Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hines Ward says you ‘can’t compare’ his stats to AB’s

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Not sure how you came to this conclusion but everything that's recently been printed suggests his route running was not good and a source of friction with the QB.
    We have tons of video evidence of AB’s precise route running.

I’m sure his disgruntled practice routes were sloppy for obvious reasons.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post

I think his disgruntled sloppy routes carried over into certain games last season as well. It was never about his talent and capability. It was all about his ego.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I think his disgruntled sloppy routes carried over into certain games last season as well. It was never about his talent and capability. It was all about his ego.
    This could be true.

I was never a fan of our best players essentially resting the whole preseason.

I would like to see our starters go back to the traditional model for preseason.

1st game - don’t dress
    2nd game - 1 quarter of play
    3rd game - 2 quarters
    4th game - don’t dress

Legend

User Info Menu

This could be true.

I was never a fan of our best players essentially resting the whole preseason.

I would like to see our starters go back to the traditional model for preseason.

1st game - don’t dress
    2nd game - 1 quarter of play
    3rd game - 2 quarters
    4th game - don’t dress
    The only slight alterations that I would make to your preseason suggestions would be at least one series in the first preseason game (or maybe 2 if it ends up being something like a 3 and out), and then have the starters come out again after halftime of game 3 for at least one more series in the second half.

As you suggest, one quarter is fine for game 2, and I don't mind our best players sitting out game 4 entirely.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Some people beg to differ, even opponents

Claims Of Poor Route Running By Antonio Brown Continue To Surface

steelersdepot.com

If there is anything that we have not been lacking over the course of the past two weeks, it has been discussion over Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown. We already know the many angles from which his situation has been discussed, including the decision to exclude him from the All-Pro team.

One theme that has recently surfaced, however, has been the idea that he is not a crisp route runner. Peter King recently said that, and he was evidently told that by Aditi Kinkabwala, who appeared on his podcast. She quoted Baltimore Ravenscornerback Jimmy Smith on that topic.

“There is no player that is more complicated to cover because he doesn’t do anything traditionally”, she said in citing Smith. “He’s out there making stuff up, Ben is pump-faking, and somehow finds him. And they will both tell you, there is no one that I have ever been around in 10 years of covering the NFL that improvises together that these two men do”.

While it’s true that many of the biggest plays that Brown and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger have made, not just this year but also over the years, have been a product of Roethlisberger making a play and Brown putting himself in a position to get to it, the argument that he is not a crisp route runner is still difficult to buy.

Needless to say, we watch a fair amount of Brown here, and we have plenty of clips of him running routes in our weekly game breakdowns. Often enough, we feature plays in which his route-running is so crisp and precise that he leaves the defensive back with broken ankles and emerging wide open.

So while I certainly buy the argument that a lot of the pair’s success is attributable to them making things happen after the initial play breaks down, one can’t conclude from that that it’s because Brown didn’t run a crisp enough route in the first place. Frankly, Roethlisberger is often too slow to pull the trigger, which is why he has to extend as many plays as he does.

“If Antonio Brown goes to the Jets, there’s no way that Sam Darnold is going to be able to do that”, Kinkhabwala said of having the post-script rapport with the wide receiver. “if Antonio Brown goes to the Patriots, there’s no way Tom Brady is putting up with that nonsense. He’ll say ‘be where you’re supposed to be at the time you’re supposed to be there’”.

“He 100 percent does not want to go right now”, she also said of Brown regarding a possible trade. “He recognizes that, acknowledges that, he is not looking to be traded. He does not want to leave”. She said that she believes the current situation is a power struggle between the quarterback and the wide receiver.

I would be curious to know where this discussion about the crispness of his route-running has emerged from, because frankly it’s not one that I’ve ever seen discussed in the national media previously. In fact, he has in the past been well-regarded as one of the sharpest route-runners in the league.

Starter

User Info Menu

I read that article and have no idea what they are trying to imply.

Ben extends plays and AB was great at getting open once a play broke down.

That isn’t poor route running, that’s years of playing with a QB who likes to extend plays and knowing when to break a route off.
    Last edited by Oh wow; 07-11-2019 at 02:27 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I read that article and have no idea what they are trying to imply.

Ben extends plays and AB was great at getting open once a play broke down.

That isn’t poor route running, that’s years of playing with a QB who likes to extend plays and knowing when to break a route off.
    I guess maybe they're implying 2 things:
    1) Maybe Brown goes to improvisation too soon and it causes Ben to have to hold on to the ball too long? or
    2) Maybe Ben holds onto the ball too long and doesn't throw it initially forcing Brown to improvise?

I'd imagine there's evidence of both things on tape.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I guess maybe they're implying 2 things:
    1) Maybe Brown goes to improvisation too soon and it causes Ben to have to hold on to the ball too long? or
    2) Maybe Ben holds onto the ball too long and doesn't throw it initially forcing Brown to improvise?

I'd imagine there's evidence of both things on tape.
    Even if true for both parties that isn’t sloppy route running. That’s called miscommunication and it will happen from time to time when you have a duo who has been the best in the biz at adlibbing.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Even if true for both parties that isn’t sloppy route running. That’s called miscommunication and it will happen from time to time when you have a duo who has been the best in the biz at adlibbing.
    I agree with you.

There's lots to say about AB, but he's an exceptional role runner.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    "I wasn't the biggest, I wasn't the fastest, but I worked my butt off,"
    Just like Jerry Rice.