Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PIT-CLE Identical SB Odds!$#!

Legend

User Info Menu

Antonio Callaway suspended four games

Posted by Josh Alper on August 9, 2019, 2:30 PM EDT

Browns wide receiver Antonio Callaway has been working with reserve units during training camp and he won’t be playing at all during the first four weeks of the regular season.

Callaway has been suspended for the first four games of the 2019 season because of a substance abuse policy violation. Callaway can practice and play with the team in the preseason before going on the suspended list.

“I take full responsibility for my actions,” Callaway said in a statement. “I made a mistake and I own that. I have taken steps to make myself better and I appreciate the Browns standing by me and supporting me during this time. I know there’s nothing I can say to regain trust; it will all be about my actions.”

Callaway was cited for marijuana possession charges last summer, but had those charges dismissed earlier this year. Callaway was also cited for marijuana possession while at the University of Florida, where he had several other off-field incidents that led to him being suspended for the entire 2017 season.

Callaway caught 43 passes for 586 yards and five touchdowns during his rookie season. He had three catches for 42 yards against Washington on Thursday night.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/09/antonio-callaway-suspended-four-games/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Graziano: Fantasy tips and nuggets from Colts, Bengals, Browns and Steelers camps

6:55 AM ET

Dan Graziano
    ESPN Staff Writer

Back at home after this year's training camp trip, and I thought I'd pass along some notes from my final few stops. Last week, I filled you in on what I learned at Vikings, Packers and Bears camps. After that, I hit four more stops in Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania before wrapping up the trip.

Saw some practices, did some interviews, tried to get a sense of what's going on with the Colts, Bengals, Browns and Steelers as training camp rolls along. So here's some of what I picked up along the way:

Stop 7: Pittsburgh Steelers Camp

Aug. 7 in Latrobe, Pennsylvania

This is the only camp I've been to in which players have been allowed to hit and tackle each other to the ground this much. Coach Mike Tomlin believes in practicing the way you play, and in the past he has used a boxing analogy -- "You wouldn't get in the ring if you hadn't done some sparring" -- to explain his reasoning. It's jarring to see it. Kind of like walking into a restaurant where they allow smoking these days; you're a little bit shocked that there are still places where this goes on.

But it's the Steelers way, and the players buy in. And while everybody is locked in on the Browns in Ohio, they're out here in Latrobe doing what they always do.

"It's calm," guard Ramon Foster told me. "Guys are settling in. It's exactly what you want camp to be. It's dirty, grimy and hard, but what other situation would you rather be in?"

Foster is a good guy to talk to on these trips because he helps with the big picture. Ask him who looks good, and he has a list. He rattles off wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster ("just as sharp"); running back James Conner ("He's comfortable, more sure of what the hell he's got going on"); rookie linebacker Devin Bush ("I'm highly impressed"); and rookie wideout Diontae Johnson ("very savvy").

Foster is especially fired up about linebacker T.J. Watt.

"He's still looking like a god and doing the same exact things you expect him to," Foster said of Watt. "The biggest thing he's doing right now is chasing his brother. So as long as he's chasing him, I think we're in a good situation. He was telling me a story about how he ran up on his brother's notebooks -- how he had stacks and bundles of notebooks and how he just sat there and read through them and was like, 'Whoa, I've got to step my game up.' He realized what it actually takes to do the things that he wants to do from one of the greatest to ever do it."

On defense, the big add is Bush, the first-round pick out of Michigan whom the Steelers hope can stabilize the middle of their defense. They're expecting a lot out of Bush in Year 1, as his position carries much responsibility. But Bush told me the offensive linemen are helping him with tips and that playing for Jim Harbaugh while with the Wolverines was a huge help in getting him ready for a big rookie role in the pros.

"It was like a pro schedule," Bush said. "Obviously having Coach Harbaugh as our coach, everything was kind of pro-style, you know, from our special-teams concepts to our defenses to our offenses. So seeing two-back sets and seeing three tight ends in the game is not unusual to me."

And finally, I had to ask Foster about the Browns hype. Not surprisingly, he had thoughts.

"There's always a team here and there every year, escaping injury, escaping a losing skid," Foster said. "The bigger the bull's-eye, the harder it's going to be for you as a team if you're not right-minded. That's the only thing I have to say about that. When you think you have a team you're supposed to beat convincingly and they come out and play you hard as ever, it's because they think you're a team that's really good and you can change their season around. So that's my only hint of advice for a team that's getting that type of press. We've seen other teams. We've been that team. We know there's no off days. You have guys asking questions, 'How did you lose to this team?' Well, it's because you have the bull's-eye. So I have no problems with it. I'm glad it's off of us. It should be exciting. The AFC North is going to be a hard division this year."

More fantasy notes

▪ Smith-Schuster is the No. 1 wide receiver, but as second-year wideout James Washington told me, the Steelers expect teams to key on Smith-Schuster with Antonio Brown now off in Oakland fighting the league on helmet safety. The question is who picks up all those passing-game targets that went to Brown, and while some will surely go to Smith-Schuster, there is opportunity here for Washington, Johnson and even guys such as Donte Moncrief and Ryan Switzer. The sense I got was that Moncrief was the front-runner for the nominal No. 2 wide receiver spot, but again, it depends on who you talked to. Conner said Washington was greatly improved from last season. Foster brought up Johnson unsolicited. There's some stuff to sort out here yet.

Click here for Colts, Bengals, and Browns info:
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...steelers-camps
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

JUJU going to be better then Brown? What are you smoking?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    JUJU going to be better then Brown? What are you smoking?
    IMO, it's possible to be better and not have the numbers AB had. Take Hines Ward for example. You could count on him for the tough catches. Move the chains. You could count on him to deliver crushing blocks in the run game. He was much more of a team guy than AB.

I think that's what we have in Juju. He may never put up the number AB did. But he just might be a better football player who wants to win more than he wants personal stats. A guy that makes the people around him better. A guy that will deliver a crushing block when it's needed. A guy that contributes more than just personal stats.

Legend

User Info Menu

In other words, if you own a fantasy football team where stats are what matters most, you would likely prefer AB to Juju.

However, if you own an actual NFL franchise where team success is more important than individual accolades, you would likely prefer Juju to AB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    IMO, it's possible to be better and not have the numbers AB had. Take Hines Ward for example. You could count on him for the tough catches. Move the chains. You could count on him to deliver crushing blocks in the run game. He was much more of a team guy than AB.

I think that's what we have in Juju. He may never put up the number AB did. But he just might be a better football player who wants to win more than he wants personal stats. A guy that makes the people around him better. A guy that will deliver a crushing block when it's needed. A guy that contributes more than just personal stats.
    If Juju can just be effective in the AFC championship game and get us the Super Bowl, he'll have achieved more then Brown ever did. Numbers are only great if they lead you to where you want to ultimatly go.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN