Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: WR Michael Thomas gets 5 yr, $100M w/$61M guaranteed

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    So only QBa should make this much?

How does a fan base enable this? What can we do to stop it? The bulk of the money comes from TV contracts. You cant force a FO to not pay their best players.

Most we can do is call into radio shows or voice our opinion on the internet. $20 mill is still a drop in the bucket when a team is worth a Billion dollars.
    The money being a drop in the bucket compared to a team's worth is irrelevant. I couldn't care less what owners want to spend on whatever they want to spend it on. The issue is that there is a salary cap to mange. And these crazy contracts from certain teams screw up the system for the teams who want to spend wisely, in regard to the cap.

Here again, the cheaters do it right. Get rid of the players who are going to demand huge contracts, before they demand them. And I think we did it right with Bell.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I've always thought that teams should be able to get a 50% exemption on one salary for a designated period of time. Must be a player with at least 5 years with the team. The escalation of QB salaries is outpacing the growth of the cap. But I guess the league doesn't care because that imposes parity and we don't have an MLB situation.
    I like your idea, but doing that would only escalate that salary to possibly double what it is now with the aid of the exemption.

I've said it before, I think they should have a cap of no more than say 12 percent for any single players salary.
    Easy to pass for the union, as it mean mo money, mo money, mo money, for 95 percent of the players.

The rookie QB contract advantage goes away.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 08-01-2019 at 06:19 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    The money being a drop in the bucket compared to a team's worth is irrelevant. I couldn't care less what owners want to spend on whatever they want to spend it on. The issue is that there is a salary cap to mange. And these crazy contracts from certain teams screw up the system for the teams who want to spend wisely, in regard to the cap.

Here again, the cheaters do it right. Get rid of the players who are going to demand huge contracts, before they demand them. And I think we did it right with Bell.
    Cheaters take advantage of the entire leagues stupidity and it adds to their competitive advantage by not wasting cap on the wrong positions (along with the Brady discount).

We weren't so smart.
    Bell saved us from our own stupidity by being greedy.

Legend

User Info Menu

WTH does the HOF have to do with this convo?

Age + Large Cap hit: rarely wins SB’s these days.

I’ll give you Brees. I think they probably make the SB if not for a terrible non call.

But how many QB’s not named Brady (below market rate) are winning SB’s late in their career?

Peyton? He was dragged to a SB by that team. Who else?

Once you hit 35 it’s not likely you will win a SB when your QB eats up a ton of cap space.
    I don't disagree entirely. But at least you can make a case that elite QB play has consistently been a prime factor in championships......so you can make a case for their value.

ELITE RECEIVERS ARE NOT KEY COMPONANTS OF CHAMPIONSHIP TEAMS in todays NFL.

Name the top 15 receivers in the NFL Dizz. NOT ONE has won a ring.

Elite QBs with rings are SO PLENTIFUL I made a list and actually forgot Aaron Rogers.....the best QB EVER by some statistical measures.

Legend

User Info Menu

Everyone wants to win a SB every year. It’s not easy even though the Pats make it looks like a cake walk most years.

The NFL is built on parody.
    You know that's right:

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Do you really believe this? The organization ultimately wins for the organization! The organization ultimately makes money for the organization and owners? Rewarding fans is way down on the priority list. Fans are a dime a dozen and essentially entertainment junkies. What the fans think and like is probably less than 10%, if that, of what goes into the decisions the team makes.
    A competitive team is the best reward for a fan base.

If you go into the season thinking you have a shot at a SB your franchise is doing it right.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You won't be laughing when that is what we have to pay to keep JuJu in the next 18-24 months.

Julio Jones (FA in 2021) will probably get more per year than Thomas got, although maybe a shorter contract. Tyreek Hill is a total wildcard (2020) with his legal issues

I think the biggest thing to watch will be what the Cowboys give Amari Cooper (2020). He hasn't produced to the level of these other guys, so if he gets paid big - that is the contract that would really ruin the market.

Also coming up for new contracts soon: AJ Green (2020), TY Hilton (2021), Keenan Allen (2021)

JuJu would be a free agent in 2021. The market is over-inflated now, but it's only going to get worse still

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I like your idea, but doing that would only escalate that salary to possibly double what it is now with the aid of the exemption.

I've said it before, I think they should have a cap of no more than say 12 percent for any single players salary.
    Easy to pass for the union, as it mean mo money, mo money, mo money, for 95 percent of the players.

The rookie QB contract advantage goes away.
    a rookie QB advantage?

You still have to pick the right QB and have everything else in place to make a serious run at a SB.

I think the way it’s set up now is fine.

It was ridiculous to give a QB who went number 1 in the draft a deal worth $75 mill out of the gate.

I think players who prove their worth on their first contract should have a shot at a huge pay day on their 2nd contract.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Julio Jones (FA in 2021) will probably get more per year than Thomas got, although maybe a shorter contract. Tyreek Hill is a total wildcard (2020) with his legal issues

I think the biggest thing to watch will be what the Cowboys give Amari Cooper (2020). He hasn't produced to the level of these other guys, so if he gets paid big - that is the contract that would really ruin the market.

Also coming up for new contracts soon: AJ Green (2020), TY Hilton (2021), Keenan Allen (2021)

JuJu would be a free agent in 2021. The market is over-inflated now, but it's only going to get worse still
    I hope it does and that MOST teams aren't stupid and continue to overpay receivers. I want us to SEE what happens when you lose a great but arrogant receiver as we IMPROVE without Brown and LEARN from it.
    Then we will have that same edge NE has by not paying easily replaceable positions in a league that doesnt know any better.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I hope it does and that MOST teams aren't stupid and continue to overpay receivers. I want us to SEE what happens when you lose a great but arrogant receiver as we IMPROVE without Brown and LEARN from it.
    Then we will have that same edge NE has by not paying easily replaceable positions in a league that doesnt know any better.
    I think Colbert is on the path to learning just that. But just when that education is received, he may retire or leave and then we have to break in a new GM and then the education starts from zero for him.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN