Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Browns Drama

Legend

User Info Menu

Trenches May Give Pittsburgh Edge Over Cleveland In AFC North Race
    ByAlex Kozora Posted on June 6, 2019 at 8:30 am

Everyone is jumping on the Cleveland Browns bandwagon. And hey, for good reason. I’m not here to crack jokes about how bad they’ve been, their lovable loser attitude and the Factory of Sadness they built for so long. They’re one of the league’s most improved teams with more reason for optimism since…I can’t even remember when. Maybe the prime Derek Anderson days but even then, it felt like a wolf in sheep’s clothing, success that couldn’t – and didn’t – last.

But it’s not a perfect roster. Hard to blame John Dorsey for that. He had to come in and build from the ground up. Find a QB. Trade for receivers. Revamp the secondary, collect running backs by the dozen. The one area of the team still lacking is a biggie. The Browns’ offensive line is arguably the weakest position group they have. And most teams are successful building inside out.

Here’s how their offensive line is likely to look:

LT – Greg Robinson
    LG – Joel Bitonio
    C – JC Tretter
    RG – Austin Corbett
    RT – Chris Hubbard

Don’t get me wrong. That’s not terrible. Cleveland has surely fielded worse. Robinson was a pleasant surprise as he attempts to revitalize his career, Bitonio is good without the need to grade on a curve, and Steelers’ fans know the value Hubbard brought to the black and gold.

But at best, it’s an average group with serious concerns. Is Robinson the real deal? Tretter has always looked overmatched at center and Corbett has had trouble cracking the starting lineup, playing 14 snaps as a rookie and spending part of OTAs running with the 2’s. Hubbard is very much at his ceiling, too.

If there’s a downfall of this Browns’ team, it’s the North. Now compare that to Pittsburgh.

The line is their strength. At least four of the five starters return from last year and should Matt Feiler win the RT job, it’ll effectively be all five. There’s excellent depth, something Cleveland arguably doesn’t have, thanks to a constant reinvestment in the offensive line, even when it wasn’t a dire need. If any of the Steelers’ starting five goes down, it won’t be met with jubilation, but you feel the team can survive. Same happens to the Browns? Might want to buckle up.

Look what happened to Cincinnati. How did they tumble from North champs to chilling in the basement? Partly because Andy Dalton has convinced Mike Brown he’s still the answer, sure, but it correlated with their offensive line woes. They whiffed on draft picks (hello Jake Fisher and Cedric Ogbuehi) then foolishly let Kevin Zeitler and Andrew Whitworth leave in free agency. Whitworth went on to sign with the Rams and go to his first Super Bowl.

Cleveland and Pittsburgh are going to be able to move the ball. Both teams are going to get after the quarterback. And I can’t wait to watch these two teams go out, a real rivalry for the first time in a long time. But good teams have to protect their quarterback. For Cleveland, that’s a concern. And it might cost them the division.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/tr...fc-north-race/
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Not Worried About Facing Browns, Odell Beckham

By Opeyemi Daramola On Jul 17, 2019

The Cleveland Browns added an elite wide receiver talent this offseason when general manager John Dorsey decided to pull the trigger on a deal to land Odell Beckham Jr. from the New York Giants, shifting the power in the AFC North.

However, Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin doesn’t sound too worried about having to face OBJ and the high-powered Browns offense twice a season going forward.

“We see great players week in and week out. We have seen him before,” Tomlin told ESPN. “We have respect for his talent and the talents of everyone they have acquired. But it doesn’t change our agenda or focus.”

Beckham has faced the Steelers once in his career, collecting 10 catches on 16 targets for 100 yards in a 24-14 loss in 2016.

Beckham will likely be matched up with a former Brown in Joe Haden when the AFC North rivals go head to head. Haden spoke on the matchup earlier this offseason while attending a celebrity softball game in Cleveland.

https://360ng.com.ng/steelers-not-wo...odell-beckham/

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Beckham has faced the Steelers once in his career, collecting 10 catches on 16 targets for 100 yards in a 24-14 loss in 2016.
    The only words in that sentence that matter to me whatsoever are "in a loss."

Any other numbers are totally irrelevant to me.

He can have 20 catches for 200 yards in a loss against us and I'm happy.

Much better than if we held him to 2 catches for 9 yards in a victory over us.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I would argue AJ Green is a better WR than OBJ.... And the Steelers had no problem shutting him down twice a season for the most part.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I would argue AJ Green is a better WR than OBJ.... And the Steelers had no problem shutting him down twice a season for the most part.
    Don’t sell those Browns short; Mayfield is a better qb ( I think ) then Dalton and Mayfield has a ton of weapons so you can’t just focus on OBJ. Meaning you may not be able to just clamp on obj the way you want.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Andy Dalton is supremely average and isn’t willing to take chances. He’s the type of guy to throw it 8 yards on 4th in 15 on the final possession of a must win game. Dude just lacks that killer instinct.

Mayfield is going to take chances which could pay off but he also has no problem throwing to the other team.

I’m looking forward to seeing how good this Brown team actually is once the games start. On paper they are impressive but I still think they made a mistake hiring the OC as the HC after Gregg Williams put together an impressive run last year as the interim. Anyone else would’ve kept him as the HC but the Browns are the Browns for a reason.

Legend

User Info Menu

If you listen to the hype, the Steelers may as well start planning for the offseason and next draft because they don't have a chance against this vaunted Browns offense.

Legend

User Info Menu

I am not sold yet on BM. Keep in mind there late season record was largely due to playing the bottom half of the league.
    I understand they are trying to rev up the fan base for the FoS, but that will only make the pain worse when reality hits.

Legend

User Info Menu

I am not sold yet on BM.
    How great is it that the Cleveland Brownstains have a QB with the initials B.M.? Classic...
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

If you listen to the hype, the Steelers may as well start planning for the offseason and next draft because they don't have a chance against this vaunted Browns offense.
    I agree; a first time head coach; a volatile lead WR; a firebrand QB. A lot of ingredients but no guarantee by any stretch that they'll pan out.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN