Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Not Doing So Well With UDFAs

Legend

User Info Menu

looks like we signed a good UDFA punter to give Berry some competition:

Ian Berryman of Western Carolina was ranked by some sources as the #3 punter available in the 2019 Draft. With the Steelers not signing a second punter to their roster and two punters being selected in the 2019 Draft there is at least the possibility the Steelers were considering using one of their Draft picks in the 6th or 7th Round had Wishnowsky or Bailey fell further. Berryman is an accomplished directional kicker that rarely gives the returner an opportunity to return the football. Berryman "closed his Western Carolina career as the program’s all-time leader in punting average at 43.8 yards per punt, breaking the previous benchmark of 42.8 yards per kick. Finished his career with 206 punts – fourth in WCU history – downing an impressive 82 of his kicks inside the opposition’s 20-yard line representing 40-percent of his kicks … 56 of his career punts traveled 50+yards … Was a three-time All-Southern Conference selection and twice named All-America."

Legend

User Info Menu

The power of punctuation (not quite as vital as the comma used in "Let's eat, Grandma" but the same idea):

Who is the Steelers' punter? It's Berry, man.

Who is the Steelers' punter? It's Berryman.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So the draft picks are outplaying the UDFAs, getting on the field, and hanging around on the roster....and that's an issue????

Sometimes not finding any hidden gems just means that you didn't need to

Drafted players still on the roster:

2016 - 5/7
    2017 - 7/8
    2018 - 6/7

Compare to:

2015 - 2/8 (Finney and Eli Rodgers UDFA)
    2014 - 3/9 if you count Shazier still (Hubbard was UDFA)
    2013 - 1/9 (no significant UDFA)

So 3 useful UDFA from those 3 years.

This is a real stretch to analyze and complain about not finding UDFA gems

If there is any real issue, it had been the lack of guys hanging around past their first contract - that's where the low retention numbers from 2013-2015 are now hurting the team

Golson, Coates, Doran Grant, Jesse James

Archer, Bryant

Jarvis Jones, Bell, Wheaton, Sharmarko, Landry

Legend

User Info Menu

Bud Dupree
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think it's a reasoned and well researched article. kozora is the best writer the depot has, imo and always supports his positions with facts and numbers

UDFA is just another way of mining players. I am of the opinion that the steelers do a poor job of churning the bottom of their roster and therefore don't get their eyes on enough potential diamonds in the rough. I mean how many years do bums like Brian Allen and Rodney Dangerfield need to hang around before the coaching staff realizes that they can't play a lick

move em out and give some other stiff a chance to show what he can do. you might get lucky and hit on someone

Legend

User Info Menu

Exactly Eddie. Which is why I said earlier I’m tired of all these “ experiments” on this team.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I think it's a reasoned and well researched article. kozora is the best writer the depot has, imo and always supports his positions with facts and numbers

UDFA is just another way of mining players. I am of the opinion that the steelers do a poor job of churning the bottom of their roster and therefore don't get their eyes on enough potential diamonds in the rough. I mean how many years do bums like Brian Allen and Rodney Dangerfield need to hang around before the coaching staff realizes that they can't play a lick

move em out and give some other stiff a chance to show what he can do. you might get lucky and hit on someone

$$$$ post!

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers picking too many projects and tweeners. They don't have the coaching staff for all these marginal players. Find playmakers, not athletes you're trying to make into playmakers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    So the draft picks are outplaying the UDFAs, getting on the field, and hanging around on the roster....and that's an issue????

Sometimes not finding any hidden gems just means that you didn't need to

Drafted players still on the roster:

2016 - 5/7
    2017 - 7/8
    2018 - 6/7

Compare to:

2015 - 2/8 (Finney and Eli Rodgers UDFA)
    2014 - 3/9 if you count Shazier still (Hubbard was UDFA)
    2013 - 1/9 (no significant UDFA)

So 3 useful UDFA from those 3 years.

This is a real stretch to analyze and complain about not finding UDFA gems

If there is any real issue, it had been the lack of guys hanging around past their first contract - that's where the low retention numbers from 2013-2015 are now hurting the team

Golson, Coates, Doran Grant, Jesse James

Archer, Bryant

Jarvis Jones, Bell, Wheaton, Sharmarko, Landry
    shame on you for seeing a positive view of what is happening

Starter

User Info Menu

Is this really a problem? Are other teams with more UDFA’s “better” teams because they have more UDFA’s taking snaps?