Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Artie Burns’ time in Pittsburgh coming to an end?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I don't think we'll cut him this year.

I can't remember the last time we cut a 1st round pick before his contact was up. I don't think we'll start now.

He's shown that he can play (low end starter), and that's worth something if someone gets hurt.

I think we keep him this year unless someone shows they can play and we can trade him.

Otherwise, I think we hold onto him this year and let him walk when his contract is up.
    I agree. He’s not expensive and players get hurt all the time.

I think we keep him as insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

If the Steelers can ditch Burns to somebody who seems him as a possible reclamation project and get something of value in return - a third TE, a backup safety, or a 6th round pick - I'd take it in a heartbeat. But I suspect the Steelers will probably need to pay him the roster bonus to get that opportunity.

Legend

User Info Menu

Cornerback - So, we're to understand that Burns will be cut soon to avoid an $800,000 roster bonus? Um, I don't see that happening. This team has no other experienced vet at the position. Justin Layne is a rookie, and right where they want him, No. 4 and learning. I haven't seen Cam Sutton working outside at all. Brian Allen needs to show in preseason games. Burns would have to be atrocious in preseason games to move Sutton back outside, but by then the Steelers will have already paid Burns the bonus.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...elf-132903958/

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Cornerback - So, we're to understand that Burns will be cut soon to avoid an $800,000 roster bonus? Um, I don't see that happening. This team has no other experienced vet at the position. Justin Layne is a rookie, and right where they want him, No. 4 and learning. I haven't seen Cam Sutton working outside at all. Brian Allen needs to show in preseason games. Burns would have to be atrocious in preseason games to move Sutton back outside, but by then the Steelers will have already paid Burns the bonus.

800K isn’t a lot of money for a football team. People are posting like it’s 8mill.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post

I heard nothing negative out of camp regarding Burns. The silence speaks volumes because you know he was a target going in for the media. I don't see him being cut to save $800K

Legend

User Info Menu

Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

Asked about Artie Burns putting in extra work after a down year, coach Mike Tomlin said Burns understands the ‘urgency of his circumstance' and is acting appropriately.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

Asked about Artie Burns putting in extra work after a down year, coach Mike Tomlin said Burns understands the ‘urgency of his circumstance' and is acting appropriately.
    In the end it may not be an effort problem. Sometimes there are guys that can't handle it when the lights come on.

They call it test anxiety and it's a real thing. Hope for his sake he can overcome.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    In the end it may not be an effort problem. Sometimes there are guys that can't handle it when the lights come on.

They call it test anxiety and it's a real thing. Hope for his sake he can overcome.
    Yup. It’s like after his rookie season he got the yips.

Could also call it imposter syndrome. Some guess let the doubt creep in and next thing you know it’s camping out long term.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I heard nothing negative out of camp regarding Burns. The silence speaks volumes because you know he was a target going in for the media. I don't see him being cut to save $800K
    The OTA's n mini camp are more walk throughs and drills then anything else. So for a cb we're not going to get much of a look see on how he is performing. Camp n preseason is needed to get a better look. Even then who is he going up against ? Someone who is not making a teams 53.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    The OTA's n mini camp are more walk throughs and drills then anything else. So for a cb we're not going to get much of a look see on how he is performing. Camp n preseason is needed to get a better look. Even then who is he going up against ? Someone who is not making a teams 53.
    Why wouldn’t he go up against the same players as everyone else?

Gotta evaluate somehow.