Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hines Ward says you ‘can’t compare’ his stats to AB’s

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    If Hines had a "diva side" then AB is the Queen Bee. I don't care for a few of the things Ward did, but he's a choir boy next to Mr. Mayhem-like-me.
    AB was definitely worse because he forced a trade but IMO I don’t think they were that far apart when it comes to their beef with Ben and off field drama.

It’s not like AB was a pain from day 1. His antics are still fresh so they sting much more but Hines was a piece of work when he was doing his thing off the field.

Some folks think Twitter doesn’t make a difference but I think it does. These days a few question marks or an emoji turn into think pieces online.

Not trying to dog Hines out but I think history is much kinder after the dust settles.

Back when it was happening in real time it was ugly and unprofessional. One thing players never should do is question another players toughness publicly when injured.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    AB was definitely worse because he forced a trade but IMO I don’t think they were that far apart when it comes to their beef with Ben and off field drama.
    Really??? Hines never did anything CLOSE to getting PUT OUT about his TEAMMATE winning MVP, and then QUITTING on his TEAM when they were making a push for the playoffs. Hines never did anything CLOSE to chucking an ottoman off a balcony, and narrowly missing a little kid below. Hines never did anything CLOSE to VIOLATING his coach's orders/team protocol by livestreaming his coach's lockerroom address. I don't recall Hines ever throwing a cooler on the sideline or otherwise going off on a tantrum because he wasn't getting the ball as much as he wanted. If you don't think Ward and Brown were that far apart, then you probably think the Pittsburgh Hills are nearly as tall as the Himalayas.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If I had to choose one player in their prime for one game, I'd take AB without thinking about it. I think he's probably the best WR we've ever had (and we've had lots of good ones).

There's lots to like about them both. They were both underdogs from their draft position that worked their asses off to be the best WRs on their respective teams.

Hines won a SB and got the MVP (in a game where there probably wasn't a clear choice).

AB never won a SB, but consistently made insane catches all over the field.

I think putting Hines on the team for the past few years doesn't overcome the lack of D and AB probably contributes as much as Hines on those teams if he doesn't lose his ****.

But losing his **** ended up being the other thing AB was really good at. But maybe he just figured that we weren't going to win a championship with this D when Ben was still here, so he might as well try to maximize his income.

A lot of the BS with AB gets put on Tomlin for appeasement, and that's probably fair. But I also wonder if extending him early the first time (which I think was reasonable given how he outperformed his contract) made him feel like he could demand similar treatment again when he was already making a ton of $$$.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Brown is probably a better WR than Ward. No question that Ward was a better football player than Brown.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Brown is probably a better WR than Ward. No question that Ward was a better football player than Brown.
    Better team mate at the very least.

And Ward was a great player too.

But if you can't compare their stats directly, you can compare them to their peers. AB was a 4x all pro, Ward made that team 0 times. Not the be all and end all, but I think that's why AB will make the Hall and Ward will be just short.

Legend

User Info Menu

Let’s slow down a bit. Hines was awesome but he also threatened to hold out and called Ben out ON AIR for not playing due to an “injury”

He also bashed Ben anytime he said he wanted a big target WR.

I think if we dealt Hines to another team when he was at his worst we would probably be viewed much differently.

Now granted he never said he wanted to move on from the Steelers publicly but man, Hines and Ben used to go at it and used the media that was available at the time to jab each other.

Imagine if Hines has access to Twitter or Instagram when they were beefing?

Hines is just lucky he wasn’t around for the 24/7 access we have these days.
    Oh wow, I think you are making more of this than there really was. This was two good players goading each other to be better. I just finish rewatching PIT-GB in 2009 on NFLN (great game btw). In the post game on the field, I am pretty sure I heard Roethlisberger call out Hines for running a bad route. The jabs never got to the flame level that AB fanned. And while Ward threatened to hold out, he didn't follow through with it and didn't make a media event of it by rapping on the team. So no, I don't see the two situations in the same light. (maybe my Ward glasses have me blinded....).

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

IMO I don’t think they were that far apart when it comes to their beef with Ben and off field drama.
    Back when it was happening in real time it was ugly and unprofessional. One thing players never should do is question another players toughness publicly when injured.
    Hines made a really bad statement about Ben right after an emotional loss without Ben.
    At the time he didn't know that Ben was not cleared by the doctors to play.
    But, he cared enough to publicly apologize not only to Ben but all of his teammates as well.

I must've missed the part where AB apologized for ANY of his crap, and that's a long list.
    The Hines vs AB diva comparison is not even close.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Really??? Hines never did anything CLOSE to getting PUT OUT about his TEAMMATE winning MVP, and then QUITTING on his TEAM when they were making a push for the playoffs. Hines never did anything CLOSE to chucking an ottoman off a balcony, and narrowly missing a little kid below. Hines never did anything CLOSE to VIOLATING his coach's orders/team protocol by livestreaming his coach's lockerroom address. I don't recall Hines ever throwing a cooler on the sideline or otherwise going off on a tantrum because he wasn't getting the ball as much as he wanted. If you don't think Ward and Brown were that far apart, then you probably think the Pittsburgh Hills are nearly as tall as the Himalayas.
    Like I said.. the wounds are still fresh from AB’s antics.

But if we listed off Hines off field drama it’s not much better.

DUI
    Held out for more money
    Threw Ben under the bus
    Temper tantrum anytime we drafted or talked about a tall WR.

People keep bringing up the live stream on FB.

Hines CALLED a sports reporter to air out Ben over not playing and said 50% of the team was upset with Ben.

Just sayin’

Hines wasn’t far from a saint next to AB.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Oh wow, I think you are making more of this than there really was. This was two good players goading each other to be better. I just finish rewatching PIT-GB in 2009 on NFLN (great game btw). In the post game on the field, I am pretty sure I heard Roethlisberger call out Hines for running a bad route. The jabs never got to the flame level that AB fanned. And while Ward threatened to hold out, he didn't follow through with it and didn't make a media event of it by rapping on the team. So no, I don't see the two situations in the same light. (maybe my Ward glasses have me blinded....).

Media event? Announcing that you are holding out to the media is a media event.

Rapping badly about it isn’t a media event. It’s just bad rapping

Legend

User Info Menu

The HC met privately and asked Ward to end his holdout and come to camp. And it was all Ward needed. Quite a contrast to the Steelers owner having to fly to meet his #1 and hear his reasoning for not living up to a contract he had already signed.

One memory that Ward will not cherish, and that he continues to live with to this day, was his decision to hold out for a new contract during training camp in 2005. “The year that we won the Super Bowl [in the 2005 season], I held out that year”, he said, “and I remember coming into training camp and he was one of the first guys that I saw when I got into Pittsburgh, and coming out of that holdout”/

“I apologized” said the former wide receiver. “I told him I never wanted to bring negative attention to our organization. It was a misunderstanding on my behalf, on behalf of my agent, and part of a miscommunication with the Pittsburgh Steelers”.

“But I never, ever, ever—that is something I will always regret, of holding out for the Pittsburgh Steelers because he’s given me so much”, reflected Ward about his time with the Steelers and with Papa Rooney. “He gave me the opportunity to live my dream. And playing for 14 years, there’s not a day that goes by that I [don’t] just feel bad for having that kind of dispute with the Pittsburgh organization, holding out”.

Rooney’s response to Ward’s apology was a simple one. “He said ‘hey, don’t worry about it’”, he recalled, continuing to tell the receiver that “’we want you to be a Pittsburgh Steeler for life, and go out there and help us win a Super Bowl’”.

Steelers Coach Bill Cowher talked at length with the four-time Pro Bowl receiver on Sunday night and convinced him of his importance to a team that went 15-1 last season.

"For me, I needed to hear that from my head coach, this support -- that's all a player can ask for. If your coach doesn't have confidence in you as a ballplayer, maybe you need to part ways," Ward said before the game. "It's been a long time since we had a conversation like that. ... That's why I'm
    here, showing good faith, because I want to retire a Steeler."