Thread: 4 players jockeying for Steelers’ starting right tackle job

Legend

User Info Menu

4 players jockeying for Steelers’ starting right tackle job

4 players jockeying for Steelers’ starting right tackle job

CHRIS ADAMSKI | Monday, June 3, 2019
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW

How much continuity has the Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line had? And just how rare is that?

Put it this way: Putting aside temporary injury- (or suspension-) related fill-ins, the starting five this season will undergo its first change since the middle of the 2015 season. Across the rest of the team, there are only four players who can reasonably be said to have held on to starting jobs throughout that span (Ben Roethlisberger, Cameron Heyward, Stephon Tuitt, Bud Dupree).

So when someone other than Marcus Gilbert gets first-team practice reps at right tackle and starts the season opener in September, rest assured, it will be somewhat jarring to the Steelers.

“I love Gil,” said center Maurkice Pouncey, Gilbert’s Steelers teammate for eight seasons. “That’s my guy. I hate that (a trade of Gilbert to Arizona) happened.”

Fortunately for the Steelers, though, the decision to trade Gilbert was an easy one — and not just to shed a salary-cap hit of roughly $5 million. It’s because the Steelers have no shortage of quality, deserving candidates to replace Gilbert.

“They bring in the right type of guys,” Pouncey said. “The guys who like to work, like to work on their craft.”

The starting right tackle spot is one of the few position battles of any type for the Steelers over the summer and into training camp; it’s certainly the lone all-or-nothing competition that needs to be decided before the Sept. 8 season opener.

And there are at least four potential contenders: Matt Feiler, Chuks Okorafor, Jerald Hawkins, Zach Banner. Feiler is the incumbent after having a virtual “interim” tag attached to his claim to the gig for 10 games last season.

Okorafor was drafted specifically to fill a future opening at tackle when the Steelers took him in the third round last year.

Hawkins combines a degree of reasonable pedigree (three-year starter at LSU, NFL fourth-round pick in 2016) and experience in the organization. But he has just one NFL start and missed two full seasons because of injury.

The 6-foot-8 Banner is the longest shot of this quartet. But the Steelers clearly are intrigued by him, as evidenced by keeping him on the 53-man roster all of last season.

“Guys are competing,” Pouncey said. “When you have competition with (Feiler), Chuks, Hawkins and Banner, it brings the best out of you. We’ll see whenever camp comes.”

What we’ve seen so far is Feiler getting first-team reps, which is not unexpected after he performed admirably (Pro Football Focus rated him “above average”) in his first full-time NFL action last season.

It has been a long road to that point for Feiler, an undrafted Bloomsburg alumnus who spent three full seasons on NFL practice squads and one mostly as a Sunday inactive before his breakthrough last season. As such, he insists he’s not changing his approach now that he has starting NFL experience.

“Not really. There’s always preparation to be done, and ways to get better and I have got to keep doing the same thing I’ve been doing because to me I feel like it’s been working for me,” Feiler said after an organized team activity session last week. “So it’s an ‘If it’s not broken, don’t fix it’ mentality.”

Okorafor might be whom the Steelers are privately rooting for because he might have the highest upside. A small-school product (Western Michigan) who took up football relatively later in life, Okorafor said Year 2 in the NFL “is so much more smoother for me.”

“It feels different,” Okorafor added. “Now, you’re accustomed to how everything is going to go, in meetings and in practice. How the guys are working and how practice goes, things like that.”

Of all four of the candidates, the stakes perhaps are lowest for Okorafor. His roster spot is probably safe regardless; the same likely cannot be said for Hawkins and Banner. And at 27 next month and scheduled to be a restricted free agent in the spring, Feiler could see his career take off if he holds onto the gig.

“Everyone wants to be the starter,” Okorafor said. “But among us, it doesn’t matter. We all want to play, but me, Zach, Matt, Hawk, we all support each other.”

https://triblive.com/sports/quartet-...sition-battle/

Legend

User Info Menu

Love the " big picture " mentality that everyone is saying.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Feiler Hoping Overall Footwork, Hand Usage Improvement Leads To Retainment Of Starting Spot

By Dave Bryan
    Posted on June 5, 2019

After losing starting right tackle Marcus Gilbert to a lower leg injury early last season, the Pittsburgh Steelers turned to former undrafted free agent Matt Feiler and the Bloomsburg University product went on to start 10 games in total. Feiler represented himself well overall as the team’s starting right tackle in the roughly 675 total offensive snaps that he played and with Gilbert no longer on the team, he reportedly opened of this year’s offseason practices as a starter. During an interview last week on Steelers Nation Radio, Feiler was asked about how it feels to have opened up OTAs as the team’s starting right tackle.

“Oh, it sounds good, but there’s still a lot of work to be done and, you know, always looking to get better and do whatever I can to help out the team,” Feiler said.

Despite is strong showing last season at right tackle, Feler, who was re-signed this past offseason to a one-year contract as an exclusive rights free agent, knows he has a lot of room from improvement and he noted one specific area of his game that he’s been focusing on since the 2018 season ended.

“I think just my footwork overall in the run and pass game,” Feiler said. “You know, just get my feet on the ground and keep them on the ground and keep them moving. You know, that’s always something that offensive linemen especially can work on.”

While Feiler’s overall strength has been an asset to him as an offensive lineman so far during his NFL career, he also recognizes that better hand usage moving forward will also help him become a better overall player.

“That’s something that I’ve been working on is my hands and just the placement and the speed that I’m trying to throw them out there,” Feiler said. “You know, it’s something that’s starting to come together a little bit.”

Feiler’s overall position flexibility is likely one reason why he was originally able to stick with the Steelers since he was originally signed to the team’s practice squad in September 2015. In fact, last year during the preseason, Feiler played 108 total snaps at left guard and 25 more at center. That’s right, none of his preseason snaps came at tackle. Because of all the playing time he’s previously seen at guard, Feiler was asked last week if he has a natural affinity for either that position or tackle.

“You know, I don’t know,” Feiler told Craig Wolfley. “If you asked me last year, I would have definitely said guard, but it’s something that, I mean, as you get more time at the position, you know, I don’t prefer one over the other.”

While Feiler did open this year’s OTAs as the team’s starting right tackle, there’s no guarantee he’ll hold that spot on the depth chart throughout the summer as he figures to face a tough challenge from two of the team’s former draft picks, tackles Chukwuma Okorafor, a rookie last season who started one game, and Jerald Hawkins, who spent all of last season on the Reserve/Injured list with a quadriceps injury. During his interview last week, Feiler was asked about the progress that Okorafor and Hawkins have both made so far this offseason starting with the former.

“He’s young, you know, but he’s learning very quickly and, you know, he’s doing a good job,” Feiler said of Okorafor, who was selected by the Steelers in the third-round of the 2018 NFL Draft. “He’s athletic, he’s big, so yeah, I mean, he’s putting in a lot of work and it’s showing.”

Feiler was then quickly asked to comment on what he’s seen out of Hawkins, who was selected in the fourth-round of the 2016 NFL Draft, so far this offseason as he battles back from yet another injury.

“Hawk, he’s coming off the injury from last year, but, you know, he looks like he’s getting stronger and stronger every day and he’s looking good,” Feiler said.

We’ll now sit and wait and see how the battle for the Steelers starting right job for the start of the 2019 regular season ultimately plays and if Feiler can ultimately keep the spot all summer. If for some reason Feiler doesn’t wind up holding on to the starting job, he still figures to make the 53-man roster once again as a backup and a backup at more than one position. He certainly was a great find by the Steelers several years ago.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/fe...starting-spot/

Legend

User Info Menu

2019 Stock Watch – T Jerald Hawkins – Stock Up

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on June 6, 2019

Now that the 2019 NFL Draft is underway, and the roster heading into the offseason is close to finalized—though always fluid—it’s time to take stock of where the Pittsburgh Steelers stand. Specifically where Steelers players stand individually based on what we have seen happen over the course of the past few months.

A stock evaluation can take a couple of different approaches and I’ll try to make clear my reasonings. In some cases it will be based on more long-term trends, such as an accumulation of offseason activity. In other instances it will be a direct response to something that just happened. So we can see a player more than once over the course of the summer as we head toward training camp.

Player: T Jerald Hawkins

Stock Value: Up

While we already know that Matt Feiler has been working with the first-team offense, and we can probably assume that Chukwuma Okorafor has been the next man up, there have been positive reports about all of the young tackles on the roster.

Hawkins probably is the longest shot in the mix to win the starting job. But the reality is that he is a fourth-year player who has spent two of his first three seasons on injured reserve, and has missed so much time that he might even count his blessings for still having a job, which will again be at risk this summer even as he competes for a starting job.

But according to his peers, Hawkins has seemingly been looking better, and more confident, and stronger, every day of practice. For a player coming off of a serious injury, even if it was a year ago, you can’t ask for more than incremental daily progress once you get yourself going again.

That’s the first step. He has a handful of more practices to get his sea legs back before the break and then the real competition starts at training camp. The real question will be what sort of percentage of the first-team snaps he is going to get.

Mike Tomlin did name Feiler, Okorafor, and Hawkins all together as the players who would be in competition to start at the right tackle position that was vacated when the Steelers traded Marcus Gilbert to the Arizona Cardinals, but it feels as though he will have to fight for the scraps.

After all, the other two players have had starting experience already, and without the injury history that Hawkins does. But if he can show that he is getting back to where he left off before the injury, that would go a long way toward making himself a very serious candidate for the job later this summer.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/20...kins-stock-up/

Legend

User Info Menu

Chuks Okorafor losing in hopes of gaining a starting spot on the Steelers’ line in 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers second year offensive lineman has slimmed down in hopes of separating himself from his competition.

By Jeff.Hartman@BnGBlitz Jun 6, 2019

The starting right tackle spot on the Pittsburgh Steelers’ offensive line is up for grabs. When you think about it, it has been a long time since there has even been a battle to be had along the formidable front that protects Ben Roethlisberger and opens holes for James Conner.

But with the trade of Marcus Gilbert to the Arizona Cardinals for a 6th round draft pick, there is now a starting position up for grabs. Who will win it? It is between Matt Feiler, Chukwuma Okorafor and Jerald Hawkins.

Feiler might be the leader in the clubhouse, considering he started in Gilbert’s stead last season, but Okorafor has come into the Steelers’ Organized Team Activities (OTAs) with a new look. In other words, he has lost some weight.

“I’m down a little bit,” Okorafor told Chris Adamski of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, “so I feel a little bit more fast.”

According to Adamski, Okorafor didn’t divulge how much weight he lost, but wanted to drop around 10-15 pounds before the start of the season. Why did he lose weight?

“Just wanted to get a little quicker,” Okorafor said.

Feiler enters this competition with 10 starts under his belt, and Okorafor has one start under his belt from 2018. While the true competition won’t begin until training camp in late July, Okorafor has been practicing at both left and right tackle throughout OTAs. While Okorafor doesn’t have as much starting experience as Feiler, he does have experience as an extra tight end in heavy packages to help as a run blocker. Who wins this battle is anyone’s guess, but Okorafor seems determined to put his best foot forward in the competition.

The underlying theme throughout this competition will be the ultimate quality of the competition. Feiler proved to be a solid backup, but will he keep that standard as a starter? Okorafor doesn’t have much experience, is he ready for the huge step as a starting right tackle? Jerald Hawkins is the wild card in this whole scenario, and no one outside of the organization can really say how he will play after missing the entire 2018 season with a torn quadriceps.

This camp battle will definitely be one to keep an eye on.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...-2019-nfl-news

Legend

User Info Menu

It seems to be an odd decision for him to drop weight while competing for a starting RT spot.

He said that he wanted to get a little quicker, but it's typically the LT who faces off against the opponents' best speed rushers and must be able to move adequately to prevent them from turning the corner.

However, the RT is typically a bit beefier than the LT, to be more of a road grader in the run game as well.

We'll see how this ultimately works out for the kid...
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Maybe he dropped some fat but added more muscle. That would serve him well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ramon Foster On Matt Feiler’s Ascent: ‘It Reminds Me Of My Process’

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on June 10, 2019

The transformation of the Pittsburgh Steelers’ offensive line began in earnest in 2010 when they used a first-round selection on center Maurkice Pouncey, who would immediately usurp the struggling veteran, Justin Hartwig. Investment in the position continued to drive their thoughts, adding right tackle Marcus Gilbert in the second round in 2011, then right guard David DeCastro a year later.

The investment was also made in Mike Adams in the second round that year. While he faltered, seventh-round pick Kelvin Beachum, instead, emerged as their left tackle, until he parted in free agency. He was replaced by Alejandro Villanueva, a former college free agent, and he lines up next to the most veteran player on the line at left guard, Ramon Foster: another former college free agent.

Soon, the Steelers’ starting offensive line may consist of a pair of All-Pro first-round picks in the middle paired with three great stories in college free agents, if third-year Matt Feiler wins the right tackle job after Gilbert was traded earlier this offseason.

Feiler was originally signed by the Houston Texans, and spent 2014—yes, 2014—on their practice squad before the Steelers added him a year later. He would spend the next two years on their practice squad, ultimately losing future eligibility, before finally making the team in 2017. He started the season finale that year at right guard and then started 10 games at right tackle in 2018.

In many ways, Feiler’s journey reminds Foster of his, though it took longer for the former’s to get going—perhaps in part because the Steelers’ offensive line is much deeper than it was a decade ago.

“It reminds me of my process”, Foster told Jacob Klinger during OTAs. “It reminds me of a guy that, if he continues to work hard, certain stuff will come his way. And this is just one of them”.

Foster originally signed with the Steelers out of Tennessee in 2009. He made the 53-man roster on his first try, and for years, he would earn the occasional spot start as injuries arose. He would not secure a full-time starting job for himself until his fifth season in 2013. He started every game in 2012, but that was after DeCastro suffered a torn MCL in the preseason. He started the first 13 games at right guard and then moved to the left side, where he has played since, during the last three games after Willie Colon was injured.

Feiler could follow a similar path to a starting job, but he will have his hands full. While he has been taking the bulk of the first-team reps, he has to compete with second-year former third-round pick Chukwuma Okorafor, who had an encouraging rookie season in 2018 and even started one game while Feiler was nicked up.

Feiler told Klinger that seeing how the likes of Foster and Villanueva had to come up to get where they are, and the work that they put in, “kind of motivates you to do the same thing”. I think it’s fair to say that if he does start, barring injuries, it will have been through the product of his labors and nothing else.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/ra...of-my-process/