Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ron Cook: A few things we wish Ben Roethlisberger would say Tuesday

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    I think itís a big of him to do admit it.
    It would have been big of him to do it a few weeks after he made the comments. It's been MANY months.

Apologizing now after AB went full out crazed lunatic serves no purpose IMO.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Wait a minute -- I thought they were Ben's kids???
    Ben needs to start a new Make A Wish charity called Ben's kid's and then tweet AB asking for a donation.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Why is Terrell Edmunds always mentioned as some special selection that was "hand-picked" by Tomlin? Same is often said of Artie Burns as well.
    Personally, I don't care who picked him. When they took him, I was concerned that he was a reach (a round or two early). Now, he's exposing himself as a meathead who is doing exactly what we don't need -- stirring up drama. Hope he changes things up, because he's been a disappointment so far.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Personally, I don't care who picked him. When they took him, I was concerned that he was a reach (a round or two early). Now, he's exposing himself as a meathead who is doing exactly what we don't need -- stirring up drama. Hope he changes things up, because he's been a disappointment so far.
    He WAS a reach; and when a guy is a reach, that means management looked at him with a microscope and determined he was something no one else did. Meaning, he was hand picked..not a consensus. That also means that that is YOUR special baby. So when/if he bust, then you went against common thought on that guy and you were flat out wrong.

That's what "special" selection means..all those things I just said.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

Legend

User Info Menu

So, If Ben man's up and said what he did was wrong, that's a bad thing? What if he choose not to address the issue at all? Then they'd rail against him about not "manning up". You see? You see how you can't win regardless? No matter what you do, they will spin it in a negative light.

Me personally, I'd have said nothing ever and let people say what they want to say about a situation that doesn't matter anymore.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    So, If Ben man's up and said what he did was wrong, that's a bad thing? What if he choose not to address the issue at all? Then they'd rail against him about not "manning up". You see? You see how you can't win regardless? No matter what you do, they will spin it in a negative light.

Me personally, I'd have said nothing ever and let people say what they want to say about a situation that doesn't matter anymore.
    If there was going to be an apology, I think Ben waited far too long. AB has shown he is the most childish, idiot diva on the planet. I don't see what good comes from apologizing NOW. Ben went this long saying nothing. I would have just kept it that way and let AB continue to make himself look stupid. It looks a little odd on the part of Ben for him to say he still considers Brown a good friend. How can you possibly think he's actually a good friend???? It sounds disingenuous to say that he considers him a good friend when Brown took a dump all over Ben on his way out of town.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    He WAS a reach; and when a guy is a reach, that means management looked at him with a microscope and determined he was something no one else did. Meaning, he was hand picked..not a consensus. That also means that that is YOUR special baby. So when/if he bust, then you went against common thought on that guy and you were flat out wrong.

That's what "special" selection means..all those things I just said.
    When people say immediately after the draft happens that a player is a "reach" or a "steal" that means that he was taken higher or lower than talking head draftniks like Mel Kiper had him projected to go.

But these "draft gurus" are outsiders and only have some of the available information. They can see college stats, they know how players did at the various athletic tests at the combine and pro days, and they can watch their college games. However, most of the time, they are watching television feeds of college games, or even worse, looking only at YouTube highlights. Plus draft analysts are ranking all of the players in a vacuum without regard to specific scheme fits and the like.

Meanwhile, team scouts have access to All-22 coaches tape, can talk to the players directly, plus their college coaches and the guys who work in the weight room, etc.to learn about a guy's work ethic, intelligence, love of the game, and such. They also have full access to medical reports that the public is not able to obtain.

So when someone is deemed to be a "reach" or a "steal" it's not that the NFL teams are misinformed and making bad picks. It's more likely that the rankings of the Kipers of the world are all messed up because of the limited information they get access to compared to professional NFL scouting departments.

Immediately deeming Terrell Edmunds a "reach" essentially means that you trust what a Mel Kiper type tells about who should be a top player more than you trust what Kevin Colbert is saying about what players he thinks would help his team win.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    If there was going to be an apology, I think Ben waited far too long. AB has shown he is the most childish, idiot diva on the planet. I don't see what good comes from apologizing NOW. Ben went this long saying nothing. I would have just kept it that way and let AB continue to make himself look stupid. It looks a little odd on the part of Ben for him to say he still considers Brown a good friend. How can you possibly think he's actually a good friend???? It sounds disingenuous to say that he considers him a good friend when Brown took a dump all over Ben on his way out of town.
    Oh, I'm in your camp. But since he did say it, it's a super bad thing? But him saying Brown is a good friend is stupid; Its as stupid as Rob Pelinka saying yesterday how much he likes and admires Magic Johnson. Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben Roethlisberger considering his radio show again

Posted by Darin Gantt on May 21, 2019, 7:44 AM EDT

Ben Roethlisberger isn’t going to do his weekly radio show anymore. Unless he is.

Despite suggestions in March that he was finished with what became appointment radio (Hey, when the quarterback is willing to toss teammates under the bus live, you listen), he has apparently had a change of heart.

During an interview with KDKA-TV, Roethlisberger said he’s still considering it.

“I haven’t made a final decision yet,” Roethlisberger said, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “We talk a lot about it with my family and my agents and the Steelers. I think people like it. That we can give some inside access. We’ll make a final decision moving forward. . . .

“If we do (the show), it’ll be the best we’ve ever done. If we don’t, there will probably be a reason, too.”

That reason might come from his bosses, as he has not always created a positive workplace environment with his comments. But it’s clear Roethlisberger likes having his own platform, and the ability to shape his message in a controlled environment.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/21/ben-roethlisberger-considering-his-radio-show-again/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    When people say immediately after the draft happens that a player is a "reach" or a "steal" that means that he was taken higher or lower than talking head draftniks like Mel Kiper had him projected to go.

But these "draft gurus" are outsiders and only have some of the available information. They can see college stats, they know how players did at the various athletic tests at the combine and pro days, and they can watch their college games. However, most of the time, they are watching television feeds of college games, or even worse, looking only at YouTube highlights. Plus draft analysts are ranking all of the players in a vacuum without regard to specific scheme fits and the like.

Meanwhile, team scouts have access to All-22 coaches tape, can talk to the players directly, plus their college coaches and the guys who work in the weight room, etc.to learn about a guy's work ethic, intelligence, love of the game, and such. They also have full access to medical reports that the public is not able to obtain.

So when someone is deemed to be a "reach" or a "steal" it's not that the NFL teams are misinformed and making bad picks. It's more likely that the rankings of the Kipers of the world are all messed up because of the limited information they get access to compared to professional NFL scouting departments.

Immediately deeming Terrell Edmunds a "reach" essentially means that you trust what a Mel Kiper type tells about who should be a top player more than you trust what Kevin Colbert is saying about what players he thinks would help his team win.
    I think a lot of teams listen to Mel Kiper. Heck, the Raiders made Mayock their GM.

There's no way everyone comes away in general rating so many guys in the same ball park. Scouting is so inexact, there's no way collectively so many teams come to the same conclusions. I think it's a big marketing like conspiracy where good agents go out and sell their clients and get them a lot of hype to get them up a draft board.

As soon as there's an article about anyone moving up the draft boards, that player seems to move up everyone's draft board collectively.

And maybe there's some general consensus on the top 10 or so because that becomes obvious in some situations because some talent is other worldly. Sort of a potential game changer. But then for me as a fan, sometimes I can't tell the difference between a 3rd rounder and a UDFA. And I don't think most people can without first hearing a suggestion that guy is a projected 3rd round pick vs guy b not being projected to being drafted.