Thread: The Decompression Is Over

Backup

User Info Menu

The Decompression Is Over

After fighting the urge to get on here and go off on the Johnson pick at #66 during the draft, I decided, like most years, it was better to sit with it and decompress a little before adding any thoughts. So, two weeks later is about right...

Yeah, still not stoked by the pick but at piece with it. Colbert has done okay with WRs in the past. This pick may make sense in 2-3 years if the kid has the skills and traits they say he has.

Favorite pick was Layne--a bargain at #83. I probably would've picked him (or Chauncey Gardner-Johnson) at #66, so #83 was a steal. I love the Bush trade-pick too, but your 1st rounder (especially at #10) should be a really good pick anyway. He'll be a baller.

Snell, meh. With the talent at RB still on the board (after all, we were looking for a backup RB) I probably would've gone Moreau or Daylon Mack to keep the LBs clean on run plays and pick a RB in 5 or 6. That said, I like Snell and he's the clear bell-cow replacement should Connor get nicked. Samuels is a little more gadgety, and I think he'll be playing a lot of H-Back and TE type formations this year, as he's a natural pass-catcher. I'll be bold--Samuels will have 50+ catches this year. A stat line of 15-20 carries a game for Connor, 8-12 for Snell, and 3-5 for Samuels would keep them all fresh and provide some changeup.

Gentry, oh my. Upside is he's huge and a work in progress. See me in 2-3 years. Still not sold. That said, I thought we'd be able to get Drew Sample in the 5th (who knew). Thought this was a bigger need. That said, as I mentioned above, I think Samuels will get a lot of those second TE snaps this year and I also think our swing backup OT will be out there a bunch. Still would be keeping an eye out for veteran releases, now through pre-season's end. The #2 TE won't get 50% of the snaps this year like JJ did last year. Lack of depth behind Vance is a little scary.

Buggs, Smith, Gilbert--like Buggs as solid backup material, like the athleticism of both Smith and Gilbert. We at least could be fast at LB this year. I wouldn't be surprised at all if all three either make the 53 or at least PS.

Gray--actually had him as a potential UDFA we might get. Guess they liked him even better than that. Probably a swing G-T type with power. If Munchak's student learned his lesson's this may be a good project for him.

So overall, I see all these guys making the 53 or PS for us. The added depth on D is welcome, as in today's NFL teams really should have 16-18 guys getting significant snaps, as opposed to the 13-14 of 5-10 years ago. It is becoming a sub-package game. I do think we should keep an eye on current FA (they don't count in the supplemental picks formula as of Tuesday) and cuts or releases as we may find a TE, S or OLB that is enticing and cheap.

I'll give the draft a B-, and I think we'll like the Bush, Layne, and Snell picks this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerMaine83 View Post
    After fighting the urge to get on here and go off on the Johnson pick at #66 during the draft, I decided, like most years, it was better to sit with it and decompress a little before adding any thoughts. So, two weeks later is about right...

Yeah, still not stoked by the pick but at piece with it. Colbert has done okay with WRs in the past. This pick may make sense in 2-3 years if the kid has the skills and traits they say he has.

Favorite pick was Layne--a bargain at #83. I probably would've picked him (or Chauncey Gardner-Johnson) at #66, so #83 was a steal. I love the Bush trade-pick too, but your 1st rounder (especially at #10) should be a really good pick anyway. He'll be a baller.

Snell, meh. With the talent at RB still on the board (after all, we were looking for a backup RB) I probably would've gone Moreau or Daylon Mack to keep the LBs clean on run plays and pick a RB in 5 or 6. That said, I like Snell and he's the clear bell-cow replacement should Connor get nicked. Samuels is a little more gadgety, and I think he'll be playing a lot of H-Back and TE type formations this year, as he's a natural pass-catcher. I'll be bold--Samuels will have 50+ catches this year. A stat line of 15-20 carries a game for Connor, 8-12 for Snell, and 3-5 for Samuels would keep them all fresh and provide some changeup.

Gentry, oh my. Upside is he's huge and a work in progress. See me in 2-3 years. Still not sold. That said, I thought we'd be able to get Drew Sample in the 5th (who knew). Thought this was a bigger need. That said, as I mentioned above, I think Samuels will get a lot of those second TE snaps this year and I also think our swing backup OT will be out there a bunch. Still would be keeping an eye out for veteran releases, now through pre-season's end. The #2 TE won't get 50% of the snaps this year like JJ did last year. Lack of depth behind Vance is a little scary.

Buggs, Smith, Gilbert--like Buggs as solid backup material, like the athleticism of both Smith and Gilbert. We at least could be fast at LB this year. I wouldn't be surprised at all if all three either make the 53 or at least PS.

Gray--actually had him as a potential UDFA we might get. Guess they liked him even better than that. Probably a swing G-T type with power. If Munchak's student learned his lesson's this may be a good project for him.

So overall, I see all these guys making the 53 or PS for us. The added depth on D is welcome, as in today's NFL teams really should have 16-18 guys getting significant snaps, as opposed to the 13-14 of 5-10 years ago. It is becoming a sub-package game. I do think we should keep an eye on current FA (they don't count in the supplemental picks formula as of Tuesday) and cuts or releases as we may find a TE, S or OLB that is enticing and cheap.

I'll give the draft a B-, and I think we'll like the Bush, Layne, and Snell picks this year.
    Great post!!! What is your opinion on what you think Moncrief and Barron will bring?
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Backup

User Info Menu

The draft doesn't change my thoughts on Moncrief. As you have "boundary CBs", I think Moncrief is a "boundary WR", in that his job is to get stuff down the sideline and try to "take the top off" the D. I would have preferred that we got John Brown in FA, but his price got too steep. But if Moncrief can work with Ben to produce 35+ catches at 16+ per catch, I'd say we got what we want, a WR that tests the CB down the field and makes the S hesitate a split second or take a half step the wrong way. That will allow the "crossers" to get a little space to operate. I also think, from what I saw those last few games, that Washington will take a big leap this year and offer some downfield distraction as well. All in all, I think we'll be fine at WR.

My thoughts on Barron did change after the draft, but I still like the pickup, and I still think he'll see a lot of snaps. Bush obviously takes some snaps away from him, but his presence on the field gives us experience and flexibility. Last year was a down (if you believe PFF) for him, but I think that had more to do with how he was used or misued in the Rams D. I think he'll fly around, make some plays, hit some people and be a key part in our much improved middle of the D this year

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerMaine83 View Post
    The draft doesn't change my thoughts on Moncrief. As you have "boundary CBs", I think Moncrief is a "boundary WR", in that his job is to get stuff down the sideline and try to "take the top off" the D. I would have preferred that we got John Brown in FA, but his price got too steep. But if Moncrief can work with Ben to produce 35+ catches at 16+ per catch, I'd say we got what we want, a WR that tests the CB down the field and makes the S hesitate a split second or take a half step the wrong way. That will allow the "crossers" to get a little space to operate. I also think, from what I saw those last few games, that Washington will take a big leap this year and offer some downfield distraction as well. All in all, I think we'll be fine at WR.

My thoughts on Barron did change after the draft, but I still like the pickup, and I still think he'll see a lot of snaps. Bush obviously takes some snaps away from him, but his presence on the field gives us experience and flexibility. Last year was a down (if you believe PFF) for him, but I think that had more to do with how he was used or misued in the Rams D. I think he'll fly around, make some plays, hit some people and be a key part in our much improved middle of the D this year
    Your quite possibly right about Barron being misused by the Rams. There were rumors floating around here on how Barron wasn't the biggest Wade Phillips fan and maybe that is the reason. I think Moncrief will give you what your looking for as far as being that boundary wide receiver; plus I think he'll give you a little more as well. I'm not sure on Washington; To me, he's in danger of getting surpassed by DT if he's everything they are saying he's suppose to be.

Out of the six wr's, two of them are going to unhappy in playing time. I'm thinking it's Washington and Rogers.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Backup

User Info Menu

Yeah, the WR battle will be interesting. We have 6 that I think will be in the 53, but one won't get a hat on gameday. That said, I like the depth and with a tweak of a hammy or a bad game, it'll be that guy that didn't get a hat's turn. Think about it--is Rogers, Swits or Washington that bad of a 5th or 6th WR if that's the way it turns out. Plus, Swits and Diontae can both help in the return game. I'm hoping they all kick butt.