Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: This Stat Will Determine If The Steelers Win Another Super Bowl

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    But what is going to be done specifically to address 14 dropped ints? What would you like to see done?
    maybe we can bring in Ike Taylor to work with the DBs on catching the football?

Legend

User Info Menu

Hahahahahahahahahaha; best laugh Iíve had all day.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Cap, I’m in agreement with you on the fumbles; that’s definitly part of the turnover equation. But what is going to be done specifically to address 14 dropped ints? What would you like to see done?
    Draft a former receiver at corner perhaps?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Draft a former receiver at corner perhaps?
    And bring in a UFA CB at more than the bargain basement prices the Steelers usually pay, plus hire a separate high level D coach to specifically focus on the secondary.

And part of having fewer drops might be just waiting until this year for luck to revert to the mean. I know that part's difficult to swallow, but so much of sports is luck based and sometimes you just need a new sample size to get better results.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

I agree with all of this. But at the same time, you DO NOT want to overemphasize interceptions to the point where DBs are gambling too much and giving up big plays. Just catch the damn ball when the opportunity arises, thatís the solution. I agree, our luck will also revert to the mean.

I totally disagree that itís a coaching or defensive philosophy problem. If it were, thereís no way the defense would be in position to drop 14 INTs. The coaches obviously put them in the right position. Itís up to the players to make the plays.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

on the original post: stats that say, "in the top 15" crack me up, when there's only 32 teams. why not just use 16 and say "top half of the league". Likely, they don't because "top half" is not all that impressive (and why they CHOOSE to say "top 15"). It's like being in the top 60 in NCAA football in a comparable stat. Meh...

Having said that, yes, you want to have more takeways than giveaways. Isn't there some ridiculously high correlation between the team that wins the turnover battle and the team that wins each game (seems like it was around 80%)?
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Legend

User Info Menu

3 stats that doomed the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2018

by Dan Gilliam

Stats arenít always important, but some are rather telling. Here are three important stats that doomed the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2019.

Stats can tell a story. Sometimes they are misleading, but other times they can be right on the money. They let you look deeper into the goings on of the team and can tell you what your deficiencies are. This was the case for the Steelers in 2018.

I am a fantasy analyst so I look closely at the stats and try to interpret their meaning. I have found some stats that I think clearly define the weak areas where improvement is needed. They cast a light on what went wrong with the 2018 season.

I will give you three stats that are glaring problems that need to be fixed, as well as some others that reinforce their point. The Steelers front office, I am sure, are working very hard to fix them.

I am confident that this should come as no surprise to them, but some problems are very obvious that a fix should have already been in place. I am sure it is not as simple as an adjustment here or there but sometimes it might just be that simple.

The Steelers did not run the ball enough in 2018

In 2018, not only were the Steelers second to last in rushing attempts in the NFL, but it was their lowest total in five years. They attempted only 345 runs. Last time they ran the ball this little was in 2015 when they went 10-6.

I am not saying that rush attempts equates to wins, but could they make a difference? In the last five years there were 3 seasons that the total rushing attempts were over 400.

In 2017 the Steelers ran the ball 437 times and their record was 13-3 (best record and most attempts in five year span). Next was 409 attempts in 2016, and 423 attempts in 2014. The Steelers finished both years with 11-5 records.

The additions to the run game with the drafting of Bennie Snell, and the loss of WR Antonio Brown and Jessie James, should improve dramatically because they will be forced to revolve their offense around the running attack.

The defense was third to last in takeaways

This one threw me for a loop as their sack total was tied for first, and the Steelers were second in QB hits. This doesnít make a lot of sense. I think takeaways will improve with a speedy, aggressive linebacker in Devin Bush.

The other areas of the defense were alright, but this was one glaring deficiency that needs to be addressed. I donít know if this was an opportunity thing or if our defense just did not make enough plays.

Too many pass attempts

The Steelers were first in the NFL in pass attempts by a whopping 45 attempts. Even though the Chiefs had 50 touchdown passes, they still had less attempts than the Steelers! During the game against the Chiefs, the Steelers threw the ball 60 times! This dependence on the pass has to come down.

The ratio of passes to runs, as you can imagine, is also very poor. In 2018, 67.39 percent of the time was a pass and only 32.61 percent was a run. It got even worse on the road because the passing percentage went up to 70 percent! If the team wants to improve then this percentage needs to be closer together. I donít think it needs to be a 50-50 split, but a team like the Patriots were much closer. I think that is more of the ideal to strive for.

I know that stats donít tell the entire story, but they give you a good indication of a problem or deficiency. These will be improved upon and the Steelers will have a much better season in 2019 with some tinkering here or there but these are some places to start.

https://stillcurtain.com/2019/06/24/...steelers-2018/

Legend

User Info Menu

We didn't run the ball enough and had too many pass attempts? At the same time? Whoa....
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    We didn't run the ball enough and had too many pass attempts? At the same time? Whoa....
    who would have thought, huh? what a coincidence

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    3 stats that doomed the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2018

by Dan Gilliam

Stats aren’t always important, but some are rather telling. Here are three important stats that doomed the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2019.

Stats can tell a story. Sometimes they are misleading, but other times they can be right on the money. They let you look deeper into the goings on of the team and can tell you what your deficiencies are. This was the case for the Steelers in 2018.

I am a fantasy analyst so I look closely at the stats and try to interpret their meaning. I have found some stats that I think clearly define the weak areas where improvement is needed. They cast a light on what went wrong with the 2018 season.

I will give you three stats that are glaring problems that need to be fixed, as well as some others that reinforce their point. The Steelers front office, I am sure, are working very hard to fix them.

I am confident that this should come as no surprise to them, but some problems are very obvious that a fix should have already been in place. I am sure it is not as simple as an adjustment here or there but sometimes it might just be that simple.

The Steelers did not run the ball enough in 2018

In 2018, not only were the Steelers second to last in rushing attempts in the NFL, but it was their lowest total in five years. They attempted only 345 runs. Last time they ran the ball this little was in 2015 when they went 10-6.

I am not saying that rush attempts equates to wins, but could they make a difference? In the last five years there were 3 seasons that the total rushing attempts were over 400.

In 2017 the Steelers ran the ball 437 times and their record was 13-3 (best record and most attempts in five year span). Next was 409 attempts in 2016, and 423 attempts in 2014. The Steelers finished both years with 11-5 records.

The additions to the run game with the drafting of Bennie Snell, and the loss of WR Antonio Brown and Jessie James, should improve dramatically because they will be forced to revolve their offense around the running attack.

The defense was third to last in takeaways

This one threw me for a loop as their sack total was tied for first, and the Steelers were second in QB hits. This doesn’t make a lot of sense. I think takeaways will improve with a speedy, aggressive linebacker in Devin Bush.

The other areas of the defense were alright, but this was one glaring deficiency that needs to be addressed. I don’t know if this was an opportunity thing or if our defense just did not make enough plays.

Too many pass attempts

The Steelers were first in the NFL in pass attempts by a whopping 45 attempts. Even though the Chiefs had 50 touchdown passes, they still had less attempts than the Steelers! During the game against the Chiefs, the Steelers threw the ball 60 times! This dependence on the pass has to come down.

The ratio of passes to runs, as you can imagine, is also very poor. In 2018, 67.39 percent of the time was a pass and only 32.61 percent was a run. It got even worse on the road because the passing percentage went up to 70 percent! If the team wants to improve then this percentage needs to be closer together. I don’t think it needs to be a 50-50 split, but a team like the Patriots were much closer. I think that is more of the ideal to strive for.

I know that stats don’t tell the entire story, but they give you a good indication of a problem or deficiency. These will be improved upon and the Steelers will have a much better season in 2019 with some tinkering here or there but these are some places to start.

https://stillcurtain.com/2019/06/24/...steelers-2018/

I disagree with 2 out of 3.

I would remove "did not run the ball enough" and "too many pass attempts" (the same thing as Ruthless points out).

And I would swap in "terrible FG %age" and "too many turnovers on O".

Missed FGs take points off the board AND result in bad field position.

I think someone here posted some data saying that fumbles happen more on passing plays than running plays. Maybe that's some justification for the pass too often / run too little argument. But in general, I can see the FO's argument that short passes / screens give you similar benefits as runs with a better chance to have explosive plays. I think Ben has one of the shortest average air yards in the league (different than in year's past). I think this suggests that we were specifically running more short pass plays by design. I hope it doesn't mean that the team things that's Ben's deep ball accuracy is declining (I seem to remember this being poor early in the season).

If the link between passing plays and fumbles is there in general, I'd like to see a breakdown of passing play fumbles vs. play type / air yards.