Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 35 of 35

Thread: Is Artie Burns’ time in Pittsburgh coming to an end?

  1. #31
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Why wouldn’t he go up against the same players as everyone else?

    Gotta evaluate somehow.
    At camp n in pre-season you don't always battle players who play on Sundays. One vs ones , two vs two's u know. So if he's getting back end reps n or playing late in pre-season games he's not matching up against all guys who will play on Sundays. If he makes it to camp I'll watch him close.

  2. #32
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    STEVE MARSHALL FROM ENFIELD, CT: I might be in the minority on this, but I'm truly rooting for Artie Burns. His raw skills, size, and speed are there, and off the field, his family values are humbling. I hope he can get his confidence back, sharpen his technique, and be a big producer for our defense. In your years of covering football, do you have any examples of players who regressed in their play and then came back and excelled?

    ANSWER: Ike Taylor is a good comparison, and he played the same cornerback position. A fourth-round pick in the 2003 NFL Draft, Taylor was a full-time starter for the first time in 2005, and after posting 20 passes defensed during the regular season he had two interceptions in the playoffs – one in the AFC Championship Game in Denver and one in Super Bowl XL vs. Seattle. Then in 2006, the Steelers signed him to a $22.5 million contract extension that included a $6.4 million signing bonus.
    Two months later, Coach Bill Cowher benched Taylor, with the final straw being a 31-20 loss to Denver in early November during which Broncos receiver Javon Walker caught six passes for 134 yards and two touchdowns, and Taylor missed a tackle on Walker’s 72-yard run on a reverse for a third touchdown. When Mike Tomlin was hired the following January, Taylor got a chance to bounce back from that benching, and he responded with a four-year stretch (2007-10) in which he played some of his best football and helped the Steelers advance to the Super Bowl following both the 2008 and 2010 seasons.

    https://www.steelers.com/news/asked-...swered-june-18

  3. #33
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    STEVE MARSHALL FROM ENFIELD, CT: I might be in the minority on this, but I'm truly rooting for Artie Burns. His raw skills, size, and speed are there, and off the field, his family values are humbling. I hope he can get his confidence back, sharpen his technique, and be a big producer for our defense. In your years of covering football, do you have any examples of players who regressed in their play and then came back and excelled?

    ANSWER: Ike Taylor is a good comparison, and he played the same cornerback position. A fourth-round pick in the 2003 NFL Draft, Taylor was a full-time starter for the first time in 2005, and after posting 20 passes defensed during the regular season he had two interceptions in the playoffs – one in the AFC Championship Game in Denver and one in Super Bowl XL vs. Seattle. Then in 2006, the Steelers signed him to a $22.5 million contract extension that included a $6.4 million signing bonus.
    Two months later, Coach Bill Cowher benched Taylor, with the final straw being a 31-20 loss to Denver in early November during which Broncos receiver Javon Walker caught six passes for 134 yards and two touchdowns, and Taylor missed a tackle on Walker’s 72-yard run on a reverse for a third touchdown. When Mike Tomlin was hired the following January, Taylor got a chance to bounce back from that benching, and he responded with a four-year stretch (2007-10) in which he played some of his best football and helped the Steelers advance to the Super Bowl following both the 2008 and 2010 seasons.

    https://www.steelers.com/news/asked-...swered-june-18
    I've said for the last year that Ike Taylor is why you don't give up too quickly on Burns. Its not like there are multiple future All Pros pushing him off the roster. Fan frustration is not a reason to give up on a player who clearly has the physical skills

  4. #34
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    At camp n in pre-season you don't always battle players who play on Sundays. One vs ones , two vs two's u know. So if he's getting back end reps n or playing late in pre-season games he's not matching up against all guys who will play on Sundays. If he makes it to camp I'll watch him close.
    I think he will have a chance to show if he still has something left.

    He should dominate against lesser competition and make a few splash plays in preseason.

    I see no reason to cut him. That’s just fam bitterness at this point.

    Too many injuries in football to cut a player like Burns who is still cheap.

  5. #35
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    I think he will have a chance to show if he still has something left.

    He should dominate against lesser competition and make a few splash plays in preseason.

    I see no reason to cut him. That’s just fam bitterness at this point.

    Too many injuries in football to cut a player like Burns who is still cheap.
    Good points. All good points. He'll likely get his chance and I would like to see him impress against some camp guys n in the pre-season. I don't think any of us are looking for him to fail. We're a better team if he can turn it around n play at a decent level.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •