Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hargrave > Hampton?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    or maybe Hoke was a lot better than people give him credit for.
    I have always believed that Chris Hoke was very underrated...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think there should always be room for a traditional NT in a 3-4 defense.

I donít care if he only plays 2 downs. Itís worth it. Push the pocket on pass plays on early downs and eat up space on running plays.

So what if he isnít a 3 down guy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    maybe Big Snack wasn't irreplaceable.

but he was still better than Hargrave...
    In today's NFL? Nope.
    You telling me Hargrave could not do what HOKE did?

If so AND he is more athletic than either, how would his playing in that defense hurt that team?

Casey gets his rep from what everybody else did. But they did the same thing without him.

Give Hargrave those linebackers PLUS Troy and Clark and and tell me our run D suffers because Hargrave can't do what a guy who's biggest accolade is 2nd team all "Mountain West" Hoke did?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I have always believed that Chris Hoke was very underrated...
    Yes, what they all say when I bring this up.
    You are think Hoke can turn Vince W. into James Farrior?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    You are think Hoke can turn Vince W. into James Farrior?
    I don't think so, Hoke is now 43 years old

Banned

User Info Menu

Casey Hampton was very good at what he did but I remember him showing up at training camp way overweight and completely out of shape. Tomlin put him on the PUP list and forced him to lose weight before he could even begin any football practices.
    During the season I remember his slow jog off the field after 5 or 6 straight plays.
    I couldnít imagine Casey in todayís NFL, getting caught in a no-huddle drive and not able to get off the field. It would be like playing a 10 man defense.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by STH70 View Post
    Casey Hampton was very good at what he did but I remember him showing up at training camp way overweight and completely out of shape. Tomlin put him on the PUP list and forced him to lose weight before he could even begin any football practices.
    During the season I remember his slow jog off the field after 5 or 6 straight plays.
    I couldn’t imagine Casey in today’s NFL, getting caught in a no-huddle drive and not able to get off the field. It would be like playing a 10 man defense.
    Hmmm...

That’s not really a good reason. Most DL aren’t going to be effective in a no huddle after a few plays. That’s why teams go no huddle.

A player either gets “hurt” or you wait until an incompletion to substitute.

Legend

User Info Menu

I couldn’t imagine Casey in today’s NFL, getting caught in a no-huddle drive and not able to get off the field. It would be like playing a 10 man defense.
    Baltimore is going through something similar now with their current NT Michael Pierce. He was apparently too fat to safely make it through minicamp (which are essentially just glorified walkthroughs in shells) never mind full contact training camp practices.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Hmmm...

That’s not really a good reason. Most DL aren’t going to be effective in a no huddle after a few plays. That’s why teams go no huddle.

A player either gets “hurt” or you wait until an incompletion to substitute.
    Right! That's why I would MUCH rather have Hargrave on the field than Casey if the offense goes no huddle.
    After a few plays without stoppage Big Snack becomes a huge liability.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Right! That's why I would MUCH rather have Hargrave on the field than Casey if the offense goes no huddle.
    After a few plays without stoppage Big Snack becomes a huge liability.
    But so does Hargrave, Heyward and Tuitt.

How many sacks and pressures do you see when a team goes no huddle and completes a few passes?

You don’t. Those guys are just as ineffective.

If a team goes no huddle it’s primarily up to the DB’s to stop the offense.