Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Pittsburgh Steelers all-time 53-man roster

Legend

User Info Menu

The Pittsburgh Steelers all-time 53-man roster

The Pittsburgh Steelers all-time 53-man roster

By BRYAN DEARDO

It's hard to fathom any other NFL team having more talent through the years that the Pittsburgh Steelers. Pro football's winningest team since the AFL-NFL merger of 1970, Pittsburgh has had a slew of Hall of Fame talent during the team's run of success over that span.

Below is our version of the Steelers' all-time depth chart.

QUARTERBACK

Ben Roethlisberger

Terry Bradshaw

Bobby Layne

Ben Roethlisberger is top ten all-time in NFL history in career passing yards and touchdowns. He's also top ten all-time in total victories by a starting quarterback. Terry Bradshaw, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame as well as the Steelers' recently created Hall of Honor, is one of just three quarterbacks in NFL history to have four Super Bowl victories. Bobby Layne, a member of the Hall of Fame as well as Pittsburgh's Hall of Honor, guided the Steelers to their best pre-dynasty season in 1962, as Pittsburgh finished second to the New York Giants in the NFL's East division.

RUNNING BACK/FULLBACK

Franco Harris

Jerome Bettis

Rocky Bleier

Franco Harris, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame as well as the Steelers' Hall of Honor, helped lead the Steelers to four Super Bowl titles during the 1970s and is still the franchise's all-time leading rusher. Jerome Bettis, also a member of the Hall of Fame as well as Pittsburgh's Hall of Honor, is the seventh leading rusher in NFL history and Super Bowl XL champion. Bleier, a member of Pittsburgh's Hall of Honor, started in each of Pittsburgh's four Super Bowl victories during the 1970s. His touchdown catch in Super Bowl XIII helped the Steelers defeat the Cowboys for the second time in Super Bowl competition. In 1976, he and Harris became the second pair of teammates in NFL history to each rush for over 1,000 yards in a season.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Center - Mike Webster, Dermontti Dawson, Maurkice Pouncey

Right Guard - David DeCastro, Gerry Mullins

Left Tackle - Jon Kolb, Alejandro Villanueva

Right Tackle - Tunch Ilkin, Larry Brown

Left Guard - Alan Faneca, Craig Wofley

Even the greatest NFL defense would have their hands full against this offensive line. While each of these positions is strong, Pittsburgh's center position - a group that includes two Hall of Famers and possibly a future third HOF'er in Pouncey - is the strongest of the group.

WIDE RECEIVER

John Stallworth

Lynn Swann

Hines Ward

Antonio Brown

Louis Lipps

The Steelers have two Hall of Famers at wide receiver (Swann and Stallworth) and future Hall of Famers Hines Ward and Antonio Brown. Louis Lipps, a two time Pro Bowler, was one of the team's best players during the 1980s. The group has a total of 16 Pro Bowls, ten Super Bowl titles and two Super Bowl MVPs between them.

TIGHT END

Heath Miller

Eric Green

Randy Grossman

The greatest tight end in franchise history, Heath Miller won two Super Bowls with the Steelers. Eric Green, a two time Pro Bowler, has the team's single season record for receiving yards by a tight end. Randy Grossman, primarily a blocking tight end, caught a decisive touchdown in Pittsburgh's victory over Dallas in Super Bowl X. Grossman was a member of each of Pittsburgh's four 1970s Super Bowl teams.

DEFENSIVE LINE

Left Defensive Tackle - Joe Greene, Cam Heyward

Right Defensive Tackle - Ernie Stautner, Ernie Holmes

Nose Tackle - Casey Hampton, Ernie Holmes

Right Defensive End - Dwight White, Aaron Smith

Left Defensive End - L.C. Greenwood, Aaron Smith

Like several other position, the Steelers all-time depth chart is loaded on the defensive line. The group is spearheaded by Joe Greene and Ernie Stautner, the only two members of the organization to have their numbers officially retired by the club. The group also includes original Steel Curtain members L.C. Greenwood, Dwight White and Ernie Holmes. The group also includes two members of the team's most recent Super Bowl winners in Casey Hampton and Aaron Smith.

LINEBACKER

Right Inside Linebacker - Jack Lambert, Andy Russell

Left Insider Linebacker - James Farrior, Levon Kirkland

Left Outside Linebacker - Jack Ham, Kevin Greene

Right Outside Linebacker - James Harrison, Joey Porter

Along with their receivers, Pittsburgh's greatest position may be their linebackers, led by Hall of Famers Jack Lambert, Jack Ham and Kevin Greene. This group combined to earn 15 Super Bowl rings, two Defensive Player of the Year awards and numerous All-Pro, Pro Bowl selections.

CORNERBACK

Right Cornerback: Mel Blount, Ike Taylor

Left Cornerback: Rod Woodson, J.T. Thomas

Pittsburgh's cornerback position features a pair of Hall of Famers/Steelers Hall of Honor enshrines in Mel Blount and Rod Woodson. Blount, the 1975 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, is Pittsburgh's all-time leader with 57 career interceptions. Woodson, the 1993 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, was named to the NFL's 75th Anniversary Team in 1994.

SAFETY

Strong Safety: Troy Polamalu, Donnie Shell, Carnell Lake

Free Safety: Mike Wagner, Darren Perry

This unit is led by Troy Polamalu, an eight time Pro Bowler, four time All-Pro, two time Super Bowl champion and the 2010 NFL Defensive Player of the Year. Snell, a member of each of Pittsburgh's four Super Bowl teams of the 1970s, is second in franchise history with 51 interceptions. Wagner, like Shell, was a member of each of each of the Steelers' championship teams during the 1970s. Lake and Perry were two of Pittsburgh's best defensive players during the 1990s.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...7/#133210167_9

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Wish we could clone Mel Blount and Rod Woodson then insert them both into the starting lineup for the upcoming season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    Wish we could clone Mel Blount and Rod Woodson then insert them both into the starting lineup for the upcoming season.
    Mel Blount would get called for some kind of a penalty on every play in today's NFL.

Legend

User Info Menu

Changes I'd make to that list:

Although Steeler fans love everything that Rocky Bleier stands for and tend to loathe everything Le'Veon Bell stands for, objectively, Bell is simply a much more talented RB overall. Trying to vote objectively here rather than with my heart.

Steeler fans also love what Alejandro Villenueva stands for as well, but it's rather early to put him on one of these lists. I'd say Marvel Smith was a better LT over a longer period of time than Big Al up to this point.

Jeff Hartings and Ray Mansfield both played center for the Steelers...and those two aren't going to knock any of the Webster/Dawson/Pouncey trio off the list...but centers could also play guard, and I'd rather have Hartings and Mansfield as interior OL depth than Mullins and Wolfley in the grand scheme of things.

I'd take old timer Elbie Nickel over the monster Eric Green at TE, and among 70's TE's, I'd choose Bennie Cunningham over Randy Grossman.

Kevin Greene was a one-dimensional pass rusher in Pittsburgh for only 3 years (if you include his time with the Rams and Panthers as well, he's a Hall of Famer), but Greg Lloyd was a more well-rounded LB in Pittsburgh over a longer period of time.

And finally, old school Jack Butler over new school Ike Taylor at CB. That is all.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Not sure if I'm ready to AV on that list yet - I think one of the most underrated LTs in STEELER HISTORY is John Jackson.
    At this point I'd rank JJ over AV.
    Being from Western NY I've never seen a LT in the 1990s dominate Bruce Smith like John Jackson did.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Changes I'd make to that list:

Although Steeler fans love everything that Rocky Bleier stands for and tend to loathe everything Le'Veon Bell stands for, objectively, Bell is simply a much more talented RB overall. Trying to vote objectively here rather than with my heart.

Steeler fans also love what Alejandro Villenueva stands for as well, but it's rather early to put him on one of these lists. I'd say Marvel Smith was a better LT over a longer period of time than Big Al up to this point.

Jeff Hartings and Ray Mansfield both played center for the Steelers...and those two aren't going to knock any of the Webster/Dawson/Pouncey trio off the list...but centers could also play guard, and I'd rather have Hartings and Mansfield as interior OL depth than Mullins and Wolfley in the grand scheme of things.

I'd take old timer Elbie Nickel over the monster Eric Green at TE, and among 70's TE's, I'd choose Bennie Cunningham over Randy Grossman.

Kevin Greene was a one-dimensional pass rusher in Pittsburgh for only 3 years (if you include his time with the Rams and Panthers as well, he's a Hall of Famer), but Greg Lloyd was a more well-rounded LB in Pittsburgh over a longer period of time.

And finally, old school Jack Butler over new school Ike Taylor at CB. That is all.
    Agree with most of your comments but would include John Henry Johnson over Blier. Blier benefitted from having everyone focused on Harris and being part of a dynasty. Johnson had little supporting cast

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Not sure if I'm ready to AV on that list yet - I think one of the most underrated LTs in STEELER HISTORY is John Jackson.
    Being from Western NY I've never seen a LT in the 1990s dominate Bruce Smith like John Jackson did.
    I agree about Jackson. He was good.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Good call with John Jackson. I was wracking my brain going back in time with Steeler LT's before AV (Kelvin Beachum, Max Starks, Marvel Smith, Wayne Gandy, etc.) but I guess I didn't go far enough back to recall the John Jackson days off the top of my head.

Among interior OL as well, a dude who was physically dominant, albeit for a brief amount of time, was Carlton Haselrig, and it was even more impressive that he was a wrestler in college as opposed to a football player.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Agree with most of your comments but would include John Henry Johnson over Blier. Blier benefitted from having everyone focused on Harris and being part of a dynasty. Johnson had little supporting cast
    I considered John Henry Johnson as well...if his entire career was in Pittsburgh, I might have chosen him, but he has 3 years in San Fran and another 3 years in Detroit before coming to Pittsburgh, then a year in Houston after leaving the Steelers as well. Just comparing his 6 year Steeler career to Le'Veon Bell's 5 year Steeler career...Bell was simply more dominant. Johnson's certainly worthy of consideration for such an accolade, though. He doesn't have a stall in the Great Hall at Heinz Field for nothing.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

This is the Greatest ALL-TIME Steelers roster. How can you have an all-time Steelers roster without HALL OF FAMER Bullet Bill Dudley?
    Listed as a HB, he would come before Johnson, Bell and Bleier IMO.
    He not only ran the ball, He did the passing, punting, kicking, played defense, also returned punts and kickoffs.
    While with the Steelers he led the NFL in Rushing, interceptions, return yardage and punt returns.
    Also with the Steelers, He was All-Pro, NFL MVP and even did a hitch in the military.
    NFL Hall of Fame and Steelers Hall of Honor.
    Last edited by STH70; 07-03-2019 at 11:03 AM.