Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers Dodged a Bullet....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Thankfully, Bells ginormous ego and greed saved us from our own stupidity as we TRIED HARD to lock him up long term.
    At least we held firm on the guaranteed dough he wanted, EXACT THING that put the Rams in a bind.

BTW, THIS IS WHY Bell wanted the guaranteed money.....because he knows this can happen. It in a weird way gives credence to his manipulation of the system and ensures he has no regrets no matter how bad the Jets are. I bag on his greed but on some level it is not as dumb as people think.

Bell want to ensure he gets paid in this scenario, Steelers want to be off the hook to be able to use cap dollar elsewhere to remain competitive.

Both parties had conflicting interests, Bell knew some other stupid team would give him more “guaranteed” money, even if it is a little less overall.

As a fan my interest are with the team, but the Gurley outcome gives credence to the stand taken by both parties.
    I agree Bell's holdout does not look dumb as people were trying to make it out to be. Also the player has a lot more to lose than the team, the team might have to endure a year or two of dead money due to a bad contract but eventually they get their cap space back. The player if he signs a bad contract and gets hurt he can never get that money back.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    I agree Bell's holdout does not look dumb as people were trying to make it out to be. Also the player has a lot more to lose than the team, the team might have to endure a year or two of dead money due to a bad contract but eventually they get their cap space back. The player if he signs a bad contract and gets hurt he can never get that money back.
    and Bell will be needing all that guaranted money at the rate he is pissing it away on GFs and jewelry.....

"A Fool and his money are soon parted" - Thomas Tusser

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    and Bell will be needing all that guaranted money at the rate he is pissing it away on GFs and jewelry.....

"A Fool and his money are soon parted" - Thomas Tusser
    I don't pretend to know what he has done with his money.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Actually, according to my philosophy, I would have given him his money as long as he stayed healthy (large salary, not high guaranteed money) like the Steelers offered Bell. You can pay the man as long as he produces, but you need the ability to let him go when that comes to an end.
    And the last time paying big bucks to a runningback resulted in an actual championship.....it was MARSHALL FAULK TWENTY YEARS AGO.

Fast Willie has more rings than HOFer Faulk.

NEVER spend big on a running back
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-09-2019 at 10:07 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    My goodness
    You people are obsessed over LB like you're his ex GF.

Everyone knows RBs are a dime a dozen and high risks.
    Boom...........
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

However based on that philosophy you WOULD HAVE given Gurley his money.....a now proven mistake.
    As someone else said RBs are in fact easily replaceable and not the key cog in a championship in todays NFL.
    It is simply foolish to allocate elite dough to the position PERIOD.

Bells underused Backup Blount has lead the SB in rushing THRICE on TWO teams. Heck give me cheap production.....I dont even need you to "stay clean".
    I was that “ someone”. Lol. Our running game this coming season will put this remaining Bell chatter to rest.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    My goodness
    You people are obsessed over LB like you're his ex GF.

Everyone knows RBs are a dime a dozen and high risks.
    On the bright side his ex’s got away with a half a mil in jewelry. So someone here need to share with the rest of the group

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    On the bright side his ex’s got away with a half a mil in jewelry. So someone here need to share with the rest of the group
    They left his weed stash alone though.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

And the last time paying big bucks to a runningback resulted in an actual championship.....it was MARSHALL FAULK TWENTY YEARS AGO.

Fast Willie has more rings than HOFer Faulk.

NEVER spend big on a running back
    And if you do spend big money, do all you can to limit the term.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I was that “ someone”. Lol. Our running game this coming season will put this remaining Bell chatter to rest.
    What remaining Bell chatter?