Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: When it comes to the most pessimistic fans in AFC North, the Steelers take the cake

Legend

User Info Menu

When it comes to the most pessimistic fans in AFC North, the Steelers take the cake

When it comes to the most pessimistic fans in the AFC North, the Steelers take the cake

Gauging fans’ confidence shows the Steelers have the least amount of faith compared to their divisional peers.

By Jeff.Hartman May 16, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers fan base is a fickle bunch. While there are some realistic fans in the group, the majority of the fan base have a ‘Championship or Bust’ mentality. There is nothing wrong with this thought process, after all, the team has won six Super Bowls and is now tied with the New England Patriots atop the Super Bowl list.

Feeling the heat a bit from another NFL franchise for the first time in a long time, it makes sense the Steelers’ fan base might be a bit more pessimistic than most. Again, the team is coming off a one-and-done playoff departure in 2017, and missing the playoffs altogether in 2018.

The fans were frustrated, and rightfully so. But how frustrated? Take a look at the SB Nation Fan Pulse survey results below. At the end of the 2018 season less than 25% of the fan base was confident in the team’s direction. That number jumped significantly in free agency and the signings of Steven Nelson, Mark Barron and Donte Moncrief, but even after trading up to select Devin Bush in the first round of the 2019 NFL Draft didn’t move the needle too much. Still, less than 75% of the fans were happy with the direction of the team.

But how do these compare to the rest of the AFC North?

As I’m sure this comes as a shock to no one, the Cleveland Browns are more than happy to win the offseason. At the end of the season nearly 100% of the fan base was confident in the direction of the team. And somehow that number continued to go up after trading for Odell Bekham Jr. and throughout the draft.

In Baltimore, things were a little different than Cleveland. At the end of the season fans were all about Lamar Jackson and the direction of the team — then free agency hit. Gone is C.J. Mosley, Terrell Suggs, Joe Flacco (via trade) and Eric Weddle. While they did sign Earl Thomas, the confidence slipped, but started to gain momentum after the draft. More than 75% of the Ravens fans like the direction of the team.

Then there are the Bengals. After a horrible, and injury plagued, 2018 season, their confidence level mirrored that of the Steelers, but they still had more confidence than Pittsburgh’s fans. Little by little, the Bengals fans are starting to believe again. Gone is Marvin Lewis, gone is Vontaze Burfict and the new coach seems to have this team headed in a direction the fans can get behind.

When I see these charts, the one thing I can’t get out of my mind is how pessimistic Steelers fans can be. After being the editor of this establishment for 4 seasons, I realize there are fans, many who comment regularly here, who would complain about a Steelers Super Bowl win.

They would say something to the effect of...

“Yeah, they won the Super Bowl, but the secondary got shredded...AGAIN!”

“Sure, they won, but they threw the ball 55 times and only ran it 15 times! Fire Fichtner!”

“The Steelers won, but should have blown this team out...typical Tomlin. Fire Tomlin!”

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...cake-fan-pulse

Legend

User Info Menu

How many fans in the survey? 4 or 4 million?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I’m not overly pessimistic but maybe just unrealistic. I really do think that the franchise should be sitting on at least a dozen Lombardi’s by now and it kind of annoys me that they aren’t. Too many wasted seasons and wasted talent IMHO.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    I’m not overly pessimistic but maybe just unrealistic. I really do think that the franchise should be sitting on at least a dozen Lombardi’s by now and it kind of annoys me that they aren’t. Too many wasted seasons and wasted talent IMHO.
    if we had only kept John Kuhn we would have at least a dozen Lombardis by now

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

hot takes like these are why I don't respect or read behind the steel curtain.

having listened to Cleveland radio the in the last 5 years the answer is obvious

Hartman comes off as a schmuck and why I prefer steelers depot as a blog site for opinion and steelers news. they actually back their pieces up with facts. at least they do with Dave Bryan and Alex kozora. the marczi guy that writes for them is a buffoon who only pens puff pieces for the most part

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Who cares about this article?

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    Are you being real with this or is this sarcasm? If you are real, I think this is a problem. Steeler Fans think winning the SuperBowl should be simple and that it is the birthright of the Steelers. There are 31 other teams trying to do this, and it is a big business. The Steelers do not have built in advantages but the fans, it seems, are spoiled and have unrealistic expectations. Possibly by making it look easy in the 70s by winning 4 in 6 years. This was before the era of free agency and before scouting became as exacting and scientific as it has become.

There have been 43 SuperBowls and the Steelers and the Patriots lead with 6 victories. Cowboys and San Fran next with 5. Green Bay and Giants with 4. There are twelve teams that have never won a Superbowl. Bengals, Bills, Browns Cardinals, Chargers, Falcons, Jaguars, Lions, Panthers, Texans, Titans and Vikings. I venture to say that all of these have made tremendous investments in terms of building stadiums, facilities, acquiring talent, coaches for every capacity in the effort to do this. It is a hard goal to achieve with so much competition.

I don't think fans in total have a real sense of the talent on other teams. They only think in terms of talent on the Steelers and always assume it to be far superior. I think the Steelers have maintained the tradition by being competitive for the most part, by making the playoffs, , most of the time and being in the hunt.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    Are you being real with this or is this sarcasm? If you are real, I think this is a problem. Steeler Fans think winning the SuperBowl should be simple and that it is the birthright of the Steelers. There are 31 other teams trying to do this, and it is a big business. The Steelers do not have built in advantages but the fans, it seems, are spoiled and have unrealistic expectations. Possibly by making it look easy in the 70s by winning 4 in 6 years. This was before the era of free agency and before scouting became as exacting and scientific as it has become.

There have been 43 SuperBowls and the Steelers and the Patriots lead with 6 victories. Cowboys and San Fran next with 5. Green Bay and Giants with 4. There are twelve teams that have never won a Superbowl. Bengals, Bills, Browns Cardinals, Chargers, Falcons, Jaguars, Lions, Panthers, Texans, Titans and Vikings. I venture to say that all of these have made tremendous investments in terms of building stadiums, facilities, acquiring talent, coaches for every capacity in the effort to do this. It is a hard goal to achieve with so much competition.

I don't think fans in total have a real sense of the talent on other teams. They only think in terms of talent on the Steelers and always assume it to be far superior. I think the Steelers have maintained the tradition by being competitive for the most part, by making the playoffs, , most of the time and being in the hunt.
    I would agree with most of this except that there is a miserable, cheating, arrogant, yet extremely well-coached team farther north-east of us, that is accomplishing what most Steelers fans crave.

I think Steelers fans would be more realistic and patient if there wasn't another team doing what the cheaters are doing over the last 2 decades.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It’s definitely unrealistic to expect a dozen SB trophies.

I get complaining about years when it looked like we had SB contending teams but c’mon son... a dozen?

One thing that’s always cracked me up is the “we wasted Ben’s years” like Ben has been this super awesome QB and the rest of the team and FO has screwed him over. He makes mistakes just like everyone else. It’s not easy to win a SB let alone make one. You have to really have some luck on your side most years... or have refs who call silly PI’s to keep drives alive or kill drives.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I would agree with most of this except that there is a miserable, cheating, arrogant, yet extremely well-coached team farther north-east of us, that is accomplishing what most Steelers fans crave.

I think Steelers fans would be more realistic and patient if there wasn't another team doing what the cheaters are doing over the last 2 decades.
    By any means necessary.

Honest to goodness I have never seen a franchise get this many calls and lucky breaks in my 30 years of NFL.

and no, I’m not 30 but I’m not going to act like I have been watching and caring about the NFL since birth.