Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: WR Michael Thomas gets 5 yr, $100M w/$61M guaranteed

Legend

User Info Menu

Roethlisberger can get the Steelers to the playoffs on his arm alone. Advancing in and making to the SB will, I think mostly depend on the defense. Have they gotten the right pieces together? ... million dollar question

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Interesting.....Brady just got a pay raise; now he's making 23 mil a year which is 6th highest in the league. Which is still barely under the dreaded 13% curse of QB's that make that amount or more. (No QB that makes 13% of a teams cap has won a Super Bowl since Steve Young in 1994..the initial salary cap year) Salary Cap this year is 188.2mil

It's amazing to me how on point the Patriots stay and know how to flirt with thresholds. They've got it down to a fine science. I'll give them that.
    ... and it just came out that Brady's a free agent after 2019 season... NE essentially made it a 3 yr deal to allow them to spread the money out over multiple yrs. He cannot be franchised tagged, cannot be traded.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Roethlisberger can get the Steelers to the playoffs on his arm alone. Advancing in and making to the SB will, I think mostly depend on the defense. Have they gotten the right pieces together? ... million dollar question
    No he can’t. He threw for over 5K last year and we missed the playoffs.

I think having Ben puts us in the convo for the playoffs ever year but a few missed FG’s, a fumble, an INT, a missed tackle.. any of those things can be the difference.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    No he can’t. He threw for over 5K last year and we missed the playoffs.

I think having Ben puts us in the convo for the playoffs ever year but a few missed FG’s, a fumble, an INT, a missed tackle.. any of those things can be the difference.
    ....'cept for a pathetic kicking performance the Steelers would be in the post season last year....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Interesting.....Brady just got a pay raise; now he's making 23 mil a year which is 6th highest in the league. Which is still barely under the dreaded 13% curse of QB's that make that amount or more. (No QB that makes 13% of a teams cap has won a Super Bowl since Steve Young in 1994..the initial salary cap year) Salary Cap this year is 188.2mil

It's amazing to me how on point the Patriots stay and know how to flirt with thresholds. They've got it down to a fine science. I'll give them that.
    I don't really think Brady taking less money has anything to do with the Pat's winning, it's not like the Pat's have had an abundance of talent. There are a lot of teams with more talent and lower paid QB's who don't win, it comes down to consistency. Brady is so damn good and he is that way every single week, plus the guy rarely makes a mistake. So while Tom Brady is the reason for the Pat's success it doesn't really have anything to do with his contract.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You won't be laughing when that is what we have to pay to keep JuJu in the next 18-24 months.
    This is the tell all season for JuJu in my book. Putting up massive numbers with AB getting most of the attention is one thing. Doing it being the man? IMO, he still has something to prove when it comes to being an elite 1A. Call me crazy but I'm a little nervous about JuJu being our number 1 without really any real threat as a 2. Moncrief? Washington? I don't know. Not completely buying into the hype yet.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    ....'cept for a pathetic kicking performance the Steelers would be in the post season last year....
    Which is why he can’t do it alone. Everyone else has to do their part.
    Last edited by Oh wow; 08-06-2019 at 08:11 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    This is the tell all season for JuJu in my book. Putting up massive numbers with AB getting most of the attention is one thing. Doing it being the man? IMO, he still has something to prove when it comes to being an elite 1A. Call me crazy but I'm a little nervous about JuJu being our number 1 without really any real threat as a 2. Moncrief? Washington? I don't know. Not completely buying into the hype yet.
    Exactly. I think JuJu is going to make plays but he is no longer benefitting from AB getting doubled and a defense game planning against AB all week.

It really comes down to the other guys making enough plays to keep the D honest and I’m not sure Washington, Switzer and Moncreif are ready to take that next step.

Call me crazy but I think Eli is the X factor since he and Ben have some history and chemistry. I think if he can stay healthy it will help our passing game a ton.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    I don't really think Brady taking less money has anything to do with the Pat's winning, it's not like the Pat's have had an abundance of talent. There are a lot of teams with more talent and lower paid QB's who don't win, it comes down to consistency. Brady is so damn good and he is that way every single week, plus the guy rarely makes a mistake. So while Tom Brady is the reason for the Pat's success it doesn't really have anything to do with his contract.

People will say it’s because they can afford to offer more money to DB’s but IMO they are so cheap they would have that money available regardless if Brady took more or not.

IMO it’s guys buying in 100% AND Brady is a freaking robot. The guy doesn’t take days off like other vets.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    But we have never drafted a franchise QB outside of a top 10 pick.
    Not true. The Steelers drafted a franchise QB in the ninth round in 1955. Unfortunately, the franchise was the Baltimore Colts, and the QB was a skinny kid out of Louisville by the name of Johnny Unitas.

But otherwise point taken.