Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: When it comes to the most pessimistic fans in AFC North, the Steelers take the cake

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I don't know that I buy your theory. Couldn't someone argue that luck has LESS of an influence on playoff success -- otherwise, wouldn't you have a lot more different playoff teams winning Super Bowls than what we've seen?
    I think the real answer is somewhere in the middle.

Teams typically aren't as good or bad as the 16 game schedule. They're usually as good as their last 4-5 games imho. And the teams that appear to be lucky are often the better team - playing better football at the right time.

I think you would have to take a look at regular team performance in the last quarter of a season relative to quality of schedule.

I think we'd be better off playing all the best teams in the first 2 quarters of the season to show us how hard we need to work and how much we need to press to improve going into the second half.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think the real answer is somewhere in the middle.

Teams typically aren't as good or bad as the 16 game schedule. They're usually as good as their last 4-5 games imho. And the teams that appear to be lucky are often the better team - playing better football at the right time.

I think you would have to take a look at regular team performance in the last quarter of a season relative to quality of schedule.

I think we'd be better off playing all the best teams in the first 2 quarters of the season to show us how hard we need to work and how much we need to press to improve going into the second half.
    Health of a team at a certain time at the end of the year has an influence as well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I don't know that I buy your theory. Couldn't someone argue that luck has LESS of an influence on playoff success -- otherwise, wouldn't you have a lot more different playoff teams winning Super Bowls than what we've seen?
    I think that this is also about having a bigger sample size than one playoff run.

I think that historically we have a small number of teams that (1) have a consistently good process for roster construction and (2) hit the jackpot in the draft (usually at QB).

I think the relative importance of 1 and 2 probably flipped at the introduction of free agency (I think roster construction / cap management is harder now but pre UFA it was mostly draft luck) .

I bet we could all come up with a list of 6 teams or so that included the eventual SB winner most years. But it would be much harder to pick the 1 team that would win in any given year.

As in all things NFL, the Pats seem to screw this up. I think because they are amazing at roster construction and they have the GOAT at QB who doesn't want a market value contract because he values winning more.

Banned

User Info Menu

The Pats KNOW what positions to pay and what positions not to pay. They are waaaaaay ahead of that then 99% of the teams in the NFL.

Captain Lemming gave a great example on how they know to pay legit cornerbacks while we're paying high end WR's.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    They are waaaaaay ahead of that then 99% of the teams in the NFL
    That is the definition of an outlier.

Compared to the other 30 teams in the league, the Steelers are consistently competitive, winning more games than any team outside of New England during the Belichick/Brady era.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Joe Haden thinks Steelers can use doubts to their advantage

Posted by Josh Alper on May 24, 2019, 1:30 PM EDT

The Steelers spent some time this week talking about the improved atmosphere around the team after things got a bit toxic during the messy end to the 2018 season, but it will take some time to see if that translates to wins on the field.

Until it does, the Steelers are likely to continue to hear doubts that they can return to the playoffs this season. They’ve heard some from oddsmakers who installed the Browns as favorites to win the AFC North and it’s not hard to come across others around the football world who are skeptical of the team.

Cornerback Joe Haden thinks the team can use those doubts “to our advantage.”

“You hear the outside noise,” Haden said, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “Usually, Pittsburgh, [outsiders are] always, ‘Aw, they’re going to be in the playoffs.’ They just basically put us in the playoffs. Now to hear people not talk as highly of us has kind of put a chip on our shoulder. I think that’s a great thing. We’ve got something to really work for.”

If the AFC North turns out as the oddsmakers project, it would be a significant change for the division, the Browns and the Steelers. It’s only May, though, and that’s plenty of time for Haden and his teammates to keep things from changing too much.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/24/joe-haden-thinks-steelers-can-use-doubts-to-their-advantage/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This will probably be my most pessimistic year when it comes to expectations. Maybe after a few games I will change my tune but I’m not feeling like this is a great team right now.

Great as far as atmosphere is concerned but not sure it will translate to wins.

I usually have them slated for at least 11 wins every year but keeping my expectations low.

Maybe they will get better the closer we get to some live action.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    The Pats KNOW what positions to pay and what positions not to pay. They are waaaaaay ahead of that then 99% of the teams in the NFL.

Captain Lemming gave a great example on how they know to pay legit cornerbacks while we're paying high end WR's.
    Gotta win in the playoffs.. can’t just be good in the regular season; our history is defined by what we’ve done in the playoffs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I remember having to be at a work event during Super Bowl XL. My employer put on a Super Bowl party and I got to watch with some colleagues that I didn't normally watch games with that were also Steelers fans. After the game it was crazy. One guy did nothing but complain about how terrible Ben was and how FWP got lucky and Cowher this and that. I'm thinking, "we just won the Super Bowl!!" Crazy.

yinzers are gonna yinz.

Its funny always seeing fans say how terrible Ben was in XL.
    aside from the INT, which indeed was a terrible throw, what else stands out in that game as being so bad?

there were 3 - 4 balls that hit receivers in the hands. I think you can spread the blame around on those throws that ended up incomplete.
    and how would his numbers look if Hines comes down with the ball in the end zone near the sideline or gains another yard on the 4th down play where ben scrambled to make a play and threw a bomb to hines that ended up on the 1 yard line?

Then Ben does something the yinzer god couldn't do with 2 tries and punches it in for the TD.
    Something that's not reflected in QB rating, but if he were scam newton or colin Krapernick he would be applauded every time the SB was brought up.
    He also ran a boot leg on 3rd down late in the game to move the chains and kill the clock.

maybe some "fans" should check out some other young QBs SB games? how did Goff look in this last SB with a tremendous amount of more talent at his disposal

Looking back, You know who hasn't played well in superbowl(s) for us and hardly gets a mention?
    another future Hall of famer troy polumalu

Beaten by jeremy 'he soft' stevens for a TD in XL.
    seattle rang up almost 400 yards on offense

SB43 -Still chasing larry Fitz on the cards go ahead TD. down by double digits entering the final quarter.
    407 yards allowed by the Defense

Jennings go ahead TD right in front of TP. green bay passed the ball all over the defense. If not for a number of drops, rodgers would have thrown for 500 yards

and you can throw in the AFCC in 04. brady pumps fakes him for a long TD to put the nail in the coffin
    Last edited by NJ-STEELER; 05-27-2019 at 03:45 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ben played bad in that SB, especially compared to how he played leading up to it.

No need to try and explain it any other way.