Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This Stat Will Determine If The Steelers Win Another Super Bowl

Legend

User Info Menu

This Stat Will Determine If The Steelers Win Another Super Bowl

This Stat Will Determine If The Steelers Win Another Super Bowl

By Alex Kozora
    Posted on June 3, 2019

Want to know if the Pittsburgh Steelers are going to win another Super Bowl? Thereís one stat that rises above the rest. For all the numbers youíre going to hear this season, the red zone offense (important, to be sure), JuJuís production, Benís interceptions, the number of sacks this defense will record, itís their takeaway number you should be really focused on.

We know how much of an issue it was last year. Despite leading the league in sacks, they registered just 15 takeaways, tied for 29th in the league. Along the way, they dropped the most interceptions and failed to create turnovers in the gameís biggest moments.

Thereís no question that number has to get better in 2019. But by how much? Thatís what I wanted to find out. We looked back at the last 19 Super Bowl winners, 2000 to 2018, to see how many takeaways they recorded. So, on paper at least, we can determine the minimum number of takeaways this defense needs this season.

Team (Year) Takeaways NFL Rank

New England 2018 28 T-5th
    Philadelphia (2017) 31 4th
    New England (2016) 23 T-14th
    Denver (2015) 27 T-7th
    New England (2014) 25 T-13th
    Seattle (2013) 39 1st
    Baltimore (2012) 25 T-14th
    New York Giants (2011) 31 T-5th
    Green Bay (2010) 32 6th
    New Orleans (2009) 39 2nd
    Pittsburgh 2008 29 T-9th
    New York Giants (2007) 25 T-22nd
    Indianapolis (2006) 26 21st
    Pittsburgh (2005) 30 T-11th
    New England (2004) 36 T-3rd
    New England (2003) 41 T-2nd
    Tampa Bay (2002) 38 5th
    New England (2001) 35 8th
    Baltimore (2000) 49 1st

Here are the takeways of the, well, takeaways.

18 of the 19 past Super Bowl winners finished the regular season with at least 25 of them. Only one, the 2016 New England Patriots, finished with fewer. They registered 23, still finishing in the top half of the league.

13 of the 19 champions finished in the top ten. A whopping 17 of the 19 in the top 15. Only two teams went on to hoist the Lombardi despite finishing outside the top 20 in takeaways; the 2006 Colts and 2007 Giants. Still, both teams recorded at least 25 total takeaways.

Based off this data, itís fair to put the minimum number of takeaways this Steelersí defense needs at 25. And given whatís happened since their last Super Bowl appearance, itís pretty clear to see why theyíve yet to make it back. Here are the Steelers takeaways since 2011

2018: 15
    2017: 22
    2016: 23
    2015: 30
    2014: 21
    2013: 20
    2012: 20
    2011: 15

Only once once over the last eight years have they eclipsed the 25 takeaway mark. That was 2015, when they fell short in the Divisional round of the playoffs to Denver, but got there thanks to Ė and I hope youíre sitting down for this Ė the Steelersí defense forced and recovered a fumble to comeback and beat the Bengals.

Itís no surprise the last time they went to the Super Bowl, though obviously they didnít win it, was in 2010, when they recorded 35 turnovers. In the years they won it, they had 29 and 30 takeaways.

Itís a number thatís entirely achievable. This is a secondary that dropped 14 interceptions last year. If they couldíve caught ten of them, they wouldíve hit the magic number. Itís a goal entirely within range but then again, a number thatís been fleeting for far too long.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/th...er-super-bowl/

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

14 dropped INT’s last season?! Had no idea they dropped so many.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AzStillers1989 View Post
    14 dropped INT’s last season?! Had no idea they dropped so many.
    seems to be the norm for this defense.

don't forgoet before the jesse james fiasco of catch/no catch rule,
    tommy terrific threw the ball right into sean daviis' hands which would have essentially ended the game

Legend

User Info Menu

The definition of madness is to do the same things and expect a different result.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

14 dropped interceptions?? Lord; we hold on to half off those and we’d have possibly won the division. Well, the front 7 pressure was there huh? As usual, it’s our backend that let us down. Wish we had a coach on our team that specialized
    ( cut his teeth) in the secondary... oh wait! Never mind.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    14 dropped interceptions?? Lord; we hold on to half off those and we’d have possibly won the division. Well, the front 7 pressure was there huh? As usual, it’s our backend that let us down. Wish we had a coach on our team that specialized
    ( cut his teeth) in the secondary... oh wait! Never mind.
    Can you explain why you see drops as a coaching issue?

It seems pretty clear to me that dropping INTs is a player execution issue. Maybe on some level it's a roster construction issue if the GM can't get guys on the roster who can catch.

The coaches called plays that put defensive players in position to get 1 or 2 hands on the ball. Coaches can't catch it for players.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post

It seems pretty clear to me that dropping INTs is a player execution issue. Maybe on some level it's a roster construction issue if the GM can't get guys on the roster who can catch.

The coaches called plays that put defensive players in position to get 1 or 2 hands on the ball. Coaches can't catch it for players.
    North,
    other then one year, we've finished in the bottom forth in the league in turnovers. At some point, over the last 5-6 years and beyond, it's not just the players but the defensive philosophy has to be brought into question. I think we've past that point to question the defensive philosophy and especially right now, I question Butler as a legit DC in general.

Are you saying, it's just a coincidence that we are always in the bottom 4th of the league in turnovers? If you say that, then okay; your entitled to your opinion but I disagree with that.

The definition of insanity (madness) is to do the same things over and over again and expect a different result.
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 06-04-2019 at 10:49 AM.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    North,
    other then one year, we've finished in the bottom forth in the league in turnovers. At some point, over the last 5-6 years and beyond, it's not just the players but the defensive philosophy has to be brought into question. I think we've past that point to question the defensive philosophy and especially right now, I question Butler as a legit DC in general.

Are you saying, it's just a coincidence that we are always in the bottom 4th of the league in turnovers? If you say that, then okay; your entitled to your opinion but I disagree with that.
    Nope (but nice attempt at moving the goal posts ).

I am not talking about a long term trend. I am specifically talking about last season and dropped passes by the D. Like you, I also assume it's mostly the secondary but I don't know.

In your post, you said: "14 dropped interceptions?? Lord; we hold on to half off those and we’d have possibly won the division."

Then, you implied that we dropped those picks because of the head coach.

But dropped interceptions are an indication that the coach called the right play (likely more Butler than Tomlin) and put the player in the right position. But, the failed to execute the "catch the ball when it hits your hands" part of the play. I think that the player being in the right position, but not finishing the play is a pretty clear indication that it's failed execution.

I don't understand why you think dropped INTs are the fault of the HC...and maybe you don't either since you appear to have deflected the question.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 06-04-2019 at 10:56 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Nope (but nice attempt at moving the goal posts ).

I am not talking about a long term trend. I am specifically talking about last season and dropped passes by the D. Like you, I also assume it's mostly the secondary but I don't know.

In your post, you said: "14 dropped interceptions?? Lord; we hold on to half off those and we’d have possibly won the division."

Then, you implied that we dropped those picks because of the head coach.

But dropped interceptions are an indication that the coach called the right play (likely more Butler than Tomlin) and put the player in the right position. But, the failed to execute the "catch the ball when it hits your hands" part of the play. I think that the player being in the right position, but not finishing the play is a pretty clear indication that it's failed execution.

I don't understand why you think dropped INTs are the fault of the HC...and maybe you don't either since you appear to have deflected the question.
    I'm saying (not implying) that the overall defensive philosophy is flawed and not only last year, but the over a 5-6 year period, we are always in the bottom 4th in turnovers.

Stop trying to twist and change what I said. I don't have to "move the goal post" on anything. I was very clear in what I said and meant.

North, (without any explanation please..) Who is responsible for our defensive philosophy? Just answer that question without all the mumbo jumbo.
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 06-04-2019 at 11:05 AM.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Didn't they bring Ike Taylor to Latrobe a year or two ago as an intern of some sort?

Guess they learned how to drop INT's from the guy who was always the best at it.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.