Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben Takes Offensive Skill Players to His Lake House

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ben Takes Offensive Skill Players to His Lake House

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...orgia-nfl-news

Not anything new. He's done this kind of thing a number of times, but you'd never know it from the national media. In fact, even AB, who complained that Ben never invited him to his house, went on at least one of these trips a few years ago (photographic evidence).

Legend

User Info Menu

Joe Starkey: National narrative on Ben Roethlisberger hits comical low

JOE STARKEY
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

MAY 16, 2019

Antonio Brown started this mess, not by hurling furniture at Ben Roethlisberger but by heaving repeated pot shots at him after Brown quit on the Steelers before their biggest game of the year.

The offseason soon became open season on Roethlisberger. Former players all over the national media piggybacked on comments from Brown and Le’Veon Bell, the latter of whom accused Roethlisberger of freezing players out of the offense.

Bell told Sports Illustrated, “It’s hard to win that way,” ignoring the fact that in his final 23 regular-season games here, the Steelers went 20-3.

So, I mean, it couldn’t have been that hard to win.

The silliest of all the criticisms was this idea that Roethlisberger wasn’t enough of a friend to Mr. Big Chest or Bell, as if that matters. Bell told SI he wished him and Ben could have had a “more open, more genuine, more real” relationship (maybe like the one Bell is forging with Adam Gase in New York?).

And the national media ran with it, never stopping to acknowledge an obvious fact: If the Steelers had given Bell the fully guaranteed money he wanted, we wouldn’t have heard a word about him wanting a more meaningful personal connection with his quarterback.

Meanwhile, Brown lamented to ESPN — in a bizarre interview that was actually a treat to re-read — that he’d only been to Ben’s house one time in nine years and that Ben had only been to his house once.

“We don’t work out in the offseason,” Brown said. “If you really want to win, you think that’s winning? That’s not winning.”

You know what is winning? Walking out on your teammates two days before a de facto playoff game. That’s winning.

Anyway, upon arriving in Oakland, Big Chest made sure to visit quarterback Derek Carr’s house, where awkward man hugs were the order of the day. The Raiders tweeted footage of the “special delivery” visit.

Five days later video emerged of Brown dropping by a birthday party for Carr’s son. It was if Big Chest was trying to tell the world, “Look everyone, I love my new quarterback — and my new quarterback loves me back!”

Anyway, this preposterous storyline hit a new low — here’s hoping it crashed and burned — Thursday morning in the form of reaction to videos of Roethlisberger and teammates hanging out at his lake house in Georgia.

Yes, he invited them to his house!

JuJu Smith-Schuster, James Conner and Tevin Jones were among those who posted videos of their trip. It appeared that Vance McDonald, Xavier Grimble, Eli Rogers, Ryan Switzer and Donte Moncrief also were among those on hand.

This prompted Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio, whose site I usually enjoy, to post an item titled, “Ben Roethlisberger seems to have heard the criticism from former teammates, and he seems to be making changes because of it.”

Florio pushed the idea that Roethlisberger was stepping out of his comfort zone to host teammates and doing so as a response to all the criticism. He was trying something new.

One problem: This wasn’t something new. Not even a little bit.

Roethlisberger invites teammates to his lake house every year, and it’s not hard to find proof. An item from behindthesteelcurtain.com, for example, is dated May 7, 2015, and headlined “Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger takes his teammates for a spin on his boat in Georgia.”

The post contained a video from Martavis Bryant’s Instagram account showing Bryant, Markus Wheaton, Darrius Heyward-Bey and — you guessed it — Mssrs. Big Chest and Bell enjoying a ride on Roethlisberger’s boat between group workouts.

Florio soon changed his headline to “Big Ben bonds with teammates at his Georgia lake house” but still insisted this was “a smart move by Roethlisberger, who has from time to time made waves for being aloof and distant and not as collegial and cordial as he could have been with fellow Steelers.”

Actually, it was business as usual, or vacation as usual, not a “smart move” designed to address a bogus national narrative.

I’m not here to tell you Roethlisberger is the Dalai Lama in that locker room. But he wasn’t the problem in there, either.

The problem is gone, all the way to Oakland, where he is Derek Carr’s new best friend.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201905160169

Legend

User Info Menu

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Picture of the year right there!!

Legend

User Info Menu

That's what I like to see right there. Feeling better about this year already.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

SB baby!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    That's what I like to see right there. Feeling better about this year already.
    yup, it's nice to see Ben spending time with his kids...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Like a good owner does.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

OK, my macchiato almost came through my nose on that one.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

He has the proper documentation for the case worker.