

Colin Dunlap
    Verified account
    @colin_dunlap

I mean, not only did some damn Yinzer (and wife) wear a Steelers jersey to a Pirates game in Anaheim, but he felt the need to bring this sign.
    I love Pittsburghers.

Last edited by hawaiiansteel; 08-14-2019 at 09:26 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

This is great questioned posed by this article. I surly hope our defense reclaims this teams identity.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Funny to me how many articles refer to losing Bell as such a big impact this season -- as if he actually played this past season.

in any event, from the perspective of "identity" being what people think of when you think of a team, the steelers identity will be offense as long as the original killer B(en) is still there... even if the defense ranks higher, folks will talk about Ben...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Legend

User Info Menu

Can Defense really be the identity of any team nowadays? The rules are so tilted to the offense that a so-called dominant defense tends to be a one year blip based on luck with turnovers. A couple of years ago it was Jacksonville then they fell off last year. Last year it was the Bears and they will probably fall off this year.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Can Defense really be the identity of any team nowadays? The rules are so tilted to the offense that a so-called dominant defense tends to be a one year blip based on luck with turnovers. A couple of years ago it was Jacksonville then they fell off last year. Last year it was the Bears and they will probably fall off this year.
    Not sure how much the Jags lost last year or did they read too many press clippings.

Ramsey talked so much trash I think teams targeted him instead of avoiding him and he looked like trash.

Had a talk with my FIL and we were amazed at how many CB’s you cant name compared to prior years. Maybe it’s age or maybe they handicapped the position with all these ticky tack calls.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Good point..let's hope our team's defense can be as outstanding this coming year as the Bear's was last year and as the Jags was in 2017. If so, then we've got a real shot for the first time since 2010.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Legend

User Info Menu

Does anyone hate that units are ranked based on yardage?

We had the #4 O and #6 D last year and didn't make the playoffs. Neither unit was good. Especially the D.

How about noting we were #28 in getting INTs (4th worst). Add in being 16th in scoring.

How about considering, we generated 23 Turnovers. KC generated 25 FFs and Chicago generated 27 INTs.

We are so mediocre on defense it's not even funny.

This article is actually asking is the O going to tank without AB. I wish people would stop mentioning Bell completely cause he wasn't even here last year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Our defense , through the preseason, is “ to the ball” faster then I’ve ever seen it. If our secondary can react to the ball while in the air, then we can have a special defensive unit this year. Not to mention we’ve all commented positively on the pass rush.
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 08-29-2019 at 10:29 AM.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN