Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AOD: Which pair of Steelers OLBs was more dominant? Woodley/Harrison or Greene/Lloyd?

Legend

User Info Menu

I'll take Greene and Lloyd every game

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Surprisingly enough...not really (if we go further back looking at the Steel Curtain era, then yeah). Completion percentage has gone way up since the mid-90's, but not necessarily raw passing attempt numbers.

In 1993:
    NFL teams averaged 32.2 pass attempts per game.
    QB's were sacked an average of 2.4 times per game.

In 1994:
    NFL teams averaged 33.6 pass attempts per game.
    QB's were sacked an average of 2.1 times per game.

In 1995:
    NFL teams averaged 34.8 pass attempts per game.
    QB's were sacked an average of 2.2 times per game.

In 2000:
    NFL teams averaged 32.9 pass attempts per game.
    QB's were sacked an average of 2.5 times per game.

In 2001:
    NFL teams averaged 32.6 pass attempts per game.
    QB's were sacked an average of 2.4 times per game.

In 2002:
    NFL teams averaged 33.8 pass attempts per game.
    QB's were sacked an average of 2.3 times per game.

In 2008:
    NFL teams averaged 32.3 pass attempts per game.
    QB's were sacked an average of 2.0 times per game.

In 2009:
    NFL teams averaged 33.3 pass attempts per game.

In 2010:
    NFL teams averaged 33.7 pass attempts per game.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...FL/passing.htm
    Wow! Really surprised by those numbers.
    I guess the Roethlisberger glasses caught me with the record # of attempts and assumed the rest of the league generally followed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Some observations.
    I never understood the great disparity in love for K Green, yet the lack of respect for Gildon or Woodley. They are pretty much exactly the same player.All three were outstanding pass rushers but were in no other way special.
    To see the degree to which the statistics only back my long held belief is stunning.

People often get Lloyd’s strengths mixed up. Not near the rusher people remember but among the best ever against the run. We remember Lloyd’s sacks because he was a great strip sacker so his sacks were often memorable game changers

It has been my belief that Harrison is EASILY the best singly of the lot.....and the numbers clearly back that up.

He is the only one that was elite against the run and pass, and was the best at separating the ball from the offense.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-29-2019 at 10:47 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

The answer is Harrison/ Woodley.
    In addition to Harrison’s overall dominance, don’t forget that among the trio of Gildon/ Greene/ and Woodley, Lamar was the only one who was always a post-season beast.

The way their careers ended in Pittsburgh does not engender appreciation for their accomplishments in their prime.

Legend

User Info Menu

K. Greene had a grand total of 1.5 post season sacks in 6 playoff games as a Steeler.
    He had 4 sack-less games.

Woodley?
    2 sacks his VERY FIRST PLAYOFF GAME surpassing Greene’s total as a Steeler
    2 more his second playoff game
    2 more his, 3rd playoff game
    2 more his 4th playoff game

1 more in each of his next 3 playoff games

His 8th and last playoff game as a Steeler was the only one of his career without a sack.

Greene (1.5 in 6 games), Porter(6 in 11 games), Gildon (5 in 13 games), Lloyd (3 in 9 games)....combine any TWO and it will not surpass the 11 sacks Woolley had in his first 7 playoff games.

But one other Steeler also had 11 sacks in the postseason (22 games). James Harrison.
    Harrison had a single game with twice (3 sacks) Greene’s Steeler career (1.5) sacks.

HOFer Kevin Greene spent the majority of his career not a Steeler.
    17 playoff games total....8.5 sacks.....still less than what Woodley did in 7.

Woodley has more multiple sack post season games than any player since sacks have been kept as a stat.

When you include the post season, it ain’t even close people.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-29-2019 at 03:23 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I'll take Greene and Lloyd every game
    On what basis? Oh wait I forgot......your long standing irrational inclination to downplay Harrison’s dominance.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-29-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Nobody remembers how the 2008 SB game ended.
    It was not by a catch.

It was by a strip sack by Woodley

Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-29-2019 at 10:29 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

One can easily make the case that during that brief run together, not only were Harrison and Woodley the most dominant “Steeler” outside linebackers, but the most dominant pair of 3/4 outside linebackers EVER particularly in the playoffs. They aren’t remember as such because of the relative brevity of that dominance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Nobody remembers how the 2008 SB game ended.
    It was not by a catch.

It was by a strip sack by Woodley

And a recovery by Brett Keisel

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    K. Greene had a grand total of 1.5 post season sacks in 6 playoff games as a Steeler.
    He had 4 sack-less games.

Woodley?
    2 sacks his VERY FIRST PLAYOFF GAME surpassing Greene’s total as a Steeler
    2 more his second playoff game
    2 more his, 3rd playoff game
    2 more his 4th playoff game

1 more in each of his next 3 playoff games

His 8th and last playoff game as a Steeler was the only one of his career without a sack.

Greene (1.5 in 6 games), Porter(6 in 11 games), Gildon (5 in 13 games), Lloyd (3 in 9 games)....combine any TWO and it will not surpass the 11 sacks Woolley had in his first 7 playoff games.

But one other Steeler also had 11 sacks in the postseason (22 games). James Harrison.
    Harrison had a single game with twice (3 sacks) Greene’s Steeler career (1.5) sacks.

HOFer Kevin Greene spent the majority of his career not a Steeler.
    17 playoff games total....8.5 sacks.....still less than what Woodley did in 7.

Woodley has more multiple sack post season games than any player since sacks have been kept as a stat.

When you include the post season, it ain’t even close people.
    Boom.....

It’s about what you do in the post season; for players and head coaches. Thank you Cap for proving what I’ve been saying
    about Tomlin. Please see my signature for the same exact thing in our head coach.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.