Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Dodged a Bullet....

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    I don't pretend to know what he has done with his money.
    Nice.

Legend

User Info Menu

When Bell scores 20+ TDs in a season, then we can talk about him like he's as talented as Gurley.

Bell's only had more that 10 TDs 2 times. And both were 11 TD seasons.

Heck even James Conner had 13 in his first season despite not even playing in 16 games.

Bell is talented and fun to watch, but not an elite RB. And I'm in agreement that the position is one of the dime a dozen positions.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Players can suffer career threatening/changing injuries at any time. Any player that a team signs to a contract carries risks. Owners and players do what they feel is in their best interest to protect themselves. That's just the nature of the business.

The goal of an organization is to field the best team they possibly can within reason. I really wish Bell and the Steelers could had worked out a deal. Bell made the Steelers a better team.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    When Bell scores 20+ TDs in a season, then we can talk about him like he's as talented as Gurley.

Heck even James Conner had 13 in his first season despite not even playing in 16 games.

Bell is talented and fun to watch, but not an elite RB. And I'm in agreement that the position is one of the dime a dozen positions.
    Bell played like an elite player for the Steelers. The Steelers recognized that and wanted to keep him.

Starter

User Info Menu

One upon a time the Steelers had a GM who had a famous quote in reference to signing Rod Woodson "We're not the Salvation Army." Tom Donahoe. I disagreed with his sentiments because Rod Woodson had a lot of good years left when he left the Steelers. I am not sure what Woodson was looking for in a contract at the time.

Understandly RBs want contracts with large guarantees, because of the quick expiration date for that position and the constant risk of injury. But it really doesn't make business sense to give huge guarantees to RBs when you can get similar or better production from a committee approach. It is very charitable for organizations to do that. Kind of like a donation not to the "Salvation Army" but the "Rich, Spoiled Athlete Fund". But predictably this will prove to be a bad investment. It is already looking like bad investment for the Rams to give Gurley the huge guarantee and I think in a year, the Jets and their fans will think it was bad investment to give Bell that much also.

Legend

User Info Menu

I’m in total agreement with Steelerphile. In a year,The Jets will be in the same boat as the Rams are right now. Remorseful.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post

Bell's versatility made him elite. But James Conner, at a discount of $10 million per season, is very good - and probably actually a better pure runner than Bell - certainly at this stage in his career - and his equal on screen passes. I'll take that minimal dropoff in versatility and the $10 million savings.

I do agree that RB is an easily replaceable position. Elite talent at just about any other position is harder to replace, with a more significant dropoff.

Legend

User Info Menu

If RB's are truly a dime a dozen, do the Steelers just let James Conner walk after the 2020 season rather than paying him a market value deal once his rookie contract expires?

And if data shows that teams with elite wideouts don't tend to win Super Bowls, do the Steelers just let Juju Smith-Schuster walk after the 2020 season rather than paying him a market value deal once his rookie contract expires?

Just curious...
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    If RB's are truly a dime a dozen, do the Steelers just let James Conner walk after the 2020 season rather than paying him a market value deal once his rookie contract expires?

And if data shows that teams with elite wideouts don't tend to win Super Bowls, do the Steelers just let Juju Smith-Schuster walk after the 2020 season rather than paying him a market value deal once his rookie contract expires?

Just curious...
    That seems to be the argument.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Players can suffer career threatening/changing injuries at any time.
    This is true in the abstract, but very seldom happens in reality. Shazier, Priest Holmes, Stingley . . . I know there are others, but its very rare. What happens a bit more often is they miss a year (ACL tear, collarbone), but even that is relatively rare. It's also fully paid.

Bell was more concerned with getting the highest number for an RB (rapping about 17 or whatever). He failed miserably, and lost money he was guaranteed to have with the Steelers, if he had just signed the Steelers crazy offer that NO ONE else even came close to. Now, he languishes on the Jets and tubes what could have been a more lucrative career with a winning organization. He's a fool, no matter what way you analyze this.