Thread: Browns Drama

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Browns Drama

Seems the media darling Browns are not immune to drama:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/b...-or-youre-not/

From a talent standpoint, the Cleveland Browns don't just have the look of a playoff team. They also appear to be worthy of Super Bowl consideration. The biggest question that remains is, can the Browns deal with expectations for the first time in what feels like forever without combusting internally?

We won't know the answer to that question until the season starts in September, but there already could be some turmoil brewing in Cleveland. It turns out, second-year quarterback Baker Mayfield doesn't sound happy about the trade request that running back Duke Johnson initially made earlier this offseason and maintained at mandatory minicamp on Tuesday.

"You're either on this train or you're not," Mayfield said, per Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot.

When he was asked if the situation has led to any form of awkwardness, Mayfield shook his head and said, "It's self-inflicted. It is what it is. It's not awkward for anyone else in this building."

He was then asked if he supported Johnson as a teammate. Mayfield responded, "He's gotta do his job. He said he's a professional. I hope he does his job."
    To this point in his career, Johnson has done exactly that. While Johnson skipped voluntary OTAs (like Odell Beckham), he did show up for mandatory minicamp on Tuesday. He's also been a productive player throughout his career. While he's never operated as the team's feature back, he has averaged 864 yards from scrimmage per season since he entered the league in 2015.
    Duke Johnson ranks:

#2 in yards/play (5.
    #3 in explosiveness
    #7 in success rate (52%)

of 62 RBs on early down rushes+targets past 3 yrs.

Playing the NFL's most-injury prone position last 4 yrs, he:
    -NEVER missed a game
    -Listed as questionable only 2x

In addition to drafting RB1 Nick Chubb last year, the Browns also signed Kareem Hunt in February after the Chiefs cut him in the aftermath of the release of a disturbing video that depicted Hunt shoving and kicking a woman. Hunt has been suspended for eight games, but figures to take on a prominent role in the Browns' backfield once he's eligible to return, which would limit Johnson's touches from that point on.
    The Browns, though, have maintained all along they have no interest in trading Johnson. They did so again on Tuesday.
    "He wants to be traded. I want to win the lottery. It doesn't matter," said Browns coach Freddie Kitchens, per NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala. "He's under contract. He's a Cleveland Brown. He's going to be used to the best of his ability in what benefits the team."
    Given Hunt's suspension, their stance makes sense. If anything, they could look to move Johnson before the trade deadline when Hunt is nearing a return. They could also just decide to keep him all season long as a luxury player and depth behind Chubb and Hunt.
    But it's also understandable why Johnson wants out. He already saw his touches decrease last season. In 2017, Johnson turned 156 touches into 1,041 yards and seven touchdowns -- the best output of his career. But this past season, he garnered only 87 touches, which he turned into 630 yards and three touchdowns. He actually averaged more yards per touch in 2018 than he did in 2017 (7.2 compared to 6.7), but he just didn't get enough opportunities. He's probably craving a situation that would result in an substantial uptick in his usage.
    As for Mayfield's reaction, it's understandable from the sense that he doesn't want to be worrying about any unnecessary distractions as the team tries to break their playoff drought. But it was still a little surprising to see him bypass the chance to support his teammate the way Browns receiver Jarvis Landry did when he was asked to comment on the Johnson situation.
    "I hope he understands and feels that guys are here for him," Landry said. "Whether he is here or not, that the relationship goes beyond the player, obviously the person as well. I definitely hope he understands that and knows that there are guys that are here for him."

Legend

User Info Menu

I like Duke. Not a place for him on our squad, it would appear, but if we had a need, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I like Duke. Not a place for him on our squad, it would appear, but if we had a need, I'd take him in a heartbeat.
    Given Kareem Hunt's eight-game suspension to start the season, it makes sense for the Brownies to hold on to Johnson as depth behind Nick Chubb.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Given Kareem Hunt's eight-game suspension to start the season, it makes sense for the Brownies to hold on to Johnson as depth behind Nick Chubb.
    Totally; I think he’ll be happier as he’s used often at the beginning of the season

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    You would take a guy who tried to force his way off a team due to competition?

He sounds like a cancer.

Yes, that’s sarcasm.

Legend

User Info Menu

FAKE NEWS!!! We all know that only the Steelers have a culture issue. Only the Steelers have a terrible head coach. Only the Steelers have a climate where players don't act like programmed robots.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    FAKE NEWS!!! We all know that only the Steelers have a culture issue. Only the Steelers have a terrible head coach. Only the Steelers have a climate where players don't act like programmed robots.
    Said no one, ever (until now)! Clearly the clowns have been a laughing stock of the league for a very long time.

Legend

User Info Menu

Maybe it's time for Duke to ask AB to borrow some of his left over clown makeup.

After the way AB forced a trade to get paid, I think the flood gates could open for guys to act insane to get traded.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Maybe it's time for Duke to ask AB to borrow some of his left over clown makeup.

After the way AB forced a trade to get paid, I think the flood gates could open for guys to act insane to get traded.
    While I agree, that tactic only works for an elite player. I don't think many others will be able to write the same script.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Was always a Johnson fan, But I wouldn't want him now...Not because he's wanting a trade, It's because we drafted Snell...

IF...He came here, With Conner, Samuels, and Snell...If he wants to act selfish...Our situation would be even worse for him...imo