Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: This Stat Will Determine If The Steelers Win Another Super Bowl

Legend

User Info Menu

Butler swears that if they had held on to those picks, they'd have been 13-3
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    One question and one statement that I can't prove but seems like the reality of last year to me.

First, the question:
    So, if the dropped INTs happened in games the Steelers won would their record have been any different?

Second, the statement
    Even though the Steelers sacked the quarterback quite a bit last year, the reason, imo, that they didn't generate more TOs is because they didn't provide consistent pressure. That is, they either sacked the guy or he had plenty of time to throw. For a pass rush to be effective in helping cause TOs I think it needs to be consistent pressure. Like I said, I can't prove this and maybe someone can prove it to be false, but it's what it felt like to me. The Steelers front either got home and sacked the QB or they got pushed out of the way and the QB had time and space to throw.

Pappy
    I think this is a great question. IIRC, the Terrible Podcast on Tuesday this week (but maybe it was Friday last week) looked at what games the dropped picks and non-recovered fumbles happened in. Some were in games we already won (like the Panther's game), while others happened in losses (not a loss, but I remember they talked about a fumble not recovered in the tied Browns game).

You're certainly right that improving the turnover ratio in games we already won wouldn't have changed anything. I think a lot would have to happen perfectly for drops and lack of recoveries for us to get to 13 wins with fewer drops. But I think it's certainly possible that we get one more and win the division. I think they mentioned the Chargers game too.

I think an extra turnover against the Chargers, Raiders, or Saints could easily have gotten us one more win. Two seasons ago we were great in games decided by 6 points or less. Last year we sucked in those same games. I think turnovers and kicking were a big part of that.

I also agree that it would be interesting to see how many of our sacks are "quality sacks" or to look at something like "sacks + pressures" to get an idea of how we compare with the league for something like "consistent pressure". Maybe that's the difference for why it didn't lead to more turnovers. If we're getting a bunch of sacks by running the QB out of bounds of something, maybe they're not pressured into more picks / fumbles. Or, if we just happen to convert pressure into sacks better than other teams maybe we get a bunch of sacks without generating a lot of pressure.

Hopefully, Nelson will give us better CB play and we'll generate better pressure by giving our guys more time to get home this year.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 06-07-2019 at 05:49 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think an extra turnover against the Chargers, Raiders, or Saints could easily have gotten us one more win.
    There were also some blatantly obvious blown calls that made a huge difference against the Chargers and Saints in terms of the ultimate outcome. We were blowing out the Chargers until the refs allowed them back into the game with a long TD pass in which their RT was so ridiculously offside that it was downright stunning. And against the Saints there were 3 separate PI incidences involving Joe Haden (if I remember correctly, there was a bogus PI call against him in the end zone, another bogus PI call against him on a cricital late 3rd or 4th down conversion that could have potentially ended the game right there, and also a blatant uncalled offensive pass interference against Haden on the ultimate game-losing TD). I hate complaining about officiating and using them as an excuse, but these situations were so blatant that if any of those awful calls get called correctly, we'd have 2 more wins as well and would have not only made the playoff comfortably, but we'd also have earned a bye as the second seed as well. That's how razor-thin the difference between teams is in this league right now.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would like to believe we win those games with bad calls.

I think we definitely win the Saints game if we didn’t get called for a PI on 4th down.

Not sure we beat the Chargers though because another 5 yards and a replay of down doesn’t mean we automatically stop them. There was enough game left to beat the Chargers.

One thing we need this year is to overcome bad calls.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Does it seem like we always get our sacks in bunches? For that matter QB pressure also. We might go for 2 quarters without smelling the opposing QB and then the next quarter we are on him like flies on sh!t. Then we go back to not even being in the same zip code. How I miss the good ole days of Harrison bending around the LT and Woodley powering through the RT with both meeting at the QB.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Does it seem like we always get our sacks in bunches? For that matter QB pressure also. We might go for 2 quarters without smelling the opposing QB and then the next quarter we are on him like flies on sh!t. Then we go back to not even being in the same zip code. How I miss the good ole days of Harrison bending around the LT and Woodley powering through the RT with both meeting at the QB.
    Or one stripping the ball and the other scooping it up.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Arguably the most damning dropped interception came in the game late in the season against the Los Angeles Chargers, which had the makings of a Steelers blowout early on before a number of quirks went against them.

One thing they definitely could have controlled was a play that went from a should-be interception to a touchdown. Joe Haden had position to pick the ball off intended for Keenan Allen in the end zone. Only Sean Davis collided with his own man. The ball popped up in the air and the wide receiver was able to corral it before it hit the ground in the end zone.
    I was at that game, and that play happened in the EZ we were near, we were around the 25 yard line. It looked like a Keystone Cops routine. That was ridiculous.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    No I don't. I just know of the issue with lack of turnovers in general over the last 8 years. There's been discussion of this off and on about it over the years.
    Look closely my friend.....the difference in the turnovers are about FUMBLES, nothing to do with coaching secondary.
    We USED TO FORCE MORE FUMBLES than most teams largely because of a hitting style that is now illegal.

Our turnovers tanked after the rules changed. We were NEVER an elite team in interceptions since the Woodson/ Lake era.

We got a bump with Troy......but it was Troy specifically.....even with BC.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-09-2019 at 01:06 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Look closely my friend.....the difference in the turnovers are about FUMBLES, nothing to do with coaching secondary.
    We USED TO FORCE MORE FUMBLES than most teams largely because of a hitting style that is now illegal.

Our turnovers tanked after the rules changed. We were NEVER an elite team in interceptions since the Woodson/ Lake era.

Lemming...you're missing the point.

It's Tomlin's fault...TOMLIN TOMLIN TOMLIN.

What's that...I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER TOMLIN'S FAILURE AT EVERYTHING!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post

Cap, I’m in agreement with you on the fumbles; that’s definitly part of the turnover equation. But what is going to be done specifically to address 14 dropped ints? What would you like to see done?
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN