Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When it comes to the most pessimistic fans in AFC North, the Steelers take the cake

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    You mean like the ZERO SB WINS Cowher would have if the most accurate kicker in the league did not choke away a Colts victory?
    Yeah, we had some luck go our way there (and some really bad luck too with the Bettis, turtle on his back, fumble and the Polamalu interception overturn that shouldn't have been). But the kicker didn't choke away sure victory. He choked away a tie and a CHANCE for victory.
    Last edited by Eich; 05-17-2019 at 11:09 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Well the immaculate reception was a planned thing of beauty. Just like Noll drew it up.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Well the immaculate reception was a planned thing of beauty. Just like Noll drew it up.
    You do know that the "immaculate reception" has nothing to do with Nolls 4 championships right?

Nevertheless, it is in principle yet another proof of Oh Wows valid contention my friend.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah I know. I was just emphasizing the randomness sometimes in football.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Yeah I know. I was just emphasizing the randomness sometimes in football.
    So you agree that randomness is important in single game elimination tournaments?

If that's the case, would you also agree that the longer sample size in the regular season gives a better measure of how good a team is?

The reason some of us believe that is because randomness (or luck) has more influence on playoff success than it does regular season success (because there are fewer playoff games and the luck is more likely to even out in a large set of regular season games).

Legend

User Info Menu

Stop..........

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    So you agree that randomness is important in single game elimination tournaments?

If that's the case, would you also agree that the longer sample size in the regular season gives a better measure of how good a team is?

The reason some of us believe that is because randomness (or luck) has more influence on playoff success than it does regular season success (because there are fewer playoff games and the luck is more likely to even out in a large set of regular season games).
    I think that requires a

BOOM!!!

Starter

User Info Menu

Haha..

Got’eeeeem

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't know that I buy your theory. Couldn't someone argue that luck has LESS of an influence on playoff success -- otherwise, wouldn't you have a lot more different playoff teams winning Super Bowls than what we've seen?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I don't know that I buy your theory. Couldn't someone argue that luck has LESS of an influence on playoff success -- otherwise, wouldn't you have a lot more different playoff teams winning Super Bowls than what we've seen?
    Anything can happen in a one game scenario.

A team could be up 28-3 with 18 minutes left in the Super Bowl, rather than attempting to bleed the clock with your run game, you pass so much that your QB gets sacked 3 times in the final 16 minutes of the game, losing a combined 32 yards in those 3 plays, and fumbling away the ball to the other team on one of those sacks.

A team could be down 4 points in the Super Bowl with under a minute to go and have 2nd and goal from the 1 yard line with the best short yardage back of this generation, plus a timeout in their pocket, but instead of running it in for the TD, you try a risky goalline pass that is intercepted, sealing the game.

In both cases, one team was extremely lucky the opposing coaches were that stupid.
    Trade 1.20, 2.52, & 2020 3rd for 1.8 or 1.9

1.8 or 1.9 ILB Devin White
    3.66 OLB Chase Winovich
    3.83 S Amani Hooker
    4.122 TE Dawson Knox
    5.141 CB Kris Boyd
    6.175 WR Keelan Doss
    6.192 G Beau Benzschawel
    6.207 RB Kerrith Whyte
    7.219 DE Armon Watts

or

1.20 CB Byron Murphy