Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38

Thread: Merril Hoge says new-look Pittsburgh Steelers are a better team

  1. #21
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    So a positive assessment makes him a "homer."

    Would a negative assessment make him more credible?
    No... I mean yes....Maybe?....I don’t know...

  2. #22
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    So a positive assessment makes him a "homer."

    Would a negative assessment make him more credible?
    I think the lack of critical/negative assessment makes someone a homer.

  3. #23
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Yellow skin, bald head, five o'clock shadow, four fingers on each hand, immense craving for Duff beer and doughnuts...that's what makes someone a homer.

    Or being a Greek philosopher. One or the other.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

    Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

    We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

    We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

  4. #24
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by AzStillers1989 View Post
    No... I mean yes....Maybe?....I don’t know...
    yeah; I know. Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Been there.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

  5. #25
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    I keep hearing people talk about the loss of Bell. I know I've mentioned this before, but it is laughable. His being gone from the 2018 team is the very definition of addition by subtraction. He provided nothing positive to the team last year by not playing. The only contributions he provided were negative.

    As for AB, are you really looking for someone to replace his numbers, or are you looking for the offense to continue to produce? This will be where we find out a lot about Ben. I think that there are plenty of weapons on this O, and a line that will give him time to find someone.

    While we have all anointed Ju Ju as the number one receiver, I don't think that he has the diva mindset that normally accompanies that designation. When AB saw tightened coverage he would be upset at not getting the ball. I believe that JJSS would be happy to watch the other receivers produce TDs as he receives double coverage, leaving them in space. I could see a scenario where his numbers drop over last year and the Steelers O still hums along. I could see games where he puts up 3-35 and still get the W because Washington, Moncrief, or Johnson puts up monster numbers - or the running backs thrive.

    We should see an upgrade in the running game as Conner enters his third year, Samuels his second, and Snell hopefully finding his niche.

    Can't wait for game 1.

  6. #26
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    This will be where we find out a lot about Ben.
    I already know enough about Ben at this point.

    He was a Hall of Fame caliber QB before Brown and Bell.
    He was a Hall of Fame caliber QB with Brown and Bell.
    He'll continue to be a Hall of Fame caliber QB after Brown and Bell.

    I've seen Ben produce with Plaxico.
    I've seen Ben produce with Hines.
    I've seen Ben produce with Santonio.
    I've seen Ben produce with Wallace.
    I've seen Ben produce with Brown.
    I've seen Ben produce with Juju.

    Hell, I've seen Ben produce with Cedrick Wilson, Nate Washington, Antwaan Randle El, Jerricho Cotchery, Manny Sanders, Markus Wheaton, Martavis Bryant, etc., etc. etc.

    I've seen Ben produce with the Bus.
    I've seen Ben produce with Fast Willie.
    I've seen Ben produce with Mendenhall.
    I've seen Ben produce with Bell.
    I've seen Ben produce with DeAngelo.
    I've seen Ben produce with Conner.

    Hell, I've seen Ben produce with Duce Staley, Verron Haynes, Najeh Davenport, Mewelde Moore, Isaac Redman, Jonathan Dwyer, LeGarrette Blount, etc., etc. etc.

    The common denominator throughout all of this is Ben. He'll be more than fine.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

    Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

    We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

    We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

  7. #27
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I already know enough about Ben at this point.

    He was a Hall of Fame caliber QB before Brown and Bell.
    He was a Hall of Fame caliber QB with Brown and Bell.
    He'll continue to be a Hall of Fame caliber QB after Brown and Bell.

    I've seen Ben produce with Plaxico.
    I've seen Ben produce with Hines.
    I've seen Ben produce with Santonio.
    I've seen Ben produce with Wallace.
    I've seen Ben produce with Brown.
    I've seen Ben produce with Juju.

    Hell, I've seen Ben produce with Cedrick Wilson, Nate Washington, Antwaan Randle El, Jerricho Cotchery, Manny Sanders, Markus Wheaton, Martavis Bryant, etc., etc. etc.

    I've seen Ben produce with the Bus.
    I've seen Ben produce with Fast Willie.
    I've seen Ben produce with Mendenhall.
    I've seen Ben produce with Bell.
    I've seen Ben produce with DeAngelo.
    I've seen Ben produce with Conner.

    Hell, I've seen Ben produce with Duce Staley, Verron Haynes, Najeh Davenport, Mewelde Moore, Isaac Redman, Jonathan Dwyer, LeGarrette Blount, etc., etc. etc.

    The common denominator throughout all of this is Ben. He'll be more than fine.
    If you read this the right way it sounds like it could be Dr. Seuss....except for where you said hell.

    I don't doubt that he will produce, I wonder if this year he will become more of a Brady - a game manager (meant as a compliment, not the insulting way he was referred to when he was younger). Will he thread the needle to Ju Ju when Conner is standing all alone in the flat? IMO that is what makes Brady who he is. Not the spectacular throws but the patience and vision to find Chris Hogan wide open for 180 and 2 TDs in the playoffs.

  8. #28
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I already know enough about Ben at this point.

    He was a Hall of Fame caliber QB before Brown and Bell.
    He was a Hall of Fame caliber QB with Brown and Bell.
    He'll continue to be a Hall of Fame caliber QB after Brown and Bell.

    I've seen Ben produce with Plaxico.
    I've seen Ben produce with Hines.
    I've seen Ben produce with Santonio.
    I've seen Ben produce with Wallace.
    I've seen Ben produce with Brown.
    I've seen Ben produce with Juju.

    Hell, I've seen Ben produce with Cedrick Wilson, Nate Washington, Antwaan Randle El, Jerricho Cotchery, Manny Sanders, Markus Wheaton, Martavis Bryant, etc., etc. etc.

    I've seen Ben produce with the Bus.
    I've seen Ben produce with Fast Willie.
    I've seen Ben produce with Mendenhall.
    I've seen Ben produce with Bell.
    I've seen Ben produce with DeAngelo.
    I've seen Ben produce with Conner.

    Hell, I've seen Ben produce with Duce Staley, Verron Haynes, Najeh Davenport, Mewelde Moore, Isaac Redman, Jonathan Dwyer, LeGarrette Blount, etc., etc. etc.

    The common denominator throughout all of this is Ben. He'll be more than fine.
    Best comment of the month so far. Kudos.

  9. #29
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    I don’t think it’s laughable when discussing the loss of Bell. Our running game started out wrong but when we needed it the most it came up short.

    Conner has yet to show he can play 15 games. He runs hard but when he makes a mistake he tends to turtle up instead of having a short memory.

    Samuels is great at what ge does and pretty bad at what he doesn’t do which is pick up the blitz.

    JuJu has the positive attitude but outside of Moncreif we have no idea if anyone is ready to step up in crunch time.

    It’s going to be interesting and I have no idea what to expect this year but it should be a fun ride.

  10. #30
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I keep hearing people talk about the loss of Bell. I know I've mentioned this before, but it is laughable. His being gone from the 2018 team is the very definition of addition by subtraction. He provided nothing positive to the team last year by not playing. The only contributions he provided were negative.

    As for AB, are you really looking for someone to replace his numbers, or are you looking for the offense to continue to produce? This will be where we find out a lot about Ben. I think that there are plenty of weapons on this O, and a line that will give him time to find someone.

    While we have all anointed Ju Ju as the number one receiver, I don't think that he has the diva mindset that normally accompanies that designation. When AB saw tightened coverage he would be upset at not getting the ball. I believe that JJSS would be happy to watch the other receivers produce TDs as he receives double coverage, leaving them in space. I could see a scenario where his numbers drop over last year and the Steelers O still hums along. I could see games where he puts up 3-35 and still get the W because Washington, Moncrief, or Johnson puts up monster numbers - or the running backs thrive.

    We should see an upgrade in the running game as Conner enters his third year, Samuels his second, and Snell hopefully finding his niche.

    Can't wait for game 1.
    well said; I could see the passing game being totally spread out in the manner you are saying.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •