Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If Denver did not agree to our trade, who do you think we would have taken at #20?

Legend

User Info Menu

I think they would have taken the guy taken at #20--Noah Fant

If not him them likely Sweat or Savage

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Many seem to believe we stole Bush from the Bengals with the trade up. To me Denver very likely takes Bush at 10 anyway so the Bengals likely knew whey had to jump up if they wanted to get Bush n that he would not be there for them at 11.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    The reaction of this board when rumors surfaced regarding out interest in guys like Darnell Savage and Rock Ya-Sin was interesting.

Many folks freaked out thinking that Colbert and Tomlin might possibly make a "extreme reach" for someone like Savage or Ya-Sin at #20.

Well, it turns out that Savage was the first safety off the board, ahead of more heralded names such as Abram, Rapp, Adderley, etc. Green Bay actually traded up to get him at #21.

And then Ya-Sin was taken by the Colts (who absolutely owned the draft last year with Quenton Nelson, Darius Leonard, Braden Smith, etc.) only one spot after board favorite Byron Murphy, and a full dozen spots before the much more heralded Greedy Williams.
    Savage is savage. I honestly couldn’t find much wrong with his game. I believe he has a perennial pro bowler ceiling.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Many seem to believe we stole Bush from the Bengals with the trade up. To me Denver very likely takes Bush at 10 anyway so the Bengals likely knew whey had to jump up if they wanted to get Bush n that he would not be there for them at 11.
    nothing like killing two birds with one stone. Taking a talent like Bush, and stealing him from a division rival is a sweet sweet thing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    nothing like killing two birds with one stone. Taking a talent like Bush, and stealing him from a division rival is a sweet sweet thing.
    Yes!! After the way they took Willie Jackson from us a few years ago, it felt nice sticking it to the Bengals. And fill our biggest need too.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

For what it's worth, this is by no means the first time that we have traded ahead of Cincy to take someone they wanted.

Last year, Cincy had back-to-back picks in the 3rd round at #77 and #78, and we were sitting right behind them at #79 (the pick we got from Oakland in the Martavis Bryant trade).

I heard that our plan originally was to take Mason Rudolph with the pick #60 in round 2, but after making that trade with Oakland, our front office determined that WR was now a more immediate need, so we opted for Rudolph's college teammate James Washington there instead.

As Rudolph continued to slide down toward the middle of round 3 (Cincy was reportedly interested in him with one of their two picks there), we traded ahead of their two picks up to #76 to take Mason Rudolph for ourselves.

Also, Cincy did not trade in front of us to take William Jackson. They were scheduled to pick at #24 in 2016 and we were scheduled to pick at #25 that year. I think our front office did not feel the need to try to trade up ahead of them because I'm guessing we assumed that they would have greater needs there than taking yet another first round CB so soon after taking CB Darqueze Dennard in the 1st round in 2014 and CB Dre Kirkpatrick in the 1st round in 2012.
    Trade 1.20, 2.52, & 2020 3rd for 1.8 or 1.9

1.8 or 1.9 ILB Devin White
    3.66 OLB Chase Winovich
    3.83 S Amani Hooker
    4.122 TE Dawson Knox
    5.141 CB Kris Boyd
    6.175 WR Keelan Doss
    6.192 G Beau Benzschawel
    6.207 RB Kerrith Whyte
    7.219 DE Armon Watts

or

1.20 CB Byron Murphy