Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: This Stat Will Determine If The Steelers Win Another Super Bowl

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I don't have to "move the goal post" on anything.
    NB asked you a specific question, to explain why you see drops as a coaching issue.

Rather than answering that particular question, you started talking about being in the bottom fourth of the league in turnovers over the last 5-6 seasons.

That is not what he asked you about.

Ignoring the question someone specifically asked you and answering a different question that was not asked instead is literally the definition of moving the goal posts.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Keith Butler: ‘The Difference Between 13-3 And 9-6-1 Were Those Dropped Interceptions’

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on June 4, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers intercepted 16 passes in 2017. They went 13-3 that year and held a postseason bye week, although they squandered it by falling to the Jacksonville Jaguars in a high-scoring affair that early on looked like it could be a blowout.

The Steelers intercepted eight passes last season, their lowest total in many, many years. They posted a 9-6-1 record, missing the postseason entirely, even though they were in position for a bye week with six games to play.

Two of their six interceptions did come in that six-game stretch in which they went 2-4. They won one of the games in which they were able to take the ball away—intercepting the New England Patriots’ Tom Brady in the red zone—and lost the other against the New Orleans Saints.

Steelers defensive coordinator Keith Butler definitely sees a correlation between the two figures: interception total and win-loss record, especially relative to the past two years. He sat down with Missi Matthews during OTas for an interview on the team’s website. “The difference between 13-3 and 9-6-1 were those dropped interceptions for us”, he said.

“Our takeaway ratio wasn’t as good as it has been. I think if we can just catch some of the balls that we had the opportunity to catch”, he said, it would make all the difference. “We’ve got to make sure that if we get our hands on the ball, we have to complete the catch”.

The dropped interceptions are something that we have talked about a number of times this offseason. At least according to Pro Football Focus, no team in the league had more dropped interceptions than the Steelers did in 2018, something like 13 of them if I recall correctly by their count.

Arguably the most damning dropped interception came in the game late in the season against the Los Angeles Chargers, which had the makings of a Steelers blowout early on before a number of quirks went against them.

One thing they definitely could have controlled was a play that went from a should-be interception to a touchdown. Joe Haden had position to pick the ball off intended for Keenan Allen in the end zone. Only Sean Davis collided with his own man. The ball popped up in the air and the wide receiver was able to corral it before it hit the ground in the end zone.

We have to “make sure that we intercept the passes that we have an opportunity to intercept”, Butler said. “We dropped a lot of interceptions last year”. Haden, who had at least two or three of those drops himself despite leading the team with two, saw that as well and knows the team needs to change that.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/ke...interceptions/

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers clearly weren't happy with the secondary. That could be why Lake is gone. Can't blame Tomlin for trying to find a fix... and position coaching is maybe the first step.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The Steelers clearly weren't happy with the secondary. That could be why Lake is gone. Can't blame Tomlin for trying to find a fix... and position coaching is maybe the first step.
    Yep..that could be it.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The what is not the question. The number of 25-35 turnovers is the known. It's the how that we have to figure out. How do you consistently create turnovers. The answer to the how is the money question.
    Adding speed to the D is a step in that direction at ILB with Barron n Bush. Upgrade at cb with Nelson over CS. Edmunds with a year under his belt perhaps takes that big step from where he was as the rookie. And perhaps Hargrave plays the entire year like he did down the stretch where he was very solid. Lastly someone like Adeniyi or even a rook like Smith will need to make some edge rush contributions on passing downs and force a handful of turnovers that Bud just hasn't done quite well enough in the past. A healthy year out of Mike Hilton will also get us closer to where we need to be as well.
    If most areas produce better performances and we can scheme more man under cover 1 and NOT soft zones we'll have our best chance to improve that turnover number to a total where we have a chance in the post season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    The what is not the question. The number of 25-35 turnovers is the known. It's the how that we have to figure out. How do you consistently create turnovers. The answer to the how is the money question.
    Adding speed to the D is a step in that direction at ILB with Barron n Bush. Upgrade at cb with Nelson over CS. Edmunds with a year under his belt perhaps takes that big step from where he was as the rookie. And perhaps Hargrave plays the entire year like he did down the stretch where he was very solid. Lastly someone like Adeniyi or even a rook like Smith will need to make some edge rush contributions on passing downs and force a handful of turnovers that Bud just hasn't done quite well enough in the past. A healthy year out of Mike Hilton will also get us closer to where we need to be as well.
    If most areas produce better performances and we can scheme more man under cover 1 and NOT soft zones we'll have our best chance to improve that turnover number to a total where we have a chance in the post season.
    What's so odd is that the answer to this question should be more pressure and get more sacks. Should lead to more QB fumbles, and more QB hurries lead to bad throws and picks.

But we already have more sacks than anyone over the last 2 years. But we don't see any of the turnover benefits.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    What's so odd is that the answer to this question should be more pressure and get more sacks. Should lead to more QB fumbles, and more QB hurries lead to bad throws and picks.

But we already have more sacks than anyone over the last 2 years. But we don't see any of the turnover benefits.
    North, sooo.. what do you suggest?
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I'm saying (not implying) that the overall defensive philosophy is flawed and not only last year, but the over a 5-6 year period, we are always in the bottom 4th in turnovers.

Stop trying to twist and change what I said. I don't have to "move the goal post" on anything. I was very clear in what I said and meant.

North, (without any explanation please..) Who is responsible for our defensive philosophy? Just answer that question without all the mumbo jumbo.
    I'll answer your question while waiting for you to answer mine.

Note that the answer probably depends a bit on what you mean by "philosophy".

But, I think that the DC is be responsible for designing the D (building the playbook by designing schemes and plays, lead for game planning every week) and calling the vast majority of plays on game day (that's why he's the one with the chart).

But, the HC is responsible for selecting the DC so they'd certainly influence the high level strategy. The HC is probably also responsible for calling / OKing decisions at critical points in the game. They probably also have high level input on game planning every week.

In my view, someone like Jocko might say that the HC takes the lead on strategies while the DC takes the lead on tactics. I'd say that "philosophy" is probably the combination of strategy and tactics. Ideally the coaches have a good working relationship and they do these things together.

I think it would be interesting if we could get game day audio from Tomlin / Butler to see how their communications go during the game. Maybe we can ask the Pats for it.

Now that I've answered your question, I'll ask you again: Do you think dropped INTs are the fault of the HC and not execution failures by the players? If so, why?
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 06-04-2019 at 02:33 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post

Good point it is a bit of an anomaly. We'll need the same rush with better play at the 2nd n 3rd levels to match up with playoff caliber teams. Camp n pre-season will tell us some things but we won't really know till the 2nd half of 19. At Latrobe I will be able to see if we have improved our team speed and that will be a factor
    in the turnover formula. If Nelson , Haden ,Hilton n Lane can be trusted in man under that scheme should allow us to pressure more on D n turnovers are more likely. We'll just have to see it before getting to optimistic.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Good point it is a bit of an anomaly. We'll need the same rush with better play at the 2nd n 3rd levels to match up with playoff caliber teams. Camp n pre-season will tell us some things but we won't really know till the 2nd half of 19. At Latrobe I will be able to see if we have improved our team speed and that will be a factor
    in the turnover formula. If Nelson , Haden ,Hilton n Lane can be trusted in man under that scheme should allow us to pressure more on D n turnovers are more likely. We'll just have to see it before getting to optimistic.
    Yep. I don't think we'll know anything real until at least half way through the season.

I hope that Nelson and Bush end up being critical adds for us this year.