Thread: Alejandro Villanueva earns MBA from Carnegie Mellon

Legend

User Info Menu

Alejandro Villanueva earns MBA from Carnegie Mellon

Alejandro Villanueva earns MBA from Carnegie Mellon
    By Charean Williams | Jun 7, 2019, 6:35 PM EDT

Alejandro Villanueva thought he was in the Not For Long league. He was about to turn 27, had never played a regular-season game and had moved to the offensive line from defensive tackle.

So Villanueva, a former Army Ranger with three tours of duty in Afghanistan, enrolled in the Tepper School of Business’ part-time, on-campus MBA program in the fall of 2015.

“I never thought I was going to make it in the NFL. The odds in the NFL to make it aren’t very good,” Villanueva said, via Mark Kaboly of TheAthletic.com. “I felt that the reason why I was here was so I could afford to go to business school.”

He attended three hours of evening classes at Carnegie Mellon’s Pittsburgh campus twice a week. It took him four years to earn his degree, one more year than most students need, but Villanueva graduated last week with his Master’s.

In between, he earned the Steelers’ starting left tackle job, made over $15 million, went to two Pro Bowls and started a family.

“It was a little crazy, but it all becomes normalized,” Villanueva said. “One of the biggest things I learned at West Point was time management. They are always going to put more on your plate than what you can handle.”

Now that he doesn’t need a fallback plan, Villanueva has one. He now is considering going to technical school to learn how to build engines.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

This is why I have zero sympathy for athletes who complain. AV had it tougher in college, AV had it tougher in the Army/Afghanistan and AV took on a life challenge while playing in the NFL. He succeeded at all the above and didn't complain or play the victim.

AV took charge of his life and committed to succeeding. One of my all time favorite Steelers not because of the football player he is, but because of the man he is who happens to play football.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    This is why I have zero sympathy for athletes who complain. AV had it tougher in college, AV had it tougher in the Army/Afghanistan and AV took on a life challenge while playing in the NFL. He succeeded at all the above and didn't complain or play the victim.

AV took charge of his life and committed to succeeding. One of my all time favorite Steelers not because of the football player he is, but because of the man he is who happens to play football.
    Amen...Hard NOT to cheer for a guy like that.....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

AV seems to be the one Steeler player that fans of other teams hold in high regard which is a testament to the man himself.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm so tired about these entitled, thug athletes who are always running around getting into trouble.

I didn't actually read the article but I just assumed......

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    AV seems to be the one Steeler player that fans of other teams hold in high regard which is a testament to the man himself.
    Doubt the kneelers could give a ****.....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Great man. Which is much more important than how good he might be at football.

Legend

User Info Menu

MBA from CMU... my alma mater.
    It's a tough school.

Talk about doing it the hard way..when he could have gotten an online degree.

Huge respect for AV.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    MBA from CMU... my alma mater.
    It's a tough school.

Talk about doing it the hard way..when he could have gotten an online degree.

Huge respect for AV.
    Not sure I could ever do an online degree and feel like I got a quality education.
    Prove me Wrong??
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!