Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bayless: Roethlisberger Wins NFL MVP in '19

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben Roethlisberger sees “some value” to playing in preseason

Posted by Josh Alper on August 22, 2019, 1:47 PM EDT

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger didn’t say for sure that he’ll be in the lineup against the Titans on Sunday night, but he’s “pretty sure” that he’s going to see his first game action of the preseason.

There’s been a lot of debate about the value of playing starters like Roethlisberger in preseason games this summer and Roethlisberger weighed in on that question while speaking to reporters. He acknowledged there’s “a line to walk” when it comes to risking injury, but said he thinks there are benefits to seeing game situations in the summer.

“There is, I think, some value because every game counts in the NFL,” Roethlisberger said. “In all the other major sports, you can get away with losing some games and you can kinda warm up to it because the season’s so long. In our season, you can’t really afford to do that so to get out there and get the game speed stuff is beneficial.”

Roethlisberger said he’d like to take one hit to get it out of the way, although he said he’d like to run plays that gets the ball out quickly during what will almost certainly be his only playing time of the preseason.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/22/ben-roethlisberger-sees-some-value-to-playing-in-preseason/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Since he is frequently mentioned as the gold standard for QBs in the NFL, here is T Brady in the preseason:

Tom Brady hasn't played in any of the two preseason games thus far, but that will likely change Thursday night against the Panthers.

Listen to your team news NOW.

The third preseason game is typically when the starters see their most extensive action of the preseason to gear up for Week 1.

Here's a look at Brady's numbers in the third preseason game the last five years. They suggest a good amount of the quarterback is expected.

2018 vs. Panthers: 12-for-18, 102 yards
    2017 vs. Lions: 12-for-15, 174 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT
    2016 vs. Panthers: 3-for-9, 76 yards, 1 TD
    2015 vs. Panthers: 7-for-13, 84 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs
    2014 vs. Panthers: 12-for-21, 204 yards, 2 TDs

As a starter, only once did Brady not play at all in the third preseason game and that was 2008.

Based on history and what we've seen so far this summer, expect Brady and the Patriots first-team offense to play into the second quarter and maybe even the entire first half.

https://weei.radio.com/blogs/ryan-ha...olina-panthers

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I mostly think Bayless is just a loud-mouthed idiot - but allowing for the fact I may be exhibiting some 'homerism', I thought his analysis of the team and Ben was surprisingly cogent. The browns have a lot of talent - but they also have a lot of big egos. The steelers have shed most of the egos and still have good talent. we will see!
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Bayless is such an idio.......wait.......he is prediction GOOD THINGS about the Steelers?????

That Skip Bayless. Dude is always ON POINT and knows the game like few others in the media.
    A prediction by him is like history told in advanced.
    History in advance..Iím gonna use that cap.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin confirms Ben Roethlisberger will play with the rest of the starters Sunday at Tennessee. Josh Dobbs and Mason Rudolph also are expected to play. Don't expect Roethlisberger to go deep into the second quarter.

28m
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    This is a classic talking head prediction move. Predict something that has chance but is fairly unlikely.

Then, if you're correct you brag about it for a long time. If you're wrong, no one remembers.

I think there's little chance Ben wins MVP. I think he'd have to be head and shoulders above everyone for the league to risk the blow back of honoring Ben given his history off the field.
    So true. Ben has been the actual Steeler MVP for years now and HIS OWN TEAMMATES wont give him that love and respect (BTW he WILL be voted team MVP this year as the team is focused on solidarity).

My point is that there is NO WAY the NFL will vote him MVP unless he DESTROYS his competition statistically with BY FAR his best season ever, which ain’t likely.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    So true. Ben has been the actual Steeler MVP for years now and HIS OWN TEAMMATES wont give him that love and respect (BTW he WILL be voted team MVP this year as the team is focused on solidarity).

My point is that there is NO WAY the NFL will vote him MVP unless he DESTROYS his competition statistically with BY FAR his best season ever, which ainít likely.
    I might disagree with this. If the team enjoys success and Roethlisberger puts up anything close to what he did last year (minus some of those picks), I think he gets strong consideration, due to the loss of Brown and Bell (even though he didn't play last year). There is a widely-held perception that the Steeler offense will be something less without those dudes and I don't think Ben has to blow everybody away to impress all of those who doubt. It's not like anyone connected to the league office has a vote. It's a panel of 50 sportswriters. Those same talking heads that will be impressed when Ben does it without those chuckleheads.
    Last edited by Flasteel; 08-31-2019 at 05:42 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    I might disagree with this. If the team enjoys success and Roethlisberger puts up anything close to what he did last year (minus some of those picks), I think he gets strong consideration, due to the loss of Brown and Bell (even though he didn't play last year). There is a widely-held perception that the Steeler offense will be something less without those dudes and I don't think Ben has to blow everybody away to impress all of those who doubt. It's not like anyone connected to the league office has a vote. It's a panel of 50 sportswriters. Those same talking heads that will be impressed when Ben does it without those chuckleheads.
    I get your point. I think having the “knuckleheads” gone and doing it without them is a strong factor worth considering. But he is not “liked” by the media. He is not “liked” by any large group save for us Steeler fans. If the performance is close, and a case can be made for someone else, he loses.

Legend

User Info Menu

Unfortunately I think your right cap.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN