Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hines Ward says you ‘can’t compare’ his stats to AB’s

Legend

User Info Menu

Hines Ward Ready To See Steelers ‘Just Line Up And Kick Tail’, Leaving Drama Behind

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on July 9, 2019

Hines Ward is one of the most beloved members of the Pittsburgh Steelers’ franchise. Not just in recent years, but in their entire history, which includes an awful lot of players that people have loved over the years. There are many people for whom Ward is and will always be their favorite player. In many ways, he personified the image of ‘Steelers football’, which is why he even made the occasional appearances in the Renegade montages. Not ordinarily the domain of a wide receiver.

A third-round pick who didn’t even have an ACL, Ward made something of himself and even won his share of battles. When it came time to decide who was going to get a new contract between himself and Plaxico Burress, it was Ward who remained with the franchise, and ultimately retired as a Steeler.

It’s for these and many other reasons that people still listen when he talks. And he’s had a few things to say about his former team this offseason, which have been polarizing to some degree. While giving an interview for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution recently, he did briefly revisit the Steelers, asked about his thoughts on the changes the team has made this offseason.

It’s just getting back to Steelers football. Not really the drama that goes on outside of football, off the field. It’s really, let’s just line up, come together as a team, just line up and kick tail, that’s the Pittsburgh way. In order to get over the hump and get past New England and all that, I think that’s key is just lining up and focus on football, leave all the other stuff at home.

Ward himself hasn’t always been free of drama, most notably publicly questioning Ben Roethlisberger not playing due to a concussion in a big game during a primetime broadcast. That raised some eyebrows at the time and soon after he apologized for his comments.

Still, I think pretty much everybody can get on board when he says that the Steelers need to “just [line] up and focus on football, leave all the other stuff at home”. There’s no doubt that there has been too much of the other stuff over the course of the past couple of years, but there is an overwhelming sense, and projection from the players, that that stuff is behind them.

Of course, riding a 2-4 record into a postseason-less season just a year after going 13-3, and having been in position to have a bye week for the second year in a row, can have a pretty sobering effect in and of itself.

Outside of the removal of two very high-profile personalities from the equation this offseason, I also think that the intense attention and scrutiny the team has been under has been a key factor in their rallying together as a team more than they have in years. How will that tangibly affect the on-field factor? That remains to be seen.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/07/hi...-drama-behind/

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Hines won Dancing with the Stars.

AB didn't even make it to the finals.

End of discussion...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit View Post

End of discussion...

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I have had the discussion often, stating that it is difficult to compare players because every player plays within his own situation.

Hines Ward was the number one WR on a run first, power football offense.

Antonio Brown was the number one WR on a wide-open, pass happy offense.

Not saying that one is better than the other, but if numbers define how good a receiver is then you'd expect both AB and Ju Ju to put up similar numbers to last season this year, but I am willing to bet that one or both has at least a 20% change in production in '19.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If I was building a team today to win a ring and I could choose Hines Ward in his prime or AB in his prime, I'd take Hines Ward. They both play with heart and give 110% but I think Hines is the better overall football player (which includes brutal blocking) and he's more wiling to sacrifice individual statistics for team goals. AB is a more precise route-runner and is quicker and more elusive. But I'd still take Hines for the team chemistry and on-field toughness.

And interestingly enough, I think we have the next Hines Ward on the team. His name is Juju. And I think he has the potential to be more productive. And if his attitude stays the way it is now, he has the opportunity to become a Steelers icon.
    Last edited by Eich; 07-10-2019 at 01:22 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yup...Juju brings Hines Ward's physicality and mindset to a modern day 2019 NFL offense.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Yup...Juju brings Hines Ward's physicality and mindset to a modern day 2019 NFL offense.
    Yeah. JuJu and Hines are damn near the same player. Ju Ju is physical, isn’t fast on paper but always finds a way to outrun faster guys and he is always smiling.

When we drafted him Hines was the first person that came to mind.

I think JuJu is has a larger catch radius than Hines too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit View Post

End of discussion...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    ..... AB is a more precise route-runner ..... and is quicker and more elusive..
    Not sure how you came to this conclusion but everything that's recently been printed suggests his route running was not good and a source of friction with the QB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Laying wood on Burfict is forever burned in my memory...