Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hargrave > Hampton?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Dude there is no comparison between Hampton and Hargrave. Hampton was the best space occupier in the NFL during his time. He made our run defense.If you want to measure how effective Hampton was compare the statistics of Farrior and Foote versus any duo that came after Hampton retired. Hampton always occupied two lineman.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by "BuzzNuter" View Post
    Dude there is no comparison between Hampton and Hargrave. Hampton was the best space occupier in the NFL during his time. He made our run defense.If you want to measure how effective Hampton was compare the statistics of Farrior and Foote versus any duo that came after Hampton retired. Hampton always occupied two lineman.

that was my first thought when I saw this thread title.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by "BuzzNuter" View Post
    Not a fair comp. You can not compare the success of different linebackers.

What happened when Hoke replaced Casey and was the majority starter, 10 games?
    Same linebackers. THAT is a true comparison.

-Undefeated in the 10 games Casey missed
    -Number one in rush defense
    -Number one in total defense
    -Number one in scoring defense

AND.....Farriors ONLY All Pro season.

In the 6 games with Casey.
    -Had our only loss of the regular season
    -The two games with the most rush yards allowed

It is an undeniable fact that one of the best stretch of run defenses of Casey’s career was in 2004 when Casey was out with injury.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-23-2019 at 10:50 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Rediculous. Regardless of their "roles" mentioning Hargrave in the same league as Hampton is just disingenuous and a non starter for me. I haven't missed one game between the two of them! Just the fact that Casey was the throttle to one of the best run defenses of all time puts the case to rest immediately.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    Rediculous. Regardless of their "roles" mentioning Hargrave in the same league as Hampton is just disingenuous and a non starter for me. I haven't missed one game between the two of them! Just the fact that Casey was the throttle to one of the best run defenses of all time puts the case to rest immediately.
    That team had a great run defense with or without Casey.
    Did not miss a beat when he was out.

We lost Farrior, Casey, Harrison, and A. Smith all around the same time.
    THAT is why the run defense declined.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-23-2019 at 10:52 PM.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Not a fair comp. You can not compare the success of different linebackers.

What happened when Hoke replaced Casey and was the majority starter, 10 games?
    Same linebackers. THAT is a true comparison.

-Undefeated in the 10 games Casey missed
    -Number one in rush defense
    -Number one in total defense
    -Number one in scoring defense

AND.....Farriors ONLY All Pro season.

In the 6 games with Casey.
    -Had our only loss of the regular season
    -The two games with the most rush yards allowed

It is an undeniable fact that the best stretch of run defense of Casey’s career was in 2004 when Casey was out with injury.
    Wasn’t the only loss of the 2004 season with Maddox at QB?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Wasn’t the only loss of the 2004 season with Maddox at QB?
    Yes, but Tommy had nothing to do with the 172 rushing yards and 30 points (both season high numbers) we gave up that day.

BTW, we have NEVER given up 172 rushing yards in a Hoke start.

My point is not that Hoke is better, just that the significance of fat Casey's being the indispensable key to the success of that defense is silly.

Hoke replaced him with zero ill effects. As he did EVERY GAME HE STARTED in his career.

Again, people act like Casey is why the linebackers had success.
    Yet the ONE TIME Farrior was all pro was the MOST GAMES CASEY MISSED in Farriors Steeler career.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-24-2019 at 10:44 AM.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Yes, but Tommy had nothing to do with the 172 rushing yards and 30 points (both season high numbers) we gave up that day.

BTW, we have NEVER given up 172 rushing yards in a Hoke start.

My point is not that Hoke is better, just that the significance of fat Casey's being the indispensable key to the success of that defense is silly.

Hoke replaced him AS A ROOKIE with zero ill effects. As he did EVERY GAME HE STARTED in his career.

Again, people act like Casey is why the linebackers had success.
    Yet the ONE TIME Farrior was all pro was the MOST GAMES CASEY MISSED in Farriors Steeler career.
    That’s still a silly argument.

We have no idea who was on the field for those big plays vs Baltimore.

We also don’t know if someone missed their assignment or a tackle on those plays or if our D was trying to be too cute early in the season.

My point is no one needs to ever say Casey’s hamptipn wasn’t what he was because of a few starts without him that also went well.

This is like saying the Center who replaced Pouncey was just as good because of our TD stats.

That’s silly talk.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    That’s still a silly argument.

We have no idea who was on the field for those big plays vs Baltimore.

We also don’t know if someone missed their assignment or a tackle on those plays or if our D was trying to be too cute early in the season.

My point is no one needs to ever say Casey’s hamptipn wasn’t what he was because of a few starts without him that also went well.

This is like saying the Center who replaced Pouncey was just as good because of our TD stats.

That’s silly talk.
    17-1 in his career as a starter ain't "a few games" Dizz.

Hokes only loss?
    We gave up 98 TOTAL YARDS to the Raiders whose only touchdowns were not one but TWO pick sixes by Ben.

What is silly is crediting a NT for a run defense that was just as stout without him. People act like the only difference between a team LOADED with elite linebackers and this one with guys like Vince Williams is that Casey was such a beast freeing up everyone.

Fact is when he WASNT THERE we never missed a beat as long as our linebackers were elite.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-24-2019 at 10:45 AM.

Starter

User Info Menu

Yes. It’s silly to credit one person for the bulk of good or bad when it comes to football. Way too many variables involved.