Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ben Takes Offensive Skill Players to His Lake House

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    The national narrative on Ben is full of crap. And like it was said earlier, this isn't the first time he's done this.

the strange thing is that ike taylor and ryan clark were some of the national media, 2 guys in the steeler locker room, but most chose to listen to a bunch oif guys who didn't have a clue what was going on inside closed doors

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    the strange thing is that ike taylor and ryan clark were some of the national media, 2 guys in the steeler locker room, but most chose to listen to a bunch oif guys who didn't have a clue what was going on inside closed doors
    Unlike the departed malcontents THEY actually know how to contribute to a championship instead of whining about money and stats.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

Several Steelers skill players are posting videos of their time at Ben Roethlisberger's Georgia lake house for team bonding and football workouts. This might be the best screenshot, via Tevin Jones' Instagram. Roethlisberger has hosted teammates in the past but not in the last few years.

Big Ben hosts Steelers' skill players at lake house

May 16, 2019

Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- This is one way to address concerns over team bonding and leadership.

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger -- who has stayed quiet this offseason despite criticism from several ex-teammates, including Antonio Brown -- hosted the team's offensive skill players at his lake house in Georgia this week for some R&R and on-field work.

Several Steelers in attendance posted Instagram videos of teammates, including wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster and running back James Conner, hanging with Roethlisberger on his boat on Lake Oconee, swimming and walking around his compound.

Roethlisberger has hosted teammates in past years but not in the last few offseasons, in part because Roethlisberger, a father of three, and his wife expanded their family.

But Brown's finger-pointing on his way out of Pittsburgh placed a spotlight on Roethlisberger's leadership. Brown tweeted before his trade to Oakland that Roethlisberger has an "owner mentality," suggesting he's bigger than the team.

Roethlisberger, 37, hasn't addressed Brown's allegation or his recent contract extension worth $68 million in new money from 2019 to 2021. Roethlisberger and the Steelers agreed to the deal before the NFL draft in late April.

His only public comment of the offseason was team-centered.

"We want to show who we are, dedicated to this team, dedicated to having a great season," Roethlisberger said to Steelers.com about the team's strong attendance during the offseason program. "We are all about each other."

Despite five straight playoff appearances, the Steelers are not the trendiest story in the AFC North right now after losing Brown and Le'Veon Bell. That title belongs to the Cleveland Browns. But the Steelers seem to relish that new reality.

"I love that everybody is doubting us," linebacker Anthony Chickillo said.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26763938/big-ben-hosts-steelers-skill-players-lake-house
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Georgia golf club creates practice field for Ben Roethlisberger to use with teammates

Thanks in part to the efforts of his local golf club, Ben Roethlisberger has been training with his teammates while in Georgia.

By Simon Chester
    May 19, 2019, 2:05pm EDT

While Ben Roethlisberger and some of his Pittsburgh Steelers teammates have been enjoying time together at his lake house in Georgia, it seems they have also had a chance to do some training as well.

In previous years, Roethlisberger had used the training facilities at the University of Georgia for these offseason sessions when at his lake house, but this time around, Big Ben was able to find somewhere a little closer to home to accommodate him and his teammates. Using a brand new practice field made especially for them by the kind people at Reynolds Lake Oconee golf club, the group was able to hold a workout at a place that would figure to be just a short boat ride away from Roethlisberger’s lake house.

Nicknamed Heinz Field South, credit for the field belongs to course Assistant Superintendent Justin Miller and 2nd Assistant Superintendent Logan Larmour, with the later the one we have to thank for all the images of their fantastic creation.

So blessed/honored to have some of the best athletes in the world, practice on a track myself & @Justinrmiller12 helped create! It was fun turning our recreation field into what members now call “Heinz Field - South” Thanks @_BigBen7 for trusting us to get the job done! #Steelers pic.twitter.com/y4iBqUlwm9
    — Logan Larmour (@LarmourLogan) May 17, 2019
    pic.twitter.com/IaysyEDoMT
    pic.twitter.com/dHezt1Zgop
    Given that Miller and Larmour must logically spend the bulk of their working lives making sure that the pristine courses at Lake Oconee always look their best, it is perhaps unsurprising to note how immaculate the 60-yard practice field looks. Roethlisberger was certainly appreciative of the efforts of his local golf club.

pic.twitter.com/ncBcT1eXFw
    pic.twitter.com/OHzZNfLBa3
    All the guys loved and appreciated the way you turned that field into "Heinz Field South"! So amazing. We loved being able to get good work in. Thank you both for the hard work that you put into it! -- Ben.
    — BigBen7.com (@_BigBen7) May 18, 2019
    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...teammates-news
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This is awesome to read...

but it’s also something that should’ve been happening all along.

Even if “some” divas wouldn’t have shown up it would’ve been great for younger players to bond together with Ben.

I know folks bring up hunting and monster truck rally’s but I get the feel like this get together is different.

It feels like the FO told Ben if they extended him he has to really buy all the way in.

Probably why he got rid of the show too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    This is awesome to read...

but it’s also something that should’ve been happening all along.

Even if “some” divas wouldn’t have shown up it would’ve been great for younger players to bond together with Ben.

I know folks bring up hunting and monster truck rally’s but I get the feel like this get together is different.

It feels like the FO told Ben if they extended him he has to really buy all the way in.

Probably why he got rid of the show too.
    Ben has done this kind of thing (lake house trip) before a number of times. I doubt the FO had to force him to do something he has voluntarily done in the past. And I don't know that it's official that he's gotten rid of the radio show. We will know in the next day or two, I would think.

All that said, I think this notion that Ben should HAVE to host teammates on "bonding outings" is based on the crap we heard from Bell and Mr. Big Chest. A year ago at this time, nobody would have been suggesting that any lack of production on the field would be due to the QB's failure to party with his fellow offensive skill players.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Ben has done this kind of thing (lake house trip) before a number of times. I doubt the FO had to force him to do something he has voluntarily done in the past. And I don't know that it's official that he's gotten rid of the radio show. We will know in the next day or two, I would think.

All that said, I think this notion that Ben should HAVE to host teammates on "bonding outings" is based on the crap we heard from Bell and Mr. Big Chest. A year ago at this time, nobody would have been suggesting that any lack of production on the field would be due to the QB's failure to party with his fellow offensive skill players.
    I think this part of our culture with Bettis when Ben arrived as a rookie.

Bettis pretty much took Ben under his wing.

While it isn’t mandatory I think it’s good to have this type of team bonding.

Giving back and donating time isn’t mandatory either but it’s great when players do it.

I don’t think any harm comes from good deeds.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    I think this part of our culture with Bettis when Ben arrived as a rookie.

Bettis pretty much took Ben under his wing.

While it isn’t mandatory I think it’s good to have this type of team bonding.

Giving back and donating time isn’t mandatory either but it’s great when players do it.

I don’t think any harm comes from good deeds.
    No harm, and I agree, it's good ... but you said "it should have been happening all along," which sounded like you thought it was necessary. This offseason, some of the talking heads have been propagating that line of thought (as long as they thought it made Ben look like the bad guy).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    No harm, and I agree, it's good ... but you said "it should have been happening all along," which sounded like you thought it was necessary. This offseason, some of the talking heads have been propagating that line of thought (as long as they thought it made Ben look like the bad guy).
    Yeah. It’s funny what can make you a “bad guy” as a Steeler.

I think “bad guy” is a loaded term when it comes to football.

Legend

User Info Menu

I wonder what kind of trip D Carr has taken AB on this offseason?

I hope Darnold has something fun planned for Bell.