Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question: Who's Our Next "All Generation" Player

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Question: Who's Our Next "All Generation" Player

Ok, so here goes....

All Generation players don't grow on trees. Over the years, the Steelers have had many great ones. Hence, the Steelers were great when these guys were in da 'Burgh. Examples are many: Lambert, Green, Bradshaw, yada yada on the 70's. We sorely miss generational greats like Ward, Polamalu, Bettis, Deebo. Ben is without question a generational great, but is about to set sail. Look back at the void that was the 80's in the organization. We had some decent talent (Pollard, Lipps to name a couple), but nothing dominant. So, the question is this: Who on the current roster could be our next exceptional player that catapults the team into the next phase of excellence? Here's what we're looking for:

For the record, we could have had all-generation guys if Bell and Brown had kept their heads screwed on straight. But, they didn't. Moving on......

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

JuJu
    TJ Watt
    Conner
    Bush

In that order.

I think JuJu has the personality to be another Bettis. I don’t think Bettis ever did anything to make anyone dislike him (thanks to Ben).

TJ Watt keeps getting better and if it continues he could be one of those guys.

Conner for the good guy/beats the odds. I think at some point he will have to be a bit selfish and snatch the #1 RB position. Feels like he wants this to be RB by committee which is fine but then he won’t be that generational talent. Just another good RB who played for us for a few years.

Bush because we love our ILB’s and well.. because we love Bush.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yeah, I'd definitely agree on Ju Ju and Watt. They are hard working and impress every game. Ju Ju I've always compared to Hines, he's big and physical, more athletic than Hines, but wears his heart on his sleeve. Connor is like our modern day Blier. Will Snell be our Franco? Time will tell. As for Bush, he has all the tools and talks the talk. Will he walk the walk? We'll soon find out!

He's seen some great ILBer's on TV....

Starter

User Info Menu

JuJu and Justin Layne

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by winwithd View Post
    JuJu and Justin Layne
    I'd love that for Layne. We need a cornerstone player on defense (along with Bush) for the next decade.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    JuJu
    TJ Watt
    Conner
    Bush
    Solid list.

Juju has endeared himself to virtually everyone already, both on an off the field. It would be hard to not love that infectious attitude toward life in general.

J.J. Watt is a god in Houston, and brother T.J. appears to be following that path. Steeler fans worship pass rushing LB's, and it seems like this kid has what it takes.

Conner's got the blue collar work ethic that Pittsburghers always look for, plus he's a local kid who kicked cancer's ass. What's not to love there?

We all hope that Devin Bush evolves into some morph of Ryan Shazier and Troy Polamalu in the middle of our defense, with a splash of James Farrior's leadership sprinkled in there. If he even comes close to that potential, he will be beloved.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I'd love that for Layne. We need a cornerstone player on defense (along with Bush) for the next decade.
    I think Layne could be this decade's Mel Blount (not that good, but good)...big, physical CB

I expect a big jump from Edmunds in Year 2.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

We need a big jump from Edmonds. I think that if he does take that jump, he’s now the difference in our defense from being good to elite.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think Layne could be this decade's Mel Blount (not that good, but good)...big, physical CB

I expect a big jump from Edmunds in Year 2.
    If this plays out, we are back as a team.
    I dont "know" is you are right but I certainly "hope" you are.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    We need a big jump from Edmonds. I think that if he does take that jump, he’s now the difference in our defense from being good to elite.
    Considering "big jumps" are what got him drafted so high (combine best in both high jump and broad jump)......I guess one would expect that.

https://www.footballperspective.com/...-2018-combine/

Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-27-2019 at 09:40 AM.