Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Not Doing So Well With UDFAs

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Is this really a problem? Are other teams with more UDFA’s “better” teams because they have more UDFA’s taking snaps?
    I'm not sure it matters how you get your players to build your roster. It just matters that you build a strong enough roster to make the playoffs, win playoff games, and win SuperBowls. All things we've struggled with.

I think it's ok to suggest we have a problem and imho, it's bigger than just UDFAs. It's about filling the roster with quality talent that's good enough to win.

If we're not winning SuperBowls every year, there's stuff to complain about and improve. Heck, even if we win a SuperBowl, there's stuff to improve.

Bottom line, other teams are better cause they're winning playoff games and SuperBowls.

Legend

User Info Menu

Is this really a problem? Are other teams with more UDFA’s “better” teams because they have more UDFA’s taking snaps?
    If UDFA's are taking more snaps logically that means other teams are failing with draft picks

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    If UDFA's are taking more snaps logically that means other teams are failing with draft picks
    Actually, that's not what it means at all. The Steelers hit on guys like Willie Parker, James Harrison and Nate Washington as UDFAs during an era where the Steelers were nailing the draft. Or Donnie Shell if you want to go back farther. Only a fool would suggest that the Steelers were "failing at the draft" in either time period.

If you look at the current offensive line - generally regarded as the best in the NFL - 40% of the starters and the top inside backup are UDFAs. Even teams that draft well can and should find UDFAs.

Legend

User Info Menu

yea im not buying that whole failing with UDFA's thing

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Steelers picking too many projects and tweeners. They don't have the coaching staff for all these marginal players. Find playmakers, not athletes you're trying to make into playmakers.
    weve done that with Sutton Smith and U Gilbert. Lets see if it translates.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I'm not sure it matters how you get your players to build your roster. It just matters that you build a strong enough roster to make the playoffs, win playoff games, and win SuperBowls. All things we've struggled with.

I think it's ok to suggest we have a problem and imho, it's bigger than just UDFAs. It's about filling the roster with quality talent that's good enough to win.

If we're not winning SuperBowls every year, there's stuff to complain about and improve. Heck, even if we win a SuperBowl, there's stuff to improve.

Bottom line, other teams are better cause they're winning playoff games and SuperBowls.
    Not sure I would call it a problem though.

We haven’t had a problem making the playoffs until last year. Even then we were only a few plays from a totally different outcome.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Actually, that's not what it means at all. The Steelers hit on guys like Willie Parker, James Harrison and Nate Washington as UDFAs during an era where the Steelers were nailing the draft. Or Donnie Shell if you want to go back farther. Only a fool would suggest that the Steelers were "failing at the draft" in either time period.

If you look at the current offensive line - generally regarded as the best in the NFL - 40% of the starters and the top inside backup are UDFAs. Even teams that draft well can and should find UDFAs.

I don’t think our OL is one of the best but that’s just me. Anyways. The fact we have 40% of UDFA’s proves it’s not a problem. Once we get one who works they stick around. One less roster space to fill with another UDFA.

I have no idea if we were “failing” at the draft during those periods but maybe they were too heavy and light in the back end?

Not sure.

I just think using SB years or SB runs as proof something works is cherry picking. We also failed to reach the SB or the playoffs with those guys.

Legend

User Info Menu

Not sure I would call it a problem though.

We haven’t had a problem making the playoffs until last year. Even then we were only a few plays from a totally different outcome.
    I'm not arguing we haven't been competitive at all. But over the last 10 years, we're 5-6 in the playoffs including losing the SuperBowl to the Packers.

But then again, maybe it is a problem and here's another way to look at it. We haven't even won a single playoff game in 7 of the last 10 seasons. A 30% chance of winning 1 playoff game for a great franchise seems really low. And it points to something being the problem. Either the coaching. Or the players. Or a little of both.

But I would argue it must be the players because Tomlin has shown he can have success when he has talent. He's also shown he can get more out of lesser talent. But I think his biggest handicap is we aren't hitting it out of the park with Draft Picks or UDFAs over the last 10 years.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I'm not arguing we haven't been competitive at all. But over the last 10 years, we're 5-6 in the playoffs including losing the SuperBowl to the Packers.

But then again, maybe it is a problem and here's another way to look at it. We haven't even won a single playoff game in 7 of the last 10 seasons. A 30% chance of winning 1 playoff game for a great franchise seems really low. And it points to something being the problem. Either the coaching. Or the players. Or a little of both.

But I would argue it must be the players because Tomlin has shown he can have success when he has talent. He's also shown he can get more out of lesser talent. But I think his biggest handicap is we aren't hitting it out of the park with Draft Picks or UDFAs over the last 10 years.
    Curious how that 7 out of 10 years stat compares to the rest of the league NOT named the Patriots.

Legend

User Info Menu

Curious how that 7 out of 10 years stat compares to the rest of the league NOT named the Patriots.
    I don't know an easy way to find the answer, so I sanity checked 1 other team with a HOF QB and a long tenured coach - New Orleans.

They were 5 out of 10 years with 1 SuperBowl victory in the last 10 years.

So a little better, but they also had several losing seasons. 3 out of 10 probably isn't horrible, but might be mediocre with a tenured SuperBowl winning coach and HOF QB.