Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben Roethlisberger, JuJu Smith-Schuster plan to answer bell

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ben Roethlisberger, JuJu Smith-Schuster plan to answer bell

https://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/30996/ben-roethlisberger-juju-smith-schuster-plan-to-answer-bell-for-steelers

Ben Roethlisberger, JuJu Smith-Schuster plan to answer bell

• Jeremy FowlerESPN Staff Writer

The Pittsburgh Steelers open training camp on July 26 at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, Pennsylvania. Here’s a closer look at a few storylines:

What more do the Steelers need from Ben Roethlisberger to flourish without Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell?

They need one of his best seasons of his 15-year career, for starters. The Steelers are relying on their 37-year-old veteran to offset the loss of serious weaponry. Roethlisberger has a way of elevating a supporting cast -- 11 different receivers have caught at least 100 passes in Pittsburgh's offense during the Big Ben era -- and he needs Vance McDonald, James Washington or someone else to become No. 12 soon enough. Expect Roethlisberger to rely on his no-huddle offense, mixing a quick-strike passing game with run checks at the line. He led the league with 5,129 passing yards in 2018, and don't be surprised if he contends for 5,000 once again.

Legend

User Info Menu

According to some NFL "analysts " we should be very surprised if Roethlisberger can match his 2018 passing stats.

Back to the old argument, does the QB make the WR, or the WR make the QB.
    We will get the answer from OAK this season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Carr isn’t Ben; Brown won’t be putting up near the same numbers he put up in Pittsburgh.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    According to some NFL "analysts " we should be very surprised if Roethlisberger can match his 2018 passing stats
    He shouldn't...not because of regression in his game due to age, though.

He shouldn't match his 2018 passing stats because we shouldn't be passing that much.

I hope Randy Fichtner learns from his first year as O.C. and opts for a more balanced attack this year.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post

He shouldn't match his 2018 passing stats because we shouldn't be passing that much.

I hope Randy Fichtner learns from his first year as O.C. and opts for a more balanced attack this year.
    ^^ .... amen

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post

the last game against the Bengals is a classic example. we're missing AB, it's a must win and Cincinnati has one of the worst run defenses in the league.

so what do we do? Ben throws the ball 45 times while Conner and Samuels combined carry the ball only 16 times.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    the last game against the Bengals is a classic example. we're missing AB, it's a must win and Cincinnati has one of the worst run defenses in the league.

so what do we do? Ben throws the ball 45 times while Conner and Samuels combined carry the ball only 16 times.
    I watched that game but I don't recall did Cinc have 7 or 8 in the box 45 times causing us to audible to the better option? That is where sometimes the #'s don't tell the entire story. 45 passes is not a unusual number but how we got into or out of passing plays and why is really something that requires play break down. I get the point their run D is weak yet we pass. But why.... and there lies the explanation behind the #'s.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    I watched that game but I don't recall did Cinc have 7 or 8 in the box 45 times causing us to audible to the better option? That is where sometimes the #'s don't tell the entire story. 45 passes is not a unusual number but how we got into or out of passing plays and why is really something that requires play break down. I get the point their run D is weak yet we pass. But why.... and there lies the explanation behind the #'s.
    we only scored 16 points, Ben threw for under 300 yards with only 1 TD pass along with one interception.

doesn't sound to me like Cincy had 7 or 8 in the box all 45 times.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    we only scored 16 points, Ben threw for under 300 yards with only 1 TD pass along with one interception.

doesn't sound to me like Cincy had 7 or 8 in the box all 45 times.
    Checking to the better play option still requires execution. For whatever reason our O wasn't on that day. Why ? IDK. For the most part our future HOF Qb gets us into better plays more often then not so moving forward I'm confident in that aspect for 19.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Checking to the better play option still requires execution. For whatever reason our O wasn't on that day. Why ? IDK. For the most part our future HOF Qb gets us into better plays more often then not so moving forward I'm confident in that aspect for 19.
    One thing that concerned me about that game is JuJu struggled to get open and the other WR’s were even worse at making plays.