Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Training camp 8/2/19

  1. #1
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Training camp 8/2/19

    FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS-

    Out tonight 7 21 42 4 9 53 57 73 78 and 90

    Quick observations as they go through their warm up reps-

    49 still rounds out his routes more then I would like, but hands are getting better.
    87 continues to still have drops
    81 routes are looking sharper, long strider but cuts and breakdowns are not bad.
    85 quick cuts, hands are fine. Why isn't he able to take his practice game to game day? IDK
    83 routes are sharp n shows nice hands catches. Ball does not get to his body.

    7 Shots 5 qb Scans field well 3rd read 30 in the flat for diving TD. Good play all around.
    5 QB draw opened up to easy against our nickel D... easy TD.
    5 pass play under blitz pressure from 98 ..refs blow whistle. Good block by 88.
    5 Pass PICKED by 55 as he returns it ball ripped out by 18 but D recovers.
    2 flair in flat to 40 in for TD
    2 pass to 10 on a fan for TD with 29 in cover.
    2 rolls right TD pass to Jones ( tossed in across his body good result but dangerous pass)

    WR/DB 1 on 1 -

    82 toasts 29 on a double move for long gainer.
    14 beats 20 on a post corner.
    15 beats 34 on a short out
    18 runs a 9 31 in tight cover pass inc
    13 runs a flag 22 in tight cover leaps tips it and lands on shoulder. Down about 30 seconds but is ok.
    82 on a 9 good cover by 25.
    14 runs post corner covered well by 39
    15 catches hook ifo 38
    83 beats 33 (Thomas) on a post
    14 runs a 9 again 25 in good cover leaps knocks it away but had an easy pick.
    10 beats 28 on a post but pass sails high..inc.
    13 runs an out but 29 in his pocket pass inc
    10 on a drag has route undercut by 34 ball batted down
    14 again on a 9 n again 25 tips it away.
    13 runs a post tight cover knocked away inc by 28
    10 on quick out 28 again with the tip away, inc
    14 on a seam beats 27 , nice grab.

    11 on 11 live-

    5 qb 38 on 6 hole run for about 5 yds, 92 kicked out by 45 in on the T but upfield. Backer has to take blocker on behind the los there not give ground.

    5 24 short gain on 8 hole run as 87 could not kick out 92 who anchored better here n made play stepping up n through blocker, closer to los.
    5 38 hits 4 hole finds 55 with the fill. No false steps on the play by the rook reading but showing patience.
    2 24 on a 4 hole run 94 n 93 anchor and T at the los.
    2 40 on a 1 hole dive play, we are in I , Spillane with the T
    6 I formation again 39 on a 8 hole run loss of 2 as 44 reads it quick and knifes through for T
    6 inc pass 82 on a 9 with 38 picking it up in zone cover pass overthrown.
    6 Edmunds on 7 hole run 54 flashes that speed n takes him down for no gain.
    6 trying a reverse on pitch back to 82 , 92 reads it well and T for loss.
    2 24 on a 6 hole run 28 on the T... Banner leveled 56 on the play. To me Chick still not 100%.
    2 bad snap by 62 , 2 recovers busted play. For this camp that has been rare.
    2 trap block by 87 but 39 blown up by Branch who reads it and explodes through the hole on shoulder to shoulder T. Crowd loved it.
    5 pass comp to 14 on a 9 with 29 in cover.
    5 hands t o35 on 2 hole run stuffed by Gilbert and others on the T

    Punt coverage notes; Grimble excellent at disengaging n getting down field and breaking down as special teamer he is quick n athletic and perhaps this year will give us a better performance then we have seen prior.
    Gilbert here also has looked good in coverage although not live but if he is to stick he has to show that ability in game situations starting a week from tonight.

    11 on 11- 2 comp to 17 on quick out ifo 55
    2 comp to 85 ifo 38
    2 comp to 13 on quick out ifo 25. Ball out fast , under 2 but nice to see timing is there. 2nd year player looking better.
    2 hits 13 on short drag turns it up n takes it to the house TD.
    6 inc pass to 82 on deep in cut ball hits his pads which is poor tech. Coaches speak to him about the drop.
    6 steps up nice avoids pressure comp to 15 on a hook. Griffey making a play or two last few days.
    6 under heavy pressure has pass tipped by Jones at los inc
    6 comp to 49 on a seam 24 in coverage on the stop. CSW making a play two days in a row.
    5 inc to 15 on a seam 15 not on same page wasn't looking for the ball.
    5 pass comp to 85 on a quick out. Grimble with good hands grab.
    5 comp to Edmunds on a hook. Time to pass provided by Hawkins who flattened 72 on the play.
    6 pass PICKED by 41 off hands of 13 , 13 has been excellent to this point. Not Qb's fault on that.
    6 14 runs an out pass tipped away by 37. Almost had the pick.
    5 13 runs a post n ball is zipped in there against out cover 2 ...nice TD.
    5 checks down to 30 in the flat who takes it 20yds for TD
    5 pass comp to 14 on a drag for 10 yds.
    6 scans field nothing open pulls it down n runs for decent gain. Rook has some game.
    6 pass inc to 83 on a drag, ball off target behind the receiver.
    6 pass to 24 in the flat makes 1st man miss but Dangerfield levels him. ( not live session) It happens.
    6 comp pass to 83 on the drag who sits down ifo 44 in zone.
    6 inc Spillane with good cover tips pass away.
    2 checks down to 39 who shows a burst for big gain.
    2 PICKED by 33 on a one handed grab against a deep out. Nice sideline play.
    2 pass inc to 10 on a hook 54 jumps it and ball knocked loose. ( Gilbert with closing speed n quick read)

    Special team punt return practice. Returners are good tonight again no ball hit the ground. Lets hope that plays out when its live n they know they could get lit up.

    DL- OL 1 on 1-
    76 handles 56
    76 again handles 56, rides him to the dirt.
    67 keeps out 79
    74 keeps out 91
    74 keeps out 91 who tried spin move but rookie was on it.
    71 keeps out 56 , poor night for 56.
    71 again with heavy hands rides out 56
    60 holds out 64 d
    74 pancakes 56
    74 beats 79 who eventually gets off block but not for about 4 seconds.
    74 keeps out 79 again with good hand use n knee bend for a tall man is impressive.
    74 anchors n keeps out Big Dan who tries to bull rush but stuffed.

    That was an impressive sequence by the rookie. Tomlin took notice.

    65 rides out 72
    65 handles 91
    65 holds out 64
    72 handles 56
    72 handles 92
    74O handles 74D with good heavy hands punch
    68O handles 64d
    77 rides out 65 wide

    11 on 11- 5 under pressure by 74 inc pass intended for 17
    5 comp to 14 ifo 22 on a hook
    5 hands to 38 on 7 hole run 28 on the stop
    5 24 runs a counter power play with 49 n 74 pulling for nice gainer.
    5 pass inc to 17 with 24 in cover.
    5 comp on out to 10 for nice gain. Good hands grab.
    5 pass inc to Webb in the flat ball just poorly thrown
    5 comp to 10 for nice gain.
    6 pass to Webb off target inc
    6 pass inc tipped by Gilmore
    6 pass comp to 88 with 38 in tight cover. Banner with good pass pro.

    Solid night of practice with some rain showers tossed in. Back to back solid practices with not to many sloppy reps even with the rain.

    OLine strong again tonight with the rookie Johnson just having good rep after good rep.
    Bush 2 days straight now making plays full speed. He's calling the D n looking better.
    Wr group is deep. We'll keep 6 and a few other guys who will play on Sundays will likely be cut by us.

    Snell another good practice along with Williams for the running backs.


    One week to our first pre-season game. Still a bunch of questions but we have some idea now of where we are at.

    If you have questions put them out there for me I'll do my best to answer them.

  2. #2
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Excellent as always Iron, thanks again. This is an amazing read for those of us who say every year that this is the year but don't end up coming....oh well, next year.

    Just a couple of things that I think that am noticing from your info, combined with a few other things I've read. Please let me know if I am on the right path with some of these thoughts:

    Fred Johnson having an excellent camp
    Steve Nelson looking good
    Bush and Layne both off to slow starts but looking more comfortable the last few days
    Spencer looking very good (up until this write up)
    Boz hasn't missed a kick, and Wright also looks very solid
    Berryman looking strong
    Hodges looking very good (until this write up)
    Dobbs looking the shakiest of the 4 QBs
    Sutton having a good camp
    Brian Allen not having a good camp
    Snell looking good
    Burns has given up a few plays but sounds like he is making a lot of good plays and tight coverage
    Spillane name coming up more than you'd expect in a good way
    Ola showing he can re-appear as a camp hero a second year
    Good comp among the young OL prospects

    Overall sounds like everyone is pretty impressed. If you had to name a couple of guys who could make the 53 who you never would have thought, who would you say?

  3. #3
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Excellent as always Iron, thanks again. This is an amazing read for those of us who say every year that this is the year but don't end up coming....oh well, next year.

    Just a couple of things that I think that am noticing from your info, combined with a few other things I've read. Please let me know if I am on the right path with some of these thoughts:

    Fred Johnson having an excellent camp
    Steve Nelson looking good
    Bush and Layne both off to slow starts but looking more comfortable the last few days
    Spencer looking very good (up until this write up)
    Boz hasn't missed a kick, and Wright also looks very solid
    Berryman looking strong
    Hodges looking very good (until this write up)
    Dobbs looking the shakiest of the 4 QBs
    Sutton having a good camp
    Brian Allen not having a good camp
    Snell looking good
    Burns has given up a few plays but sounds like he is making a lot of good plays and tight coverage
    Spillane name coming up more than you'd expect in a good way
    Ola showing he can re-appear as a camp hero a second year
    Good comp among the young OL prospects

    Overall sounds like everyone is pretty impressed. If you had to name a couple of guys who could make the 53 who you never would have thought, who would you say?
    Boz n Wright I wouldn't put much into anything at camp either way. Perfect weather 80 degrees football compresses easy crowd behind you. It's not Baltimore in 10 degrees with a hostile crowd. Boz has the stronger leg. We'll have to see more in pre-season games at least.
    Dobbs having some accuracy issues. Hodges is clearly the 4 even with his great resume.
    Spencer ,Rogers and Switzer in what likely is a 3 for 2 battle. We're only keeping 6. Right now it's to close to call and we have all the pre-season games to sort it out.
    B Allen probably outside looking in if I had to set the 53 today but it's early yet. Lets wait on that a bit.
    Burn Unit making some plays n he tends to do that at camp. Lights get bright n he doesn't excel or at least that has been what we've all seen. Right now he sticks IMHO but he'll have to keep making plays in the pre-season games.
    Spillane a bit undersized but has been around the ball. More run n cover then cement mixer but in todays NFL it's going that way. He's in a numbers battle that has him outside looking in as of today but PS possible. He has been a nice surprise.

    Ola the good ,the bad n the ugly. First the good...turning the arc n sealing the edge is his strength, The BAD... dropping into zone. The UGLY... in man coverage. He has some skills but as of today he's not the whole package. Pats would game plan isolation with him n dink n dunk us to death. He needs to get better in space.
    It's early on who could make the 53 as a surprise. They have to perform on game day. Yeah Johnson is a possible answer to the question. I watched tape on him, started that thread on him but lets wait to game day and he's got to be position flexible.
    We'll revisit this question in about another week or two.

  4. #4
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Wow. I was there and I have no idea how you managed to see all that. Some of the drills were happening simultaneously. Very glad the lightening and rain held off for the most part. We drove from Indiana but met people that came from Texas and Wyoming to be there as well. Definitely glad we finally made the trip.

  5. #5
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post

    Ola the good ,the bad n the ugly. First the good...turning the arc n sealing the edge is his strength, The BAD... dropping into zone. The UGLY... in man coverage. He has some skills but as of today he's not the whole package. Pats would game plan isolation with him n dink n dunk us to death. He needs to get better in space.
    Is it just me or prior to the nsupposed greatness of Bud in coverage, have we EVER had a LOLBer who had "coverage" as a strong suit? Most seemed pretty stiff.

  6. #6
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS-

    Out tonight 7 21 42 4 9 53 57 73 78 and 90

    Quick observations as they go through their warm up reps-

    49 still rounds out his routes more then I would like, but hands are getting better.
    87 continues to still have drops
    81 routes are looking sharper, long strider but cuts and breakdowns are not bad.
    85 quick cuts, hands are fine. Why isn't he able to take his practice game to game day? IDK
    83 routes are sharp n shows nice hands catches. Ball does not get to his body.

    7 Shots 5 qb Scans field well 3rd read 30 in the flat for diving TD. Good play all around.
    5 QB draw opened up to easy against our nickel D... easy TD.
    5 pass play under blitz pressure from 98 ..refs blow whistle. Good block by 88.
    5 Pass PICKED by 55 as he returns it ball ripped out by 18 but D recovers.
    2 flair in flat to 40 in for TD
    2 pass to 10 on a fan for TD with 29 in cover.
    2 rolls right TD pass to Jones ( tossed in across his body good result but dangerous pass)

    WR/DB 1 on 1 -

    82 toasts 29 on a double move for long gainer.
    14 beats 20 on a post corner.
    15 beats 34 on a short out
    18 runs a 9 31 in tight cover pass inc
    13 runs a flag 22 in tight cover leaps tips it and lands on shoulder. Down about 30 seconds but is ok.
    82 on a 9 good cover by 25.
    14 runs post corner covered well by 39
    15 catches hook ifo 38
    83 beats 33 (Thomas) on a post
    14 runs a 9 again 25 in good cover leaps knocks it away but had an easy pick.
    10 beats 28 on a post but pass sails high..inc.
    13 runs an out but 29 in his pocket pass inc
    10 on a drag has route undercut by 34 ball batted down
    14 again on a 9 n again 25 tips it away.
    13 runs a post tight cover knocked away inc by 28
    10 on quick out 28 again with the tip away, inc
    14 on a seam beats 27 , nice grab.

    11 on 11 live-

    5 qb 38 on 6 hole run for about 5 yds, 92 kicked out by 45 in on the T but upfield. Backer has to take blocker on behind the los there not give ground.

    5 24 short gain on 8 hole run as 87 could not kick out 92 who anchored better here n made play stepping up n through blocker, closer to los.
    5 38 hits 4 hole finds 55 with the fill. No false steps on the play by the rook reading but showing patience.
    2 24 on a 4 hole run 94 n 93 anchor and T at the los.
    2 40 on a 1 hole dive play, we are in I , Spillane with the T
    6 I formation again 39 on a 8 hole run loss of 2 as 44 reads it quick and knifes through for T
    6 inc pass 82 on a 9 with 38 picking it up in zone cover pass overthrown.
    6 Edmunds on 7 hole run 54 flashes that speed n takes him down for no gain.
    6 trying a reverse on pitch back to 82 , 92 reads it well and T for loss.
    2 24 on a 6 hole run 28 on the T... Banner leveled 56 on the play. To me Chick still not 100%.
    2 bad snap by 62 , 2 recovers … busted play. For this camp that has been rare.
    2 trap block by 87 but 39 blown up by Branch who reads it and explodes through the hole on shoulder to shoulder T. Crowd loved it.
    5 pass comp to 14 on a 9 with 29 in cover.
    5 hands t o35 on 2 hole run stuffed by Gilbert and others on the T

    Punt coverage notes; Grimble excellent at disengaging n getting down field and breaking down as special teamer he is quick n athletic and perhaps this year will give us a better performance then we have seen prior.
    Gilbert here also has looked good in coverage although not live but if he is to stick he has to show that ability in game situations starting a week from tonight.

    11 on 11- 2 comp to 17 on quick out ifo 55
    2 comp to 85 ifo 38
    2 comp to 13 on quick out ifo 25. Ball out fast , under 2 but nice to see timing is there. 2nd year player looking better.
    2 hits 13 on short drag turns it up n takes it to the house TD.
    6 inc pass to 82 on deep in cut ball hits his pads which is poor tech. Coaches speak to him about the drop.
    6 steps up nice avoids pressure comp to 15 on a hook. Griffey making a play or two last few days.
    6 under heavy pressure has pass tipped by Jones at los inc
    6 comp to 49 on a seam 24 in coverage on the stop. CSW making a play two days in a row.
    5 inc to 15 on a seam 15 not on same page wasn't looking for the ball.
    5 pass comp to 85 on a quick out. Grimble with good hands grab.
    5 comp to Edmunds on a hook. Time to pass provided by Hawkins who flattened 72 on the play.
    6 pass PICKED by 41 off hands of 13 , 13 has been excellent to this point. Not Qb's fault on that.
    6 14 runs an out pass tipped away by 37. Almost had the pick.
    5 13 runs a post n ball is zipped in there against out cover 2 ...nice TD.
    5 checks down to 30 in the flat who takes it 20yds for TD
    5 pass comp to 14 on a drag for 10 yds.
    6 scans field nothing open pulls it down n runs for decent gain. Rook has some game.
    6 pass inc to 83 on a drag, ball off target behind the receiver.
    6 pass to 24 in the flat makes 1st man miss but Dangerfield levels him. ( not live session) It happens.
    6 comp pass to 83 on the drag who sits down ifo 44 in zone.
    6 inc Spillane with good cover tips pass away.
    2 checks down to 39 who shows a burst for big gain.
    2 PICKED by 33 on a one handed grab against a deep out. Nice sideline play.
    2 pass inc to 10 on a hook 54 jumps it and ball knocked loose. ( Gilbert with closing speed n quick read)

    Special team punt return practice. Returners are good tonight again no ball hit the ground. Lets hope that plays out when its live n they know they could get lit up.

    DL- OL 1 on 1-
    76 handles 56
    76 again handles 56, rides him to the dirt.
    67 keeps out 79
    74 keeps out 91
    74 keeps out 91 who tried spin move but rookie was on it.
    71 keeps out 56 , poor night for 56.
    71 again with heavy hands rides out 56
    60 holds out 64 d
    74 pancakes 56
    74 beats 79 who eventually gets off block but not for about 4 seconds.
    74 keeps out 79 again with good hand use n knee bend for a tall man is impressive.
    74 anchors n keeps out Big Dan who tries to bull rush but stuffed.

    That was an impressive sequence by the rookie. Tomlin took notice.

    65 rides out 72
    65 handles 91
    65 holds out 64
    72 handles 56
    72 handles 92
    74O handles 74D with good heavy hands punch
    68O handles 64d
    77 rides out 65 wide

    11 on 11- 5 under pressure by 74 inc pass intended for 17
    5 comp to 14 ifo 22 on a hook
    5 hands to 38 on 7 hole run 28 on the stop
    5 24 runs a counter power play with 49 n 74 pulling for nice gainer.
    5 pass inc to 17 with 24 in cover.
    5 comp on out to 10 for nice gain. Good hands grab.
    5 pass inc to Webb in the flat ball just poorly thrown
    5 comp to 10 for nice gain.
    6 pass to Webb off target inc
    6 pass inc tipped by Gilmore
    6 pass comp to 88 with 38 in tight cover. Banner with good pass pro.

    Solid night of practice with some rain showers tossed in. Back to back solid practices with not to many sloppy reps even with the rain.

    OLine strong again tonight with the rookie Johnson just having good rep after good rep.
    Bush 2 days straight now making plays full speed. He's calling the D n looking better.
    Wr group is deep. We'll keep 6 and a few other guys who will play on Sundays will likely be cut by us.

    Snell another good practice along with Williams for the running backs.


    One week to our first pre-season game. Still a bunch of questions but we have some idea now of where we are at.

    If you have questions put them out there for me I'll do my best to answer them.
    Thanks Iron!

    I'd love to hear your thoughts on the non-Ben QBs.

    Reports I've heard are that:
    1. Rudolph has been steady but not spectacular.
    2. Dobbs was bad at the beginning of camp, but has been playing better (particularly under the lights on Friday)
    3. Hodges has been kind of the opposite of Dobbs. Strong throughout, but not impressive on Friday against better competition.

    I'd love to hear from one of our own who's been there watching.

    It also sounds like Bush v. Snell has been fun. Reports on Snell seem to be very positive. Do you think he can take the #2 spot this year? I'm looking forward to Benny Snell telling everyone about how Benny Snell was playing Benny Snell football in the pre-season.

    Sorry if you've answered this somewhere else and I missed it.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 08-03-2019 at 05:48 PM.

  7. #7
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Thanks Iron!

    I'd love to hear your thoughts on the non-Ben QBs.

    Reports I've heard are that:
    1. Rudolph has been steady but not spectacular.
    2. Dobbs was bad at the beginning of camp, but has been playing better (particularly under the lights on Friday)
    3. Hodges has been kind of the opposite of Dobbs. Strong throughout, but not impressive on Friday against better competition.

    I'd love to hear from one of our own who's been there watching.

    It also sounds like Bush v. Snell has been fun. Reports on Snell seem to be very positive. Do you think he can take the #2 spot this year? I'm looking forward to Benny Snell telling everyone about how Benny Snell was playing Benny Snell football in the pre-season.

    Sorry if you've answered this somewhere else and I missed it.
    So lets go over the qb's one at a time. Dobbs is getting through his progression well enough but he's better but not there yet. He hasn't forced much at all in camp so his decision making is better He has been off target, high more often then he should. Looked to me and a few others I spoke to about it that he's got his front shoulder too high causing some passes to sail. Easy fix from tech point. His passes have enough zip and he can roll out, n step up n he keeps his eyes down field. That is a good skill but not everyone can move around the rush n stay locked in downfield.
    He is a serviceable back up at this point.
    Rudolph- has been getting the ball out on time this camp. Reads through progressions quick. Footwork is good n he stays in balance through the transitions. Makes some decisions that I would say are risky, gun slinger passes. Rolling right tossing it across his body near traffic. He'll need to get better there. Accuracy is good not great but he's been putting passes in places where receivers can stay in step n that's how big yac plays gets done. Stands tall in pocket n downfield vision has been good even under pressure. I would agree with you he has not been spectacular. He's better but needs to get better still if he is going to be a starter one day. Getting a bunch of reps and looks so much sharper then in 18 in camp. Lets see how he does in the pre-season games.

    Hodges not getting a ton of reps but he isn't lost out there. Really quick release n good decisions n if it's not there he tucks n go's. Has been accurate at least on the short and intermediate routes. Has nice footwork in the pocket, stays on balance. For a 4th qb he has not been bad at all. Got a shot at the PS if he progresses. Not the tallest dude but so far we haven't seen a bunch of tipped passes. Tough for him because reps are limited. May get some late 4th quarter reps against Tampa. That will tell us a bunch about what he has or doesn't have.

    On Snell it's too early to say he is ahead of Samuel. However he has shown a nice skill set in limited reps. Good vision, low pad level, no dancing in the hole one cut type runner who turns it up n once square looks good. Has shown better then expected receiving skills. Hands are good. I have to see more pass pro , so far he needs much improvement there. He's going to be a decent part of the O. He's also working on special teams so he's going to get chances to contribute this year.
    Hope that sheds some light on this team.

  8. #8
    Legend

    User Info Menu


  9. #9
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    So lets go over the qb's one at a time. Dobbs is getting through his progression well enough but he's better but not there yet. He hasn't forced much at all in camp so his decision making is better He has been off target, high more often then he should. Looked to me and a few others I spoke to about it that he's got his front shoulder too high causing some passes to sail. Easy fix from tech point. His passes have enough zip and he can roll out, n step up n he keeps his eyes down field. That is a good skill but not everyone can move around the rush n stay locked in downfield.
    He is a serviceable back up at this point.
    Rudolph- has been getting the ball out on time this camp. Reads through progressions quick. Footwork is good n he stays in balance through the transitions. Makes some decisions that I would say are risky, gun slinger passes. Rolling right tossing it across his body near traffic. He'll need to get better there. Accuracy is good not great but he's been putting passes in places where receivers can stay in step n that's how big yac plays gets done. Stands tall in pocket n downfield vision has been good even under pressure. I would agree with you he has not been spectacular. He's better but needs to get better still if he is going to be a starter one day. Getting a bunch of reps and looks so much sharper then in 18 in camp. Lets see how he does in the pre-season games.

    Hodges not getting a ton of reps but he isn't lost out there. Really quick release n good decisions n if it's not there he tucks n go's. Has been accurate at least on the short and intermediate routes. Has nice footwork in the pocket, stays on balance. For a 4th qb he has not been bad at all. Got a shot at the PS if he progresses. Not the tallest dude but so far we haven't seen a bunch of tipped passes. Tough for him because reps are limited. May get some late 4th quarter reps against Tampa. That will tell us a bunch about what he has or doesn't have.

    On Snell it's too early to say he is ahead of Samuel. However he has shown a nice skill set in limited reps. Good vision, low pad level, no dancing in the hole one cut type runner who turns it up n once square looks good. Has shown better then expected receiving skills. Hands are good. I have to see more pass pro , so far he needs much improvement there. He's going to be a decent part of the O. He's also working on special teams so he's going to get chances to contribute this year.
    Hope that sheds some light on this team.
    Thanks for the super detailed answer.

    Really appreciate your thoughts here

  10. #10
    Benchwarmer

    User Info Menu

    A couple points on the corners:

    Brian Allen appears to be seriously struggling. I've seen two clips and several other mentions, that involve him getting roasted.

    Artie Burns having a decent camp, vs game performance. The offenses aren't typically running complex route/play structures, and that is where Artie really struggles. Meaning at zone reads. He can't flipping identify his responsibility quickly enough, or at all, and gets toasted.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •